The custom ROM how-to discussion thread

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest lastnikita

Now that's an interesting topic ;)

I'd love to learn how to cook, too.

Would you have a link to that kitchen Paul ?

Edited by lastnikita

I have tried it and for now the answer is no. The problem first off is the tool to convert the bin to nb0 does not work. Myself and gOOndu have tried but no luck. I know it can be done as Chaimd has done it but I have not figured out a way yet. EFN has said he would look in to it when he has time. Can't wait to get a cooked ROM :wacko:

• 1 month later...
Any news on a usable kitchen? Fingers getting itchy... :lol:

Hi all! I'm new to this forum because I'm thinking of buying an omnia, it's so promising! I have a HTC Prophet now and use cooked roms for about 18 month now (tried so many, can't count them) which is a BIG advantage. So thumbs up for this effort! Unfortunately I can't help that much because I have very little idea of cooking...what you need would be an experienced "chef" or lots of motivation, time and coffee :D

Go, Paul, go! ;)

Guest datafanatic
Kitchen from asus 535, work perfect with our firmware.

Asus 535 Kitchen

If you rename firmware exe to bin, tools can extract NB0 image from.

Password on kitchen - "mrtoto" without quotes.

Well as i've run out of things to do with my omnia, i thought i would turn my attention to the idea of 'cooking' our own rom.

I've just downloaded the Asus 535 Kitchen mentioned in the previous post, and started to experiment.

First, I renamed the DXHI1.exe from Secany to DXHI1.bin (143,842kb) and loaded it up into the kitchen. The program automatically turns the .bin file into a .nb0 file (122,850kb), and also gives me an out.bin file (3,944kb) and a imgfs.bin file (118,314kb)

There are 4 parts to the GUI of the Asus535 Kitchen; Bootloader, UL, XIP OS and Imgfs. Not entirely sure what all of these are (other than bootloader). The only option available is to extract the Imgfs (all other extract options are greyed out), so i hit extract (getting more curious by the minute!).

This leaves me with, eventually, after the log says dumping 498 modules, a dump folder with lots of goodies inside!!! And even more if you tick 'show hidden files' in explorer!!!!!

I can see wma files for alarms, exe files for various applications that are on the Omnia, and stacks of folders with S001, S002 files in. Some folders also have .bin files inside.

Now the big problem, I'M STUCK - i've not got any experience in cooking roms, but from what i can gather, we may be able to change files, change sounds etc, even take programs out and add programs into the rom. But i need someone's help who has a better understanding of what to do next.

BTW, i also tried the Italian XIHI1 (not the exe but the individual bin files) and i get 511 dumped modules (with the pda.bin)

I think we could be onto something but as i said, HELP (Paul (MVP), awarner (MVP)??)

Laterz

DF :lol:

Edited by datafanatic

lets try to describe some process, how it possible with my english, dont forget - i'm from Russia :lol:

Bin part - this is part of firmware, you can extract this from fimware by any hex editor, for exapmle - Winhex. Opening frmware by Winhex, and trying to find in ASCII "b000f". We find some result, but we needed last result. From last "b000f" till end of file - this is our BIN part. Kitchen find this part automaticly. This is encrypted part, and can uploaded in to phone as PDA part by Grandprix. But we need to decrypt this for extract, we needed for decrypted NB0 image. Kitchen do it automaticly. If you start kitchen by BAT file (some comments in Russian, sorry), you can extract files, XIP, OS files and change everething, and after that, split into new NB0 file, and automaticly crypt into BIN file, for upload in to phone. I do it for my custom Russian firmware, based on HJ1 offisial, but sadly, i havn't some free time for it....

Edited by catmat

Guest Paul (MVP)

OK, so I am ready to make a custom ROM for everyone to use, if we can work out a safe way to rebuild the PDA part. I can extract the PDA to dump files, convert to packages, add my packages and do all that cool stuff no problem, I can also obviously build that back to a imgfs - the problem I have is getting it into the format to put back on the phone using GrandPrix.

catmat (anyone?), can you assist with this step?

I will try that P535 kitchen and see if that works?

Thanks!

P

Guest datafanatic
OK, so I am ready to make a custom ROM for everyone to use, if we can work out a safe way to rebuild the PDA part. I can extract the PDA to dump files, convert to packages, add my packages and do all that cool stuff no problem, I can also obviously build that back to a imgfs - the problem I have is getting it into the format to put back on the phone using GrandPrix.

catmat (anyone?), can you assist with this step?

I will try that P535 kitchen and see if that works?

Thanks!

P

As far as i can tell, when you hit the rebuild nb0 button, the file ends up as a .bin file, ready for using directly in GrandPrix (i tried this after dumping all modules and rebuilding without changing anything, and i was eventually left with a file called Rom.bin).

When you hit rebuild the Imgfs file gets rewritten, and then converted.

Let the cooking begin!!

Laterz

Edited by datafanatic

Guest datafanatic
OK, so I know what i'm doing today... :D

P

Me too, once i get back from the hospital (12 week scan for 2nd little one!).

Better get this cracked in the next 6 months as i'm going to be a busy boy after that, what with 2 nippers to deal with.

Paul - following your every move, any help i can offer, let me know (do you know of an emulator for us to test these newly cooked roms on?)

Laterz

Edited by datafanatic

Guest Paul (MVP)
Well as i've run out of things to do with my omnia, i thought i would turn my attention to the idea of 'cooking' our own rom.

I've just downloaded the Asus 535 Kitchen mentioned in the previous post, and started to experiment.

First, I renamed the DXHI1.exe from Secany to DXHI1.bin (143,842kb) and loaded it up into the kitchen. The program automatically turns the .bin file into a .nb0 file (122,850kb), and also gives me an out.bin file (3,944kb) and a imgfs.bin file (118,314kb)

There are 4 parts to the GUI of the Asus535 Kitchen; Bootloader, UL, XIP OS and Imgfs. Not entirely sure what all of these are (other than bootloader). The only option available is to extract the Imgfs (all other extract options are greyed out), so i hit extract (getting more curious by the minute!).

This leaves me with, eventually, after the log says dumping 498 modules, a dump folder with lots of goodies inside!!! And even more if you tick 'show hidden files' in explorer!!!!!

I can see wma files for alarms, exe files for various applications that are on the Omnia, and stacks of folders with S001, S002 files in. Some folders also have .bin files inside.

Now the big problem, I'M STUCK - i've not got any experience in cooking roms, but from what i can gather, we may be able to change files, change sounds etc, even take programs out and add programs into the rom. But i need someone's help who has a better understanding of what to do next.

BTW, i also tried the Italian XIHI1 (not the exe but the individual bin files) and i get 511 dumped modules (with the pda.bin)

I think we could be onto something but as i said, HELP (Paul (MVP), awarner (MVP)??)

Laterz

Got the kitchen, which file do I run to actually load in the BIN file?!?

P

This is what I've done so far.....

First rename the updater*HI.exe to bin, then run NB0_kitchen.exe then load the *.bin file.

It should get converted to *.nb0, ready for extracting and all the files should be there. Close NB0_kitchen.

I used pkgtool from Hypercore to create the packages, added a few OEM files to the OEM folder and ran BuildROM.

Before exiting after building is done, you should see a *.tpl file with the converted *.nb0, put that in the ROM folder, that would automatically be copied and renamed to ROMgalaxy.nb0 in the Tools folder.

Exit BuildOS and the NB0_kitchen should run again. Select ROMgalaxy.nb0 and I'm stuck here... it does not seem to read the XIP, so I can't extract and pack the XIP image...

Any ideas?

Edited by PaSSoA

Guest datafanatic
Got the kitchen, which file do I run to actually load in the BIN file?!?

P

Look in Tools and you will see an exe called NB0_Kitchen. Use mrtoto as the password and then select one of secanys executables (after you have changed the extension to .bin).

It will take about 3-4 mins to dump the Imgfs file after you hit extract, then press rebuild nb0 and the Imgfs file gets recreated and converted to .bin format.

I've yet to try a simple swap of a program (for example, the latest roms do not have the scientific calc when in landscape, so maybe we should try swapping the exe file for powercalc to one from an older rom, rebuild the Imgfs file and flash onto our phones). Then we can see if the simple process!! of overwriting files will work.

Edited by datafanatic

Guest Paul (MVP)

My progress much the same so far...

- Download P535 Kitchen

- Rename DXHJ1.exe to DXHJ1.exe.bin

- Run NB0 Kitchen (password MrToto)

- Extract NB0 from BIN

- Extract IMGFS (also extracts to dump)

- Replace a few packages (for testing!)

Now the fun part... building it again :lol:

P

I just included the OEM PIMbackup as a test. But like I said earlier, it doesn't seem to read the XIP info. If we're using grandprix, must we still have the xip.nb?