Advice on Diamond Price Plan

Guest mcwarre

Guest mcwarre

Guys,

Sorry to ask.

I have seen the HTC Diamond on Orange Raccoon 35 (18 months) at £30 online (£130 quidco cashback) with 700 anytime minutes, 100 texts, unlimited calls to any UK landline and "unlimited mobile browsing". I am really tempted. But what are the limitations on the "unlimited mobile browsing"? Is it evenings/weekends/time expiry/capped at a low rate?

Grateful for advice - I couldn't see anything on their site.

Guest blewer
Guys,

Sorry to ask.

I have seen the HTC Diamond on Orange Raccoon 35 (18 months) at £30 online (£130 quidco cashback) with 700 anytime minutes, 100 texts, unlimited calls to any UK landline and "unlimited mobile browsing". I am really tempted. But what are the limitations on the "unlimited mobile browsing"? Is it evenings/weekends/time expiry/capped at a low rate?

Grateful for advice - I couldn't see anything on their site.

Should be anytime usage - some are saying 250mb some 500mb fair use policy

Guest mcwarre

Too much to risk it considering O's past performance on data - Diamond went back without being opened.

Edited by mcwarre

Guest Neil5459

What was the risk?

The new packages include 500MB of anytime data for the life of the selected tariff. Some people pushing hard deals on upgrades are only getting 250MB, but the CS rep should be able to clarify.

Like T-Mo's Web'n'Walk standard, and O2's & Vodafone's inclusive data, this does not allow streaming, VOIP or external modem use.

Guest Confucious

The new limit is 500Mb

Can anyone who's got it check what speeds they are getting? Is it full HSDPA? If so what speed? Orange don't have HSUPA yet, do they? What's their HSDPA coverage like?

T-Mob W'n'W std doesn't incl HSDPA but is 1Gb - W'n'W Plus does. If O does it is a good deal, although 500Mb could be restrictive for some people - but as it doesn't allow streaming (eg YouTube) it would be difficult to exceed this. Does it allow IM? If so, is Live Messenger included?

So many questions - all the operators are still in a state of flux it seems trying to catch up with T. But they are catching up which must be a good thing for the customer!

Guest Neil5459
The new limit is 500Mb

Can anyone who's got it check what speeds they are getting? Is it full HSDPA? If so what speed? Orange don't have HSUPA yet, do they? What's their HSDPA coverage like?

T-Mob W'n'W std doesn't incl HSDPA but is 1Gb - W'n'W Plus does. If O does it is a good deal, although 500Mb could be restrictive for some people - but as it doesn't allow streaming (eg YouTube) it would be difficult to exceed this. Does it allow IM? If so, is Live Messenger included?

So many questions - all the operators are still in a state of flux it seems trying to catch up with T. But they are catching up which must be a good thing for the customer!

HSDPA is certainly enabled, but I've not done a test with DSLReports yet

O's coverage is getting better all the time- major towns now all have HSDPA; though it's hard to assess accurately- on my journey from London to Cambridge I get HSDPA as far as Harlow, but there are some GSM patches, and still some 'no signal' patches. They do have some signal congestion problems in the City of London during the evening peak- 5pm to 6.30pm when it can be quicker to use GSM than UMTS. This does seem to have been better recently though.

The IM position is unclear. Current Orange Diamonds have a totally stock HTC OS, including Live Messenger which connect via the normal APN, so included in tariff. There are indications that this release was as a hurried response to the new iPhone, and that sometime soon, Orange Diamonds will have the Orange customisations such as Orange Music, Messenger and TV- some of the O Shop models have this ROM already; the User Guide included in my Diamond definitely has instructions and screenshots showing an Orange Customised T3D interface with tabs for Orange Music, Downloads and TV. The ROM on mione is the latest HTC build- both OS and Radio.

There is no mention in the UG about IM, either Windows or Orange. There is a section about using the phone as a modem!

Guest Confucious

Thanks Neil

Lets hope they don't try and enforce their own messenger.

Free data, decent devices, moving CS back to the UK - It looks like O are trying to get back on track after their abysmal performance since FT took them over. Let's hope these are the start of an O comeback!

Guest BenWW

i'm trying ti upgrade at the moment, apparantly i'll get a text back when diamonds are back in stock.

was offered 600mins unlimited text and the free web for £25 month + free diamond. The FUP was 250MB, I think i''m being short changed on this one, are other upgraders getting 500MB?

Guest Neil5459
i'm trying ti upgrade at the moment, apparantly i'll get a text back when diamonds are back in stock.

was offered 600mins unlimited text and the free web for £25 month + free diamond. The FUP was 250MB, I think i''m being short changed on this one, are other upgraders getting 500MB?

Its a trade-off. You can push for the cheapest deal on upgrade, but have to suffer the reduced data allowance, or pay the full tariff price and get the 500MB, plus free phone. End of teh day, is it worth the extra £5 for 250 extra MB?

BTW Con- I've found Orange CS to be very good over the last few months- phone is answered quicky, and staff are generally knowledgable and helpful, with a few notable exceptions.

I didn't try the UG path for the Diamond as I don't need to keep the same number, but got a great deal on my other contract upgrade at the same time. Orange even spotted an error in my online order submission for the Diamond (submitted twice due to an ORange Site glitch) and contacted me by 9am next morning.

Guest BenWW
Its a trade-off. You can push for the cheapest deal on upgrade, but have to suffer the reduced data allowance, or pay the full tariff price and get the 500MB, plus free phone. End of teh day, is it worth the extra £5 for 250 extra MB?

Aye, it's not worth an extra £5 to me, having a data allowance would be new to me, I may not end up using it that much! I doubt it though :D

Guest mcwarre

Mmmm. I have seen comments that the data tarrifs apply free only on £35/month and over. Raccoon 35 is currently £5/month off (i.e. £30) so I am not sure. I will check O coverage at work as it used to be very pants and even an external antenna gave minimum / no signal. I'll do that first and reconsider as I don't want to have an expensive alarm.

Also considering £20 / month for 1100 anytime any network minutes (or texts or mix) on three. I get full HSDPA where I work so this is rather attractive. Flog their cr*p phone on eBay and keep my MWg Atom. Choices choices.......

Edited by mcwarre

Guest Neil5459

The full plan benefits do apply, even to discounted tariffs (so Racoon or Dolphine 35 will have the 500MB allowance, even though they will cost £30)

That's academic though, if the reception is cr*p :D I'm in the opposite position, as O are the only operator to give me any signal at all at home.

3 Services have become much better, and their customer support seems good (I've been talking to the Business team, and even get a named contact who actually understands my needs!); the additional £5 pm for up to 1GB data is good. If it weren't for questions about whether they will dump Orange for T-Mo as their 'roaming' partner for GPRS services I'd have seriously considered jumping ship.

Guest Confucious

Neil -Glad to here O's CS is getting better, they used to be the best but since FT took over have consistently been the worst!

Three's relationship with T is only for infrastructure (and it sounds like they will have problems with that) and I doubt if they will change their roaming partner again. I think it's a fairly safe bet they will stay with O.

Three's data rates aren't that good and there HSDPA coverage is pretty poor but prices are good.

Guest jimbouk

I was told by O that following my upgrade the data tariffs would kick in immediately. I just checked online and my other half's phone had already run up a £4.70's worth of data. Phoned 150 and spoke to an indian call centre who said "no - it kicks in on next billing date"... when I told them that it needed sorting, they weren't very helpful.

So I asked to speak to Orange Darlington and was put through to someone who listened to what I had to say, put me on hold for 90 seconds, then came back and said : "250mb data bundle applied to that phone from now to cover you til your billing date, and as that will cost £8, we have applied a £20 credit to cover the £8, the £4.70 and a little extra". Good work Orange.

I am so disappointed with O's Indian Call Centres when there UK ones are really getting very good again.

Guest Neil5459

Ooh- need to check my billing as I was told the same thing- data allowance immediate and new tariff from next billing data :D

Guest Confucious
I am so disappointed with O's Indian Call Centres when there UK ones are really getting very good again.

O are transfering their call centers back to the UK for this very reason. They seem to actually be listening to customers!

Indian call centres are fine when the questions are standard, most of them speak very good English. But most English speaking people struggle to explain to a Native English speaker the nature of the problem. O have tried and it has not worked and they are doing something about it.

The Indians have lots of very clever people at a very cheap price, they speak good English (most of them) but don't understand the English (I sure as heck don't - and I am English, well apart from the Welsh bits).

They are not there YET

They will be soon.

Good or Bad.

Discuss.

RD&H

Guest turbo70120
The new limit is 500Mb

So the YouTube application in the Diamond will not work on the Orange data plans?

Guest Confucious
So the YouTube application in the Diamond will not work on the Orange data plans?

Now you're asking!

Streaming is not allowed on O's data plan so I believe YouTube is not allowed.

I don't know if it won't work but I believe it is not allowed.

Guest Mickster

Am I the only person who still has a 'Try 3G' addon on their account? I've had it since the day I got my HTC Universal about 3 years ago and I get 1G a month free.

Guest Neil5459

The YouTube application certainly does work, and I have not been billed for any data use.

I suspect that as each YouTube file is quite small, it won't trigger any streaming sensors in O's service. Sustained video or TV streaming is a different matter. I'm not sure about internet radio streaming.

Guest Confucious

A colleague at work has Three's 1Gb data and when he tried to do something the other day he couldn't as he had receicved a text from Three saying he had reached his limit. When I asked what he used he said he just watched YouTube.....

I was only going by the fact that I believed streaming was specifically excluded and YouTube does stream data - and quite a lot judging by my colleagues experience. As always, I could be wrong.