Which phone for me?

Guest Samsonite

Guest Samsonite

Hello all

I'm at the new phone stage and need some assistance...

I can come away from the WM platform for my personal phone and want something trick rather than purely functional! I want a decent camera (5MP and video), cross platform IM (fring?) and then a half decent browser (Opera if not native?)

So, the problems i have is that i cant find a decent review of the devices that have caught my eye. So far in the running is: N95, 6220 Classic, Samsung Tocco, LG Viewty, Samsung G610, SE C902.

If i do find reviews, they don't cover the aspects important to me like browser functionality/usability etc.. I am also majorly confused with the different OS capabilities. Will Fring (or Palringo) run on all of the phones listed? Again, i can barely get to grips with S60/40 or N series and whatever the Samsungs/LG/SE's run....

I do like the 6220 cos of the camera and TV-out. GPS is not important but WiFi would be nice so that's got a question mark against it. the N95 is getting long in the tooth and i dont like the leaked shots of the 96 - plus that would cost an arm and a leg.

I dont know enough about Samsung OS's to answer my own questions (and i have tried!)

Does anyone have any of these toys who can help me out, please? any tips gratefully listened to!

Guest Paul (MVP)

N95 8GB is pretty decent, and is newer than the base N95. Samsung Omnia fulfils pretty much all your criteria (if you are willing to have WinMo), Tocco is a toy phone, Viewty is getting on too, don't know much about the others :D

P

Guest Samsonite

thanks Paul...

Believe it or not, WM does far too much for my needs. I don't need any calendar, e-mail, Contact management for my own phone. Couple that with a real lack of decent cameras in the WM world and i have started to look around.

I got 4 more weeks and then its decision time.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Samsonite

right...

i'm down to to two options! and guess what - its a battle of Symbian v Windows!! :D

Samsung have just released the 8510i or Innov8 - its showing on the Carphone Warehouse front page... the 8MP camera and slidey keyboard are the plus points but it looks a bit chunky from the images.

The Omnia is also fitting the bill; T-mobile now have a version. decent camera and sexy looking but touchscreen only...

So i'm torn!!! How good is the Omia as a Messaging device? i use IM a fair bit and have reservations about only having a touchscreen after using a Vox with slidey qwerty for the last 18 months.

The Innov8 is a Symbian which is quite an unknown for me but from what i can work out shouldnt be a show stopper - it does what i need and can have Fring for multiplatform IM, cant it?

i have one month left before i can get a PAC to escape Orange and their data plans so i am open to all opinions! (altho looking the amount of responses so far, i wont hold my breath!! :D )

Guest Samsonite

the N96 is definitely a contender - apart from the looks! All of the images i have seen for it make it look too flat-fronted if you see what i mean!

if there are any decent hands on images out there, i haven't seen 'em. If the device is actually out when i go shopping in about 10 days time it may get a look in but till then, i'm reading all the early reviews of the 8510i and its looking good...

I think i've come away from the Omnia purely cos of the touchscreen interface - unless someone can convince me that the screen keyboard is a winner...

the N96 is definitely a contender - apart from the looks! All of the images i have seen for it make it look too flat-fronted if you see what i mean!

if there are any decent hands on images out there, i haven't seen 'em. If the device is actually out when i go shopping in about 10 days time it may get a look in but till then, i'm reading all the early reviews of the 8510i and its looking good...

I think i've come away from the Omnia purely cos of the touchscreen interface - unless someone can convince me that the screen keyboard is a winner...

Take a look at the Nokia N85 which is due out next month. All the functions as the N95 but better design, better battery, and better screen, all in a smaller slimmer case.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Back to the N95 comments, some of the lads at work have them and I've not heard a bad word said about the device from them.

Personally its stil a bit of a chunky device for me.

Guest Samsonite

the N95 was the one i would have gone for at the point when i got the Vox but i needed the WM platform for work... that fact that its 18 months+ oldmeans that although i can get a belting deal on it, i'd prefer something brand spanking new!! (and bug prone and unstable etc etc.. ;) )

I've been looking at the 8510i too. The problem with it seems to be that a lot of the S60 software out there doesn't run on it yet. It'll probably get fixed but right now...

N85 on the other hand...

Edited by xerxes

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Samsonite

I've got an i8510 and i love it!!!

I bought it online at Carphone Warehouse on a 35 quid a month from O2 and so the handset was free. I got 600 mins (which i wont use) and unlimited texts (of which i might use a hundred) and i've bolted on their 'unlimted' web access for £7.50... even capped at a coupla hundred Meg, i dont think thats too bad!

Its a bit on the chunky clunky side of things but in terms of camera and internet use its superb! The videocam aspect is quite something else.. Yet to really stretch it and put videos onto the PC to view but so far so good!

The UI is slick and easy to use and i am soo glad i didnt go for the Omnia - all i see over on Modaco is ROM updates and troubles!! Although i'm sure this device will let me down at various points - i dont feel like i have made a mistake going for Symbian!

The optical joystick is a bit fiddly but i am comparing that niggle with the potential of having messaging difficulties with only a touchscreen keyboard... Fring has come pre-installed along with Route 66, Yahoo!Go, Shozu, GypSii and a couple of games (Fifa 08 and Asphalt3)

My 3G coverage at home is a bit sketchy but with the WiFi, internet'ing is fine altho i would prefer some kind of shortcut to the web page overview.

So in conclusion - its a good 'un (so far!!) still to have a proper play with the GPS and i'm seeing how the battery is lasting... two days so far and still showing 2 of 6 bars!

I would recommend the handset to people if you dont have issues with the overall size and if anyone wants to know more, ask me and i'll do my best to help. If i had more time, i'd try to do a proper review but the wife would kill me if i gave THAT much luv to the new toy!!

Edited by Samsonite

Guest Samsonite

well, the O2 man said he has seen usuage of over a gig and never known anyone get stung for a big bill.....

time will tell i spose!!

cant think browsing and IM'ing will burn too much bits and bytes...

Guest awarner (MVP)

With data, two guys at work both claim their contracts (Voda and 02) have unlimited data.

I pointed out the fair usage policy and then one had a bill for £300, he fought it with O2 and had his money refunded.

Makes you wonder how much of your data use can actually be monitored?