Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Tulisan
That works well, just remember to deselect the kernel in the customize options.

P

Paul, how is it different from your install, besides the one-stop-shop install? Is it using the same ktexts as yours, or it's updated?

Guest Tulisan
Same as mine pretty much!

P

That's good. I'm about done downloading that dvd and will try it also. Though your guide is quite heavy for a really mac newbie (like me), I have to say I already learned quite a bit about how an osx functions by just following your guide. :D

Edited by Tulisan

Guest Tulisan
Anyone had any luck trying a dual boot? I'm not having any luck. :D

I have mine setup as triple boot (vista, xp and mac os) and just using darwin as the main bootloader. What problems are you having?

Guest Dave Smith

Hi Tulisan,

Problems?? where do i begin.

Briefly what setup are you using? partitionwise? and what method are you using to install the extra operating systems.

Guest Tulisan

Ok here's what I did.

1. I installed vista on c drive (using an external drive). when preparing the harddrive, I partitioned it with 20gb and formatted it NTFS, and left the rest untouched. after installation, I went to disk management and made several more partitions, 20gb primary (for OSX, not formatted, no drive letter assigned, a 20gb primary (for xp. NTFS formatted) and the rest as extended partition (fat32 formatted). so in all, I have 3 primary partitions, and one extended partition.

2. after setting up vista. I downloaded Acronis true image www.acronis.com, installed it, rebooted, then created a boot up disk on my old 512mb usb drive. Make sure you format it first to fat32 (in windows explorer, right click on the drive and choose format)

3. I booted off the usb drive (pressing F11 while the bios is booting), then created a backup of c: drive and saved the image file in the extended partition I created earlier. This serves as my data drive for all OS later on.

4. Next I booted up (external drive) using xp disk and installed xp on c: drive. Don't install it on the partition you allocated for xp earlier since it has a different drive letter assigned by BIOS. We wanted to have windows in c: drive if we boot up from vista or xp.

5. After setting up xp, repeat #3. you don't need to do #2 anymore since we only needed to create a usb boot drive initially.

6. After you created those two image files (vista and xp), boot again from the usb stick (F11) and do a drive recovery. you can start with vista and put it in the c: drive or you can start with xp. It doesn't matter which one is put in the c: drive. set the drive as Active drive. Then when that is done, reboot and check if vista is booting properly.

7. If successful, repeat #6 for the other image and restore it to the xp partition you created earlier (20gb). Set it as Active and then reboot. If successful, you now have a "dual boot" system. You will notice that even if you restored it on the third partition, it still carries with it the c: drive letter.

8. The last step would just be installing Mac osx on the unformatted partition. I initially used Paul's guide but reinstalled osx again later on using the slipstreamed osx install dvd made by stella. I found it much easier to install since everything is done automatically. I just needed to reinstall the "about this mac" pkg since it wasn't installed initially (don't know why). just boot from the dvd, uncheck kernel in patches (customize) and you're good to go. Make sure you format the partition using Mac extended (journaled)

At this point, the mac os would be your default bootup os using darwin bootloader. If you want to boot from vista or xp, just hit enter during boot up of darwin and select vista or xp. And viola, you have now a triple boot system.

Note: So as not to confuse myself during bootup, I renamed my c: drive in vista as VISTA, XP on my xp drive, and OSX on my mac os drive (during disk preparation/disk erasing). Lastly, my extended drive was simply renamed as DATA DRIVE and can be used by all OS (read/write)

Edited by Tulisan

Guest WearTheFoxHat
Well my wifi issue took another odd turn tonight. If you remember my apparently dead 1490 came back to life when I removed the middle standoff which was fouling it. However it refused to detect any networks so I figured it was damaged and ordered a new card this morning....

Anyhow whilst fiddling today I also found my Ethernet port doesn't recognise when a cable is plugged in! So thinking it could be some kind of fault with the entire OS X networking software I went through deleting every pref file I could find to do with networking, cleared all caches with Onyx but nothing will fix it. Can't think of anything else to do software wise so I'm going to do a full re-install tomorrow.

Wish I had removed that middle standoff straight away, it definitely fouls the bottom of the 1490 and I'd recommend removing it before installing the card.

I've been having the exact same issues as you:

Install 1490 ... and powers on but black screen.

Reboot ... doesn't find battery and wont boot.

remove 1490 and stick in original card ... boots!

Tried covering 1490 in tape to stop it touching standoff ... still no joy.

Going to have to brave the removal of the standoff!!! :S

Guest Tulisan

If the 1490 is installed the first time and is touching the standoff when the laptop is booted up, it may have already shorted something on the wifi module. And then covering the point of contact with a tape afterwards would be of no use.

My dell wifi is yet to arrive. What if I just use a metal file or something just to trim down (just enough clearance between) the standoff and not to remove it completely? maybe using a dremel would make it easier to trim it down. That way, the old card can still be swapped back if needed.

Edited by Tulisan

Guest Gomff
If the 1490 is installed the first time and is touching the standoff when the laptop is booted up, it may have already shorted something on the wifi module. And then covering the point of contact with a tape afterwards would be of no use.

My dell wifi is yet to arrive. What if I just use a metal file or something just to trim down (just enough clearance between) the standoff and not to remove it completely? maybe using a dremel would make it easier to trim it down. That way, the old card can still be swapped back if needed.

I'm wondering whether you just have a duff wifi card. I've had my advent to bits several times to switch out different hard drives (trying in vain to dual boot, given up now). I haven't done anything to the standoff or taped up my wifi card and it's been absolutely fine.

Hope you sort out your issues one way or another.

I'm also hoping someone gets the last bits working on OS X....I'd love the mic and earphone sockets to work as well as the built in Mic!

Guest Paul (MVP)

Same here, just chucked it in, standoff in place and it works.

The card has stickers etc. on the back where the standoff is...

P

Guest Dogcow
Same here, just chucked it in, standoff in place and it works.

The card has stickers etc. on the back where the standoff is...

P

Examining the back of my 1490 I could see the standoff had torn little holes in the sticker, if your using the 1490 with that standoff in place I really think it's just a matter of time before your have a problem.

I'm just about to start a fresh install, still not sure if my original 1490 is faulty but now have a spare just incase.

Guest Tulisan
Examining the back of my 1490 I could see the standoff had torn little holes in the sticker, if your using the 1490 with that standoff in place I really think it's just a matter of time before your have a problem.

I'm just about to start a fresh install, still not sure if my original 1490 is faulty but now have a spare just incase.

I've read somewhere that you should not tighten too much the screw that holds the wifi? Not sure if it's for the 1390 or the 1490

Edited by Tulisan

Guest Dogcow

Well re-installing did not bring my original 1490 back to life, however the new 1490 works just fine (pheww!) Interestingly this new card is a 1490 REV A03 whereas my original was a REV A02. The REV A03 seems to have fewer resistors on the back of the card so my be less susceptible to damage from the unused standoff.

Another thing I noticed, the battery release switch had caused some slight damage to the black wifi antennae cable, be careful how you route it, i.e no big loops sticking up.

I've read somewhere that you should not tighten too much the screw that holds the wifi? Not sure if it's for the 1390 or the 1490

The more you tighten the screw the harder the card is pressing down against the unused standoff, personally I'd remove the standoff.

Edited by Dogcow

Guest Tulisan

Nice to hear you finally got your problem fixed. Maybe the newer Revs has fewer components in them. I've seen Rev05 in Ebay, but I think both dell 1490 I bought from tongbaho are still Rev02 based on the pictures. I hope he shipped me the newer Revs. I have yet to receive any of them.

Thank for the tip regarding the battery release switch and the wires. If it's not that hard removing the standoff, I think I might just take it off too since I noticed the original wifi has holes in the end too.

Guest elbenski

I have a Rev 01 card that arrived this week. Here's a couple of photos.

You will note the only thing I can find that is "proud" is the small oblong piece highlighted in a tasteful shade of pink.

Is this what you feel is fouling?

post-408147-1217097353_thumb.jpg

Guest elbenski

You will note the only thing I can find that is "proud" is the small oblong piece highlighted in a tasteful shade of pink.

having reread your topic it would appear that the standoff is within the case not on the card :--)

Guest Dogcow

Here's a pic of the back of my REV02 card, I've circled the area where the unused standoff impacts, you can see the small tears it's cause in the sticker:

Wind1490a.jpg

Here's a pic of the motherboard after I'd removed the standoff (it's position also circled)

Wind1490b.jpg

I was careful to remove any loose solder material using some masking tape after I'd removed the standoff.

Guest RJ_BG

hey i am new here :D but really interested to turn my sind into a mac. ive never had a mac before and i want to ask whether the mac experience is much more different on that on a *pure* mac.

btw i saw some stuff is not working after the transformation due to driver problems. do u think these problems bill be solved soon and make from the msi a real deal?

thanks very MUCH :D

Guest Dogcow
hey i am new here :D but really interested to turn my sind into a mac. ive never had a mac before and i want to ask whether the mac experience is much more different on that on a *pure* mac.

Well once it's set-up it's pretty close to the real thing in terms of software experience, with the real thing you very rarely have software problems and never have to worry about the under-the-hood stuff like kext files. The hardware simply lacks the design features which make using Apple products so enjoyable, but hey thats what you pay for.

btw i saw some stuff is not working after the transformation due to driver problems. do u think these problems bill be solved soon and make from the msi a real deal?

Can't say for sure, I'd guess yes the driver support will improve.

Guest RJ_BG
The hardware simply lacks the design features which make using Apple products so enjoyable, but hey thats what you pay for.

thanks very much

ill still be keeping an eye on the wind but after reading the whole 10 page thread i am a bit worried whether id be capable of doing this.

do u know if there is some other laptop that can be turned easer into a mac if not ill either not eat a month to buy an air or buy some crappy vista lappy :D :D :angry:

:(

Guest elbenski
Here's a pic of the back of my REV02 card, I've circled the area where the unused standoff impacts, you can see the small tears it's cause in the sticker:

Wind1490a.jpg

Here's a pic of the motherboard after I'd removed the standoff (it's position also circled)

Wind1490b.jpg

I was careful to remove any loose solder material using some masking tape after I'd removed the standoff.

Dogcow - thanks for the useful pictures !

Picking up my larger HD next week and I think I will (finally) take the plunge. .. .. .. .. ... ....

Guest fishnchips

Just some thoughts on this vs a 'true Mac' laptop experience. I currently own a Macbook, 15" Macbook Pro and a G3 Powerbook Pismo (for those that know).... I book a SSD Macbook Air and after 3 weeks ebayed it. It was an awesome bit of kit and to me probably easier to lug about than the Wind/Advent/etc despite being larger in two dimensions. But it's not flexible enough... 64GB becomes about 40GB of usable space out of the the box. The battery isn't replacable. There's only 1 USB port...

In summary, the Advent gives me my flexible. lugable, laptop. For everything else, I'll stick to my Macbook Pro. Clearly it's not a slick as the Air or as cool as one but it is a hell of a lot cheaper (even with the upgrades). For around £400, I've got an Advent with 2GB RAM, 250GB HD and a 802.11n WIFI card. My Air was over £2k when I bought it.....

Guest fishnchips

Wind1490b.jpg

What did you use to remove the standoff? The pliers I tried with keep slipping...

Guest Gomff
Just some thoughts on this vs a 'true Mac' laptop experience. I currently own a Macbook, 15" Macbook Pro and a G3 Powerbook Pismo (for those that know).... I book a SSD Macbook Air and after 3 weeks ebayed it. It was an awesome bit of kit and to me probably easier to lug about than the Wind/Advent/etc despite being larger in two dimensions. But it's not flexible enough... 64GB becomes about 40GB of usable space out of the the box. The battery isn't replacable. There's only 1 USB port...

In summary, the Advent gives me my flexible. lugable, laptop. For everything else, I'll stick to my Macbook Pro. Clearly it's not a slick as the Air or as cool as one but it is a hell of a lot cheaper (even with the upgrades). For around £400, I've got an Advent with 2GB RAM, 250GB HD and a 802.11n WIFI card. My Air was over £2k when I bought it.....

I also have a Macbook Pro 15" which I use for serious 3d work when out and about or at client meetings. The Advent interests me for taking away on holiday for email, surfing and to dump my digital photos and movies onto. There are times when you don't want to worry about the safety of your laptop in your hotel room or out and about and the advent is perfect for these situations. I'm going on holiday in a couple of weeks and it's coming with me whilst the expensive tech stays behind.

if any misfortune befalls it, I'll be far less bothered than losing the MBP.