49 replies to this topic

dudegalea

dudegalea

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN III

errr how does it kill the battery? i use it on the tytn II, and its a great solution.

I need to run some proper controlled tests to verify, but I found that even when the device is asleep, the power consumption is much higher than it is without S2U2 running.

Having said that, I'm going to try it installed and not installed over the next few days to attempt to eliminate other factors.

I'm not the only person to notice this problem, though. All the comments I've seen about it have come from people who own one of the newer HTC devices, such as the Touch Diamond or the Touch Pro.

dudegalea

dudegalea

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Does anyone know of any decent software that can check battery consumption rate?

I know I can just check the battery level over a period of time, but it'd be nice to have something that can measure the rate dynamically.

Metoo

Metoo

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

I cant wait to show it off to my mates in the pub tonight :D
g

The last thing I'd do is start flashing a £500+ phone around in the pub.

Edited by Metoo, 18 August 2008 - 10:54 AM.

Metoo

Metoo

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

http://www.hp-sales....tno=99HEY044-00 = £481 inc vat

They claim to be trade-only and you can't order anything direct from the site so looks like just some broker. There's no contact information at all on the web site which is highly suspect. "Contact us" is just a "request a quote" form, and "About Us" doesn't say anything about who they are (no email address or telephone number, no terms and conditions, no delivery/returns policy, not even the legal minimum of a company ID and trading address). On that basis alone I wouldn't touch them with a barge-pole.

Edited by Metoo, 18 August 2008 - 11:46 AM.

WearTheFoxHat

WearTheFoxHat

I've gone all droid!

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  • Devices:Nexus 5, Moto XOOM 3G
  • Twitter:@TomJJarvis
No, I agree ... I shall edit my post.

Orange regrets to inform you that their network will be going down in 1 hours time for all users apart from yourself. This is because nothing would go down on you, not even a network!

ripnet

ripnet

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
  • Devices:SPV C500

The last thing I'd do is start flashing a £500+ phone around in the pub.

yeah, but noone can tell how much its worth... and I was surrounded by friendly people who I knew... i wouldnt get it out in some pubs lol

g

Metoo

Metoo

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

yeah, but noone can tell how much its worth... and I was surrounded by friendly people who I knew... i wouldnt get it out in some pubs lol

g

You don't know who else is watching, and you'd be surprised how clued up (and inconspicuous) some of the thieving low-life are. Even if they mistake it for an iPhone you're still a target.

Edited by Metoo, 18 August 2008 - 02:00 PM.

ripnet

ripnet

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts

You don't know who else is watching, and you'd be surprised how clued up (and inconspicuous) some of the thieving low-life are. Even if they mistake it for an iPhone you're still a target.

DONT COMPARE MY BEAUTIFUL TOUCH PRO AN IPHONE LOL :D

heh, point taken, I am very careful with it (and my other tech, iPod etc) when out and about... but it felt safe in the pub in question...

g

dudegalea

dudegalea

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts
Ah-ha!

The wakeup events do work on the Touch Pro after all. I added a wakeup event to run EndKey.exe, and it does indeed lock the device when it wakes up; exactly what I wanted.

The reason I didn't see this working before is that the device has to be sleeping for at least a few seconds in order for the wakeup event to be generated when it wakes up. So when I tried this originally, I was just switching it off and on again quite quickly, and it didn't work. If I switch off for a few seconds, and then switch back on, then the event fires, and it locks.

I don't know whether it's a bug in the ROM that stops the event firing when the device has been sleeping for only a short time, but it doesn't affect me in practise.

Anyway, this is a neat solution because it doesn't rely on any extra software being installed, so there's nothing to drain the battery, or interfere with the device in any other way. It's only using facilities that are already installed.

ripnet

ripnet

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 132 posts
Just a quick update to say... 3 weeks in, and STILL no hard crashes / freezes that I thought were key features of Windows Mobile LOL

I have however found one thing I dont like about the Touch Pro - the hands free kit that came with it seems to have been designed for elephants and not humans... i cant physically fit the damn things in my ears (and I am an average sized adult male)...

g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users