MDA Compact IV Questions

Guest GuyAdams

Guest GuyAdams

I finally got my hands on a Compact IV from T-Mobile over the weekend and so far am fairly happy with the device;

ROM Version: 1.37.110.3 WWE

ROM Date: 06/20/08

Radio Version: 1.00.25.03

Protocol Version: 52.26a.25.09U

I have a few questions though that I don't seem to be able get answers for and would like your help.

1) Low Memory.

After installation of a only a couple of applications to the storage card, I have started receiving low memory messages. After a quick dig around I have moved the Opera cache and reinstalled google maps to the storage card but that still only leaves me 11MB out of a possible 85MB.

2) Power Settings.

Does this device turn off the Wi-Fi when it goes into standby? If so how can I prevent it from doing this? What happens is, when I wake my phone from standby, I see the the data connection icon (either H, 3G or G) and then after a couple of seconds the Wi-Fi icon reappears.

Whilst I obviously am grateful of the power saving it is causing havoc with Windows Live Messenger and other internet applications. This was never a problem with my S710, whenever I wondered out of the house the Wi-Fi would get disconnected and the data connection would pick up, WLM would re-sync and away I went.

3) Radio Version.

I have the stock T-Mobile ROM on my Compact IV. Is this the best radio version? If not then would it be advisable to flash the radio to a newer version? Would this improve signal strength?

Suggestions and advice is all greatly appreciated.

Guy

Edited by GuyAdams

Not sure on 2 and 3, but re. 1 did you install the apps to the storage memory rather than internal storage? You should always installs apps to internal storage because of this issue of eating up device memory. Uninstall and reinstall.

Guest captainsensible

2. Yes it does and I believe it can be overridden - check out the Diamond section in the xda-developers.com forum and look for the Advanced Config tool.

3. There are better radio's about - again, check out xda-developers, in the Diamond ROM section for more info - 1.00.25.07 is available and what I am using and its pretty good for reception/battery life, etc.

Guest vii_voo
2. Yes it does and I believe it can be overridden - check out the Diamond section in the xda-developers.com forum and look for the Advanced Config tool.

3. There are better radio's about - again, check out xda-developers, in the Diamond ROM section for more info - 1.00.25.07 is available and what I am using and its pretty good for reception/battery life, etc.

How much better is the battery life and reception?

Guest GuyAdams
Not sure on 2 and 3, but re. 1 did you install the apps to the storage memory rather than internal storage? You should always installs apps to internal storage because of this issue of eating up device memory. Uninstall and reinstall.

Everything I have installed has been to the 4GB 'Internal Storage', is there anything else I can move or remove from the phones storage?

I have this already installed but some how missed those Wi-Fi options. I have disabled 'Turn off Wi-Fi if no activity' but 'Wi-Fi auto off timeout' doesnt have a disable option, so I will use 10 mins and see how it goes.

I will look into flashing the radio, are the improvements significant?

Many thanks for your replies so far.

Guy

Everything I have installed has been to the 4GB 'Internal Storage', is there anything else I can move or remove from the phones storage?

Sounds odd then. I have 64% RAM free from power on, and haven't looked at changing Opera or Google Maps options yet.

Guest GuyAdams
Sounds odd then. I have 64% RAM free from power on, and haven't looked at changing Opera or Google Maps options yet.

How much free Storage Memory do you have?

My readings show;

Storage

Total: 84.94 MB

In Use: 74.41 MB

Free: 10.53 MB

Ive tried the power settings in Advanced Configuration Tool v3 but still it looks like my wireless is turning off when the phone is in standby.

Any other suggestions on this?

Thanks

How much free Storage Memory do you have?

Total: 84.44MB

In use: 34.55MB

Free: 49.89MB

(directly after booting the phone)

Presumably there must be something that shows more info than Task Manager, in terms of all running processes.

Guest Neil5459
Total: 84.44MB

In use: 34.55MB

Free: 49.89MB

(directly after booting the phone)

Presumably there must be something that shows more info than Task Manager, in terms of all running processes.

I think you two are talking about different types of Storage.

The OP seems to have only 10MB of Storage Memory left; some of the responses relate to Program Memory, which is the free memory to execute programs.

Task Manager won't indicate anything about Storage Memory, as this is equivalent to HDD sce on a PC, it will only report how Program Memory is being used. We dn't know how much Program Memory GuyAdams has.

Guy- did you use PIE at all, rather then Opera? It is possible that some of your missing memory is taken up by PIE Cache files. Open PIE and go to the Options/Memory tab, and Delete Files. Another possibility is that you may have inadvertantly saved some music or ringtone files into My Documents, rather than Internal Memory/my Documents? You could download Tillanosoft's SpaceFinder (free app) to sort out where your Storage memory has gone.

WiFi: Whatever the power save settings, timeouts etc, there is no way to keep WiFi awake with the device in standby, or even with ScreenOff. This is to protect the battery- WiFi uses 4X the quiescent power of the device, so would run the battery down in a few hours if allowed to stay on. If the WiFi toggle is left on, the device should pick up a WiFi signal when it comes out of standby, and transfer all data connections to that; when in standby, all data goes via GSM/3G

Radio/ROM: Your 1.37 ROM is OK, but slower than the newer 1.93 ROMs available from HTC or the XDA Devs ROM cooks. The Radio .03 ROM is not as battery efficent as later ROMs and the GPS performance is better with .05 and .07 Radios.