MDA Compact IV or HTC Touch Diamond?

Guest coolcarrot

Guest coolcarrot

Hi all,

new to forums - but thought I'd give this a go. I am thinking of upgrading my phone, currently a T-Mobile MDA Compact III - and was taken by the reviews/reports/adverts forthe HTC Touch Diamond and reading several comments here, have decided to get one.

However, not really keen on the T-Mobile branding and since I will be getting the phone from T-Mobile, I am considering selling the one I get from T-Mobile and buying and original HTC? I would be interested in your comments for and against this idea - especially considering that I am not really a whizz at programming etc - I would prefer the original black skins to the T-Mobile - can I change/revert the HTC black homescreen etc

Appreciate any tips that you guys can offer.

Thanks

Guest Damiantmc

Hey, I have the compact IV version (mainly cause I work for Tmobile lol) I wouldn't bother with the hassle of selling it and buying a Diamond, I was tempted to but after accd getting the compact IV its been very good, first thing I did was change it back to black theme TF3D and reinstall Live and Youtube. Its very simple to do and you can do it without having to flash roms or anything if you want, you can just install it all from .cab files like you would normal software. With the flat back on it aswell, for me its a winner

DTMc

Guest estechco
Hey, I have the compact IV version (mainly cause I work for Tmobile lol) I wouldn't bother with the hassle of selling it and buying a Diamond, I was tempted to but after accd getting the compact IV its been very good, first thing I did was change it back to black theme TF3D and reinstall Live and Youtube. Its very simple to do and you can do it without having to flash roms or anything if you want, you can just install it all from .cab files like you would normal software. With the flat back on it aswell, for me its a winner

DTMc

Have you got a link to the proper Youtube install (which I gather is much better than the T-Mo equivalent)?

Guest coolcarrot

DTMc

Hi DTMc,

thanks for that - but can you let me know how to change back to "2black theme TF3D and reinstall Live and Youtube" and where I can find the .cab files. Do I need to uninstall the T-Mobile stuff first or just .cab over the existing?

also been hearing a lot about flashing ROMs - what does that mean - and is it necessary or useful and if so, how do I go about it?

Thanks

coolcarrot

Guest estechco
Hi DTMc,

thanks for that - but can you let me know how to change back to "2black theme TF3D and reinstall Live and Youtube" and where I can find the .cab files. Do I need to uninstall the T-Mobile stuff first or just .cab over the existing?

also been hearing a lot about flashing ROMs - what does that mean - and is it necessary or useful and if so, how do I go about it?

Thanks

coolcarrot

Think I may have found the link myself here (#17 specifically)

Guest Damiantmc

Hey, yeah thats the youtube cab and files I used to get that back, the black TF3D to install instead of the pink one is in the same thread on page one called manilla.cab (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=408650) post #3, the messenger cab I had from the windows live site but its easy to find by searching or I can post it on here if you need it. All you need to do is install the cab for Windows live, youtube and flashlite, then copy the files from the youtube 2nd folder into windows directory. the black TF3d you just uncheck the pink one from the "today" icons list and then install the cab and reenable and it turns black. You can also flash a new rom which would do all this without installing cabs but it would more than likly void your warrenty, so depends how brave your feeling lol :D but theres some good guides about for how to do it.

Dtmc

Guest coolcarrot

feeling positively (or is that negatively :angry: ) stupid compared to everybody here - and had thought I was reasonably clued up on the basics. :(

I now have a T-Mobile MDA Compact IV - not yet opened or used so no personal info or anything put in. If I "flash a new ROM" (what exactly does that mean <_< ), will that effectively solve my issue of de-branding the T-Mobile settings and give me the original HTC Black skins/backgrounds? And will I also need to install Live Messenger and Youtube?

Or should I just install a .cab with the appropriate skin?

Will someone be kind enough to advise which sould be better and give me idiot-proof (cos I now think I am :D ) instructions to do so.

I would really appreciate any and all help in this regard!

Def not such a Coolcarrot :D