HSDPA on Orange

Guest Bigbaker

Guest Bigbaker

I have some great coverage of HSDPA on Orange on the Isle of Wight, is there anyway of knowing your on "H" without being connected?

Like when you get G, E and 3G.

No. You will see 3g until you start using it then it will "throttle up" to H if its available.

I get G, E and H appearing in my topbar? I just assumed the H was letting me know that HSDPA was available?

Edited by hp1

Guest huwwatkins
I get G, E and H appearing in my topbar? I just assumed the H was letting me know that HSDPA was available?

When I put a Vodafone sim card in my diamond it came up with an H so maybe it is depedant on the provider if you get H first or 3G then H when you access data.

Guest Confucious

Different ROMs show different things, but *most* ROMs don't show 'H' (or U or 3.5G) until it's actually being used and will just show 3G when it's not.

Which ROM are you using?

Just the stock Orange one er....1.37 i think? But it comes up regardless of whether I am actually transferring data or not. when I am, the H moves over the 'signal bars'.

Edited by hp1

Guest Confucious

I don't have a Diamond but it looks like different ROMs are showing either 3G or H when not connected. I assume the H changes from a white H when not connected to a black H in a white square when you connect (ie negative image)?

Edited by Confucious

Guest huwwatkins
That's another way of doing it.

What ROMs have 3G when not connected in and HSDPA area?

Im sure I can help you with that- once orange roll out HSDPA where i live :D

Guest Kevlarski
Im sure I can help you with that- once orange roll out HSDPA where i live :D

I've never seen H on this Orange Diamond yet. Annoying when I know there is great HSDPA on O2 around here (Newcastle) :D

Edited by Kevlarski

Guest huwwatkins
I've never seen H on this Orange Diamond yet. Annoying when I know there is great HSDPA on O2 around here (Newcastle) :D

I think Orange missed a trick with HSDPA coverage. I mean I live on the west coast of wales so i'm pretty lucky to have 3g anywhere let alone HSDPA, but - while O seem to have invested in the most masts and better coverage here, of the 4 3g providers here, 2 already have HDSPA and nationally I think its only O2 that are behind them in terms of HSDPA rollout.

ON a side note I took a trip to south wales, even in some of the more built up areas - no H, doesn't bode well for me getting it here anytime soon.

Guest blackhorse

We are having a massive HSDPA roll out over the coming months in ire, scotland and north east england.

Expect some down time on the 3g network whilst it is upgraded.

2G will continue to function as normal

Guest xanadu
Orange said they would be rolling it out to major cities first.

HSDPA on Orange is using a 2nd carrier in many major cities, as this provides more capacity and higher speeds.

Coverage is being extended across many areas of UK using shared carrier to speed up the rollout.

Edited by xanadu

Guest huwwatkins
We are having a massive HSDPA roll out over the coming months in ire, scotland and north east england.

Expect some down time on the 3g network whilst it is upgraded.

2G will continue to function as normal

Wales? :D

Guest Confucious
HSDPA on Orange is using a 2nd carrier in many major cities, as this provides more capacity and higher speeds.

Coverage is being extended across many areas of UK using shared carrier to speed up the rollout.

Who's this? I've not heard of Orange (or anyone else except Three who use O for 2G) using someone else's network.

Guest xanadu
Who's this? I've not heard of Orange (or anyone else except Three who use O for 2G) using someone else's network.

The 2nd carrier means Orange have 2 frequencies. The 2nd carrier/frequency is only rolled out in major cities at present.

Where 2nd carrier/frequency is not available Orange are using shared carrier HSDPA.

Edited by xanadu

Guest huwwatkins
The 2nd carrier means Orange have 2 frequencies. The 2nd carrier/frequency is only rolled out in major cities at present.

Where 2nd carrier/frequency is not available Orange are using shared carrier HSDPA.

IS there any technical reason why they are using 2 frequencies? I wasn't aware of any other operator doing this?

Guest xanadu
IS there any technical reason why they are using 2 frequencies? I wasn't aware of any other operator doing this?

The infamous 3G licence bidding that raked in billions for the British Government included more than one frequency for some of the licences that were up for grabs.

Vodafone purchased the 'B' Licence which was the most expensive available for an existing mobile operator.

Licence A: Three (Hutchinson 3G, TIW) £4,384,700,000

Licence B: Vodafone £5,964,000,000

Licence C: O2 (Cellnet) £4,030,100,000

Licence D: T-Mobile (One2One) £4,003,600,000

Licence E: Orange £4,095,000,000

Guest huwwatkins
The infamous 3G licence bidding that raked in billions for the British Government included more than one frequency for some of the licences that were up for grabs.

Vodafone purchased the 'B' Licence which was the most expensive available for an existing mobile operator.

Licence A: Three (Hutchinson 3G, TIW) £4,384,700,000

Licence B: Vodafone £5,964,000,000

Licence C: O2 (Cellnet) £4,030,100,000

Licence D: T-Mobile (One2One) £4,003,600,000

Licence E: Orange £4,095,000,000

Hi I am aware there were a few different frequencies, but i though they only had one each? Out of interest - is the B licence better then? Are some of the frequencies better than others? They are only about 10-20mhz apart aren't they?

I still dont understand why orange would be using a second frequency?

Cheers

Guest xanadu
Hi I am aware there were a few different frequencies, but i though they only had one each? Out of interest - is the B licence better then? Are some of the frequencies better than others? They are only about 10-20mhz apart aren't they?

I still dont understand why orange would be using a second frequency?

Cheers

Licence A - 2x15MHz paired spectrum+5MHz unpaired spectrum

Licence B - 2x15MHz paired

Licence C - 2x10MHz paired + 5MHz unpaired

Licence D - 2x10MHz paired + 5MHz unpaired

Licence E - 2x10MHz paired + 5MHz unpaired

The main reason to use a 2nd carrier for HSDPA is extra capacity in major cities.

There is a limit on the number of users per 3G cell, and HSDPA uses a lot of bandwidth.

Too many users would cause slower data speeds, reduced cell coverage, and cell blocking, and handovers back to slower GSM/GPRS where available.