OK it's not crap .... so what ROM?

Guest wonderstoat

Guest wonderstoat

Just off the phone to Orange, and - partially in response to the fairly positive answers to my previous thread about whether it was any good or not - my Diamond should arrive tomorrow.

So .... I'm hoping it won't have any Orange stuff on it. But even so, the stock HTC ROM is meant to be pretty poor, no?

I've only flashed once before (my original Tytn, to BLACK something-or-other) ... anyways .... can some kind people direct me to the best ROMS to flash to? Preferably ROMS that only require me to plug the thing in and push a couple of buttons?

Thanks in advance. This forum is such a great resource for eejits like us who probably should find something better to do with our time.

Stoatie

Guest James

There are 'always' two steps to flash a custom ROM form a stock ROM....

1. Flash a HardSPL

2. Flash your choice of ROM

You may also want to flash a new GSM Radio version (but i wont go into that)

There is currently a choice of about 5/6 custom ROMS out there for the diamond :angry: so you need to choose whitch one suits your needs..

As close to the Stock ROM as possible is : TLR 3

or if you head over to XDA-Developers you can take your pick! :D

You will find the ROM threads will detail whitch HardSPL to flash, so you should be sorted :D

Just for the record, ive Tried TLR 3, bElite 0.96 and Dutty's V1.1 so far... all work ok and give a nice speed increse over the stock ROM.

Guest wardy
There are 'always' two steps to flash a custom ROM form a stock ROM....

1. Flash a HardSPL

2. Flash your choice of ROM

You may also want to flash a new GSM Radio version (but i wont go into that)

There is currently a choice of about 5/6 custom ROMS out there for the diamond :angry: so you need to choose whitch one suits your needs..

As close to the Stock ROM as possible is : TLR 3

or if you head over to XDA-Developers you can take your pick! :D

You will find the ROM threads will detail whitch HardSPL to flash, so you should be sorted :D

Just for the record, ive Tried TLR 3, bElite 0.96 and Dutty's V1.1 so far... all work ok and give a nice speed increse over the stock ROM.

Or try the new UK one .93 available from Dutties site ... Its good

Guest estechco

Presumably though this invalidates my existing T-Mo warranty?

I notice I can't register my s/n on HTC club. Is there an equivalent featire on the T-mo site where they will (ultimately) update to newer/faster ROM's etc? I'm not mad about the pink mullarkey, but i'd sooner adhere to what ever constitutes a warranty

Guest Neil5459
Just off the phone to Orange, and - partially in response to the fairly positive answers to my previous thread about whether it was any good or not - my Diamond should arrive tomorrow.

So .... I'm hoping it won't have any Orange stuff on it. But even so, the stock HTC ROM is meant to be pretty poor, no?

I've only flashed once before (my original Tytn, to BLACK something-or-other) ... anyways .... can some kind people direct me to the best ROMS to flash to? Preferably ROMS that only require me to plug the thing in and push a couple of buttons?

Thanks in advance. This forum is such a great resource for eejits like us who probably should find something better to do with our time.

Stoatie

I'd actually recommend keeping the Orange ROM for the first few days to a week, just to get to grips with it. Orange use a much later ROM than the stock HTC one, and also use what is considered the best Radio ROM (.05). There are no Orange customisations so you won't need to remove anything superfluous.

I'd agree that the Dutty 1.93 ROM is an excellent choice, as is TLR; They both have some usability enhancements, such as the Weather application now having a scrollable ABC bar, and a slight overall speed increase.

Guest wonderstoat
I'd actually recommend keeping the Orange ROM for the first few days to a week, just to get to grips with it. Orange use a much later ROM than the stock HTC one, and also use what is considered the best Radio ROM (.05). There are no Orange customisations so you won't need to remove anything superfluous.

I'd agree that the Dutty 1.93 ROM is an excellent choice, as is TLR; They both have some usability enhancements, such as the Weather application now having a scrollable ABC bar, and a slight overall speed increase.

hmmm ... I might well do that., just to see. Can you tell me what version no. I should be seeing?

Guest wonderstoat
Mine was:

ROM is 1.37.405.1 (12/6/08 )

Radio is: 1.00.25.03

So, an older radio than I thought, but still worked well!

Thanks

Guest Chocolicious

I am using Dutty's ROM, the most recent one, although he uploads a new ROM as soon as you can flash it with more improvements and before that I had TLR'd ROM.

Here is the link to Duttys thread over at XDA, there is a lite and a full version. He has his own site where he has the ROMs as well as the CAB files he has extracted from full ROMS to make lite ROMS:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=411707

I would also recommmend Panosha's Shine on ROM:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=405728

Both ROMs are based on the latest build and Radio

Edited by Chocolicious