• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

shirozina

shirozina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTN II
Are there any apps out there that will give a grid reference instead of a latitude and longditude readout.

andrewkeith5

andrewkeith5

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Devices:Vario III, Nokia 5300
do you mean the ordnance survey grid of the UK, or some other grid system like a map or something? there are hundreds of different grid navigation systems in use in the UK

if you mean the OS national grid, then you can buy/download a program called Memory Map (memory-map.co.uk). The cost depends on which maps you buy it with, but the cheapest version is the national parks in 1:25k, which is £20 from amazon, but this will only give you the OS coordinates if you are within the boundaries of the maps you have installed on the phone.

the only other program I know of that might be able to calculate OS grid locations is Quo by Mapyx, which is cheaper but I don't think there is a windows mobile version

Aston University 2008/9 - Marketing - WOO :D

HTC Kaiser (T-Mo MDA V3 branded) - TLR 6.1 ROM, 2GB MicroSD, iGo 8 on a 515MB MicroSD, T-Mobile FlexT 25 + Web 'n' Walk Standard
Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue 6920G - Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2GHz, 3GB PC2-6400, 200GB HDD, ATi Radeon HD3650 512MB, Dolby Virtual Surround + True5.1 Output, Blu-Ray, HDMI, Fingerprint Recognition, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, Office 2007 Pro Plus with Onenote 2007

I know what I'm doing, I'm just not doing it :)

shirozina

shirozina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

do you mean the ordnance survey grid of the UK, or some other grid system like a map or something? there are hundreds of different grid navigation systems in use in the UK

if you mean the OS national grid, then you can buy/download a program called Memory Map (memory-map.co.uk). The cost depends on which maps you buy it with, but the cheapest version is the national parks in 1:25k, which is £20 from amazon, but this will only give you the OS coordinates if you are within the boundaries of the maps you have installed on the phone.

the only other program I know of that might be able to calculate OS grid locations is Quo by Mapyx, which is cheaper but I don't think there is a windows mobile version

Thanks Andrew but I think I have solved it with an app called 'GPS speed sentry' - this is a GPS speed monitoring application that tells you when you are approaching or have exceded a user set road speed but it also has a continuously updating OSgrid reference display which is exactly what I was after. It seems to locate and get a fix much quicker than Tom Tom as well.

andrewkeith5

andrewkeith5

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
ooh sounds good, have you got a link? i might find that useful myself

HTC Kaiser (T-Mo MDA V3 branded) - TLR 6.1 ROM, 2GB MicroSD, iGo 8 on a 515MB MicroSD, T-Mobile FlexT 25 + Web 'n' Walk Standard
Acer Aspire Gemstone Blue 6920G - Intel Core 2 Duo T5750 2GHz, 3GB PC2-6400, 200GB HDD, ATi Radeon HD3650 512MB, Dolby Virtual Surround + True5.1 Output, Blu-Ray, HDMI, Fingerprint Recognition, Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, Office 2007 Pro Plus with Onenote 2007

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Is there a formula for converting lat long to OS?

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

andrewkeith5

andrewkeith5

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
there is, but its quite complicated and i've yet to find one that has worked when i've tried

Edited by andrewkeith5, 27 August 2008 - 05:18 PM.

shirozina

shirozina

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Is there a formula for converting lat long to OS?

P

http://www.jstott.me.uk/phpcoord/

jontelfer

jontelfer

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Devices:Desire HD
Something for CamerAware maybe?

Every person appearing in my Dropbox referrals list will get a free speedboat or small family saloon*:

Speedboat or Car

*once the cash from my Nigerian goldmine owning ancestor clears in my account

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users