Stephen Fry really <hearts> the iPhone, and <hates> WinMo :)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

From his blog...

I should digress here to point out that the latest HTC Touch Diamond (HTC is a wonderful manufacturer permanently hamstrung by its devices all being Windows Mobile) has an accelerometer, too, and comes with a ball-manipulation game that provides tactile feedback - you can actually feel the weight and bounce of the ball as you manoeuvre it. For the rest, it is yet another iPhone wannabe: it is too small, its multi-touch interface is too slow on the uptake and the whole experience is rather fiddly. It does have the best browser on a pocket PC I’ve yet seen, however, and for those determined not to go Apple, it is (thanks to the market-changing influence of the iPhone) a superior model of its kind (RRP £499, htc.com for stockists).

Unlike the iPhone 3G, the Diamond also has a front-facing camera (for video calls and video IM). What else is the iPhone 3G missing? No text manipulation (not even basic cut and paste), no Flash plug-ins for the browser, no video recording, no voice memos. Third parties will probably address these software issues, but it would have been better if Apple had solved them itself.

Ouch! :D

P

Guest highlorddave
From his blog...

Ouch! :D

P

is it just me that finds all these diamond comparisons to the iphone a little tedious. It always seems that the reviewers in question fails to understand the benefits of running WinMo and focus soley on the UI.

personally i do believe the Iphone has a far superior UI to any current WinMo device, but for me the advantages end right there.

its like comparing a home entertainment system to a PC for the purpose of listening to music, the Home Ent system will win outright, but the PC can achieve so much more.

so by all means if you want a phone mainly for texting and listening to music get the Iphone, it is better at these things.

If you want a powerfull buisness tool with vast software upgrade potential the follow the WinMo devices.

Im not going to keep banging on as almost every reader on this forum has chosen the winmo path so i would be preaching to the converted, so sufice to say we know what we want from a device and for many of us its something that apple cannot provide.

well thats me all ranted out, anyone for a drink !

Guest rameses
is it just me that finds all these diamond comparisons to the iphone a little tedious. It always seems that the reviewers in question fails to understand the benefits of running WinMo and focus soley on the UI.

personally i do believe the Iphone has a far superior UI to any current WinMo device, but for me the advantages end right there.

its like comparing a home entertainment system to a PC for the purpose of listening to music, the Home Ent system will win outright, but the PC can achieve so much more.

so by all means if you want a phone mainly for texting and listening to music get the Iphone, it is better at these things.

If you want a powerfull buisness tool with vast software upgrade potential the follow the WinMo devices.

Im not going to keep banging on as almost every reader on this forum has chosen the winmo path so i would be preaching to the converted, so sufice to say we know what we want from a device and for many of us its something that apple cannot provide.

well thats me all ranted out, anyone for a drink !

I quite agree, and I'll put the kettle on. (.....sets pocket tea to 3 mins....)

Guest ljames28

They all do that "Heres why the iPhone is way better than this wannabe" "And heres a very quick list of all the reasons this phone is better than the iPhone, i won't elaborate on any of them no matter how big they may be, and then I'll point out they can be fixed by Apps so they're irellevant"

Bias much?

is it just me that finds all these diamond comparisons to the iphone a little tedious.

No, not just you.

Fry is a well known Macaholic, so it's not really a surprise that it's his favourite.

The problem is when people just go with reviews like this without trying things out for themselves.

Guest deadphill

Heres one for you all.

The missus has just bought an iPhone today for general use, though she will still be using the Diamond for GPS and business abilities.

She will swap over the Sim cards as and when necessary!

Go figure!

Cheers

Phill

Guest deadphill

Well she bought an bose soundock when she was brainwashed designing training for their call centre in her last job, because she had a 20% discount and could put it under the guise of wedding expenses, and then realised I am the only one with an iPod so got a bit stuck!

So she will use it with that, and also for using in the gym and as a media player in the car. Its easy to use for her as she doesnt use all the fancy stuff in WM.

With the diamond, it will be used for sat nav as well as a backup in case her iphone battery goes!

Unless of course, the Diamond suddenly disappears! :D

Cheers

Phill