jchamier

jchamier

Quite unimportant

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Women, Songs :)
  • Devices:iPhone 5s
I've been doing some browsing, comparing the Hermes (Vario II) with the Raphael (Touch Pro). (aside, anyone else find it hard to type Raphael?)

I wonder why HTC have changed the radio circuit that significantly:

Hermes (UK version - ie, vario ii)
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
UMTS: 2100 or 850

Raphael:
GSM: 900, 1800, 1900 - (what no 850?)
UMTS: 2100, 900

Very disappointing, that the quad band GSM is dropped. Less interested in UMTS (3G) bands, as out of country data will be stupidly priced for a long time yet.

If I get the TP, then I may have to use my old iMate SP5 as a handset for north america... :-(

(850 in NA covers more miles per cell site than 1900, significantly so, given population dispersion).

My devices: Apple iPhone 4S on T-Mobile - Android: Amazon Kindle Fire

Previously: Android: Huawei U8800, ZTE Blade & Ancient: WM6.1: HTC Blackstone, WM6: HTC Kaiser, WM5: HTC Hermes

Syphon Filter

Syphon Filter

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN II

I've been doing some browsing, comparing the Hermes (Vario II) with the Raphael (Touch Pro). (aside, anyone else find it hard to type Raphael?)

I wonder why HTC have changed the radio circuit that significantly:

Hermes (UK version - ie, vario ii)
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900
UMTS: 2100 or 850

Raphael:
GSM: 900, 1800, 1900 - (what no 850?)
UMTS: 2100, 900

Very disappointing, that the quad band GSM is dropped. Less interested in UMTS (3G) bands, as out of country data will be stupidly priced for a long time yet.

If I get the TP, then I may have to use my old iMate SP5 as a handset for north america... :-(

(850 in NA covers more miles per cell site than 1900, significantly so, given population dispersion).

The Diamond got GSM 850 added in a ROM updated. Seeing as the Diamond and the Raphael are much the same internally I won't be suprised if the GSM 850 is added to the Raph via a firmware update too.

jchamier

jchamier

Quite unimportant

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Women, Songs :)
  • Devices:iPhone 5s

The Diamond got GSM 850 added in a ROM updated. Seeing as the Diamond and the Raphael are much the same internally I won't be suprised if the GSM 850 is added to the Raph via a firmware update too.

Fingers crossed. thanks.

My devices: Apple iPhone 4S on T-Mobile - Android: Amazon Kindle Fire

Previously: Android: Huawei U8800, ZTE Blade & Ancient: WM6.1: HTC Blackstone, WM6: HTC Kaiser, WM5: HTC Hermes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users