The official Samsung i900 Omnia 'Ask Paul' thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest LittleMonster

I have one question. I have just flash my Omnia (Singapore) to DXHH3 and everything goes smoothly. I've realised that Chinese input is not available in my Omnia but my friend Omnia (DXHH3) have the Chinese input. She upgraded her formware at Samsung Service Center. Is it because the ROM downloaded from here removed this function. Thank you

Download the ROM from this link

http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-h...re-version-fix/

You think the device has antennas for eight UMTS bands and four EGPRS bands?

P

I am not sure the quality of the source, and I am not sure if HSDPA has special antenna requirements (i.e. MIMO?) but from what I heard the samsung has 4 antennae:

850..900 MHZ range (GSM could possibly do UMTS)

1800..2100 MHZ range (GSM and UMTS)

2400(?)..2800(?) MHZ Range (Bluetooth)

???? (GPS)

The main factors for the antenna are the frequencies that they are ideal for (i.e. a dipole for 900 Mhz can be twice the lenght of a dipole for 1800 Mhz) and what they are connected to. Polarity is also important, but they may use a design that works decently for all polarities, I am not sure.

P.S. what are the 8 UMTS bands?

I am not sure the quality of the source, and I am not sure if HSDPA has special antenna requirements (i.e. MIMO?) but from what I heard the samsung has 4 antennae:

850..900 MHZ range (GSM could possibly do UMTS)

1800..2100 MHZ range (GSM and UMTS)

2400(?)..2800(?) MHZ Range (Bluetooth)

???? (GPS)

The main factors for the antenna are the frequencies that they are ideal for (i.e. a dipole for 900 Mhz can be twice the lenght of a dipole for 1800 Mhz) and what they are connected to. Polarity is also important, but they may use a design that works decently for all polarities, I am not sure.

P.S. what are the 8 UMTS bands?

Paul if pidsw is correct (I haven't looked up this information myself) the current i900 model has 1800-2100Mhz antenna and it can do both, GSM and UMTS. That only strengthens my statement about software only limitation. 1800Mhz UMTS is compatible with AT&T 3G network and it's a standard north american WCDMA frequency. I do not think the device has antennas for all the bands, but I do know that for any antenna supported frequencies come in ranges, just as pidsw stated. And it is likely 2100Mhz antenna can also support 1800Mhz and it looks like it is.

pidsw you can find the answer to your question in my previous post - check the Qualcomm site link I posted.

(first few post, Omnia since yesterday ;)) I also just updated my omnia to DXHI1 through the .exe ( so no new radio?) but i've noticed that my battery is draining somewhat fast and the phone gets warm when doing simple things ( phone calls, texts) and gets REALLY hot during charging, anyone know what the problem is cus i don't think it's supposed to get that hot...

Paul any experience or knowledge of this problem?

Omnia i900 white 16Gb version is now DXHH3/DZHH3 radio is DXHH3 previous was DGHG4.

Exchange 2007 Service Pack 1

Problem is when syncronised to receive push setup goes fine then exchange sets new security setting including a pin number

(although the policy is set not to) downloads all the mail , appointments and works fine, it says needs a restart and at that point when it reboots it just

sits at the Onmia screen giving two beeps occassionally, nothing makes any difference, power light is on but no response to anything.

Only way back is hard reset.. format.

tried it numerous times and with both Rom versions. phone is unbranded, not locked with an Orange Sim.

Exchange Policy works flawlwessly with my N95 8GB

Thoughts?

J

I'm having a huge problem with my new Omnia,

Bought an unwanted upgrade from a well known auction site (for the best part of £400),phone arrived and everything was fine, liked the phone, had the phone on handwriting recognition and set a password, which i had to enter TWICE. When I tried to unlock my phone it would not except my code, several times, now my phone has a count down wont allow my to try to enter a code more than once every hour.

I contacted Samsung and the told me I would have to send the phone to them and they would reinstall the software and then decide if it was a software issue or my fault and charge me accordingly(resigned myself to this being the case but id rather that than a £400 paper weight).Anyway, packaging arrived from Samsung and a letter saying I need to seed proof of purchase, phoned them and they told me they will not except a handset bought from EBay, even if I Pay for repairs, so I am screwed.

I thought that flashing the firmware might fix this but now activesync wont detect my phone, xp does as it allows me to see the files on it. Does anyone have a solution to this?

I'm having a huge problem with my new Omnia,

Bought an unwanted upgrade from a well known auction site (for the best part of £400),phone arrived and everything was fine, liked the phone, had the phone on handwriting recognition and set a password, which i had to enter TWICE. When I tried to unlock my phone it would not except my code, several times, now my phone has a count down wont allow my to try to enter a code more than once every hour.

I contacted Samsung and the told me I would have to send the phone to them and they would reinstall the software and then decide if it was a software issue or my fault and charge me accordingly(resigned myself to this being the case but id rather that than a £400 paper weight).Anyway, packaging arrived from Samsung and a letter saying I need to seed proof of purchase, phoned them and they told me they will not except a handset bought from EBay, even if I Pay for repairs, so I am screwed.

I thought that flashing the firmware might fix this but now activesync wont detect my phone, xp does as it allows me to see the files on it. Does anyone have a solution to this?

Have you tried a hard reset?

hold down answer and end call keys and then the power on button for 5 seconds... turn the phone off first by removing the battery. If you get it right it will ask if you want to format say yes and back to factory defaults. be patient as when i try this on my phone i manage it about once every 20 times attempted. closing my eyes helps ;)

If you get the samsung jingle you have missed it.

John

Have you tried a hard reset?

hold down answer and end call keys and then the power on button for 5 seconds... turn the phone off first by removing the battery. If you get it right it will ask if you want to format say yes and back to factory defaults. be patient as when i try this on my phone i manage it about once every 20 times attempted. closing my eyes helps :wacko:

If you get the samsung jingle you have missed it.

John

Tried it about 30 times ;) , can't seem to get it, do you mean remove the battery and then power back on by holding the answer and end call keys and then the power on button for 5 seconds?Sorry but ive only got the phone and just not sure.

Thanks

Tried it about 30 times ;) , can't seem to get it, do you mean remove the battery and then power back on by holding the answer and end call keys and then the power on button for 5 seconds?Sorry but ive only got the phone and just not sure.

Thanks

yup, remove the battery to make sure the phone is off, reinsert battery, hold down both left and right keys (answer & hangup ) then while holding them down hold the power key for 5 seconds and then release all three, if you get it right then you get the format screen straight away, it is tricky and for some reason it works best for me with my eyes shut, dont be guided by the lights.

I nearly threw the phone against the wall last night but patience is apparently a virtue.

J

yup, remove the battery to make sure the phone is off, reinsert battery, hold down both left and right keys (answer & hangup ) then while holding them down hold the power key for 5 seconds and then release all three, if you get it right then you get the format screen straight away, it is tricky and for some reason it works best for me with my eyes shut, dont be guided by the lights.

I nearly threw the phone against the wall last night but patience is apparently a virtue.

J

Still cant get it.Is it possible that you cant hard reset while password locked?and still cant get activesync to recognise it ;)

• 4 months later...

A friend of mine has a Samsung Ominia and is having trouble sending texts. She needs help and I thought I would do some research for her since her time is limited right now.

Here is what she said to me in an email:

so if you maybe have one or knows someone with one...find out how to work the thing lol. I can call and get txts but for some reason i cant reply, and i have unllimited txting...it just doesnt send, so maybe there is something i have to do to it first, im not sure lol

So do you know what she might be doing wrong that she couldn't send a text?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

John

Guest Monolithix

Try checking the sms centre number is set correctly (Start > Settings > Phone > one of those tabs, probably in one of the network services options!).

A quick google or call to your operator should tell you your networks smsc number.

• 6 months later...
Guest gaznic

I have purchased an Omnia and unlocked it from the orange network. It now recognises my vodafone sim card but drops my dialled out calls with a message saying 'cannot complete the call. signal may be weak or number not recognised' but neither of these are the case. Can someone tell me if there is a fix or explain what the problem is. I am worried that I have been duped!!!

Many thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.