Is this website a scam?

Guest irusmal

Hi,

Did anyone used this website before: http://www.baymobile.co.uk?

They sell in bulk and their prices seem to be suspiciosly low... 25 new 3G iPhones 16GB for £2445 that's £97.8 per handset! For a device that is retailing at over £350, it looks too good to be true.

I googled this website but couldn't find anything. Their address is in Northern Ireland and appears on Department of Finance and Personnel.

Any comments would be welcome, I thought of buying phones here, but reluctant.

Guest Richard.Hughes

hi guys, I early today saw your postings ;) only after yesterday I placed my order with bay mobile of 5 iphones. do u think they`ll deliver or how is my situation ? they said in 2-3 days the items will arrive so I`m still hanging on.

cheers, richard

Guest WearTheFoxHat

Domain name:

baymobile.co.uk

Registrant:

Corinne Lutton

Registrant type:

UK Individual

Registrant's address:

The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their

address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrar:

Poldings Limited t/a Saffas Web [Tag = POLDINGS]

URL: http://www.saffas-web.co.uk

Relevant dates:

Registered on: 28-Jul-2008

Renewal date: 28-Jul-2010

Registration status:

Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:

ns1.saffas1.com

ns2.saffas1.com

Domain name:

baymobile.co.uk

Registrant:

Corinne Lutton

Registrant type:

UK Individual

Registrant's address:

The registrant is a non-trading individual who has opted to have their

address omitted from the WHOIS service.

Registrar:

Poldings Limited t/a Saffas Web [Tag = POLDINGS]

URL: http://www.saffas-web.co.uk

Relevant dates:

Registered on: 28-Jul-2008

Renewal date: 28-Jul-2010

Registration status:

Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:

ns1.saffas1.com

ns2.saffas1.com

Oh Oh, lets track these swines down

hi guys, I early today saw your postings ;) only after yesterday I placed my order with bay mobile of 5 iphones. do u think they`ll deliver or how is my situation ? they said in 2-3 days the items will arrive so I`m still hanging on.

cheers, richard

Good luck. If you do receive something, make sure that they are really 1) Iphones and not chinese knock offs, 2) 3G and 3) Unlocked.

baymobile.co.uk is gone.

Richard.Hughes - contact your bank and get your money back QUICKLY! (assuming you paid by credit card)

That was quick! Probably scammed few people and now running away!

Guest awarner (MVP)

That's what normally happens, after they recieve a few emails they normally shut shop very quickly.

That site was one of the worst mock sites I've seen. About two years ago I fell for a similar scam (but a well laid out site) for a nintendo Wii, unfortunately it's easy to get duped in a moment of weakness.

I believe trading standards closed the site I was caught by, but they were not that helpful as the site gave a Brighton address but the bank account was in north London.

From experience contact the police and your bank, get them to try and reclaim the money. They can also give you details regarding the account holder and bank used. The internet provider will claim no knowledge and just say they were asked to make a site for somone.

Unfortunately anyone caught out will be extremely lucky to get any money back as normally payment is via a bank transfer and the company normally withdraw and close the account as soon as they get some money.

lets hope not too many people got conned.

Guest WearTheFoxHat
baymobile.co.uk is gone.

Richard.Hughes - contact your bank and get your money back QUICKLY! (assuming you paid by credit card)

Might have something to do with me telling their hosting company that it was a scam site!

Guest WearTheFoxHat
That's what normally happens, after they recieve a few emails they normally shut shop very quickly.

That site was one of the worst mock sites I've seen. About two years ago I fell for a similar scam (but a well laid out site) for a nintendo Wii, unfortunately it's easy to get duped in a moment of weakness.

I believe trading standards closed the site I was caught by, but they were not that helpful as the site gave a Brighton address but the bank account was in north London.

From experience contact the police and your bank, get them to try and reclaim the money. They can also give you details regarding the account holder and bank used. The internet provider will claim no knowledge and just say they were asked to make a site for somone.

Unfortunately anyone caught out will be extremely lucky to get any money back as normally payment is via a bank transfer and the company normally withdraw and close the account as soon as they get some money.

lets hope not too many people got conned.

I guess the lesson to be learnt is:

If something sounds to good to be true ... then it usually is.

Always buy from a reputable company that has been trading a while. Such as Play, Clove, Expansys etc.

I almost bought my 46" Bravia from a company that was a good 400 quid cheaper than any other company and spent hours investigating them ... decided against it in the end.

Guest Richard.Hughes

I really don`t know as they said the package is on its way. I`ll keep you posted with what will happen next. I ordered the old iphones, not the 3g models, thought I`d go for the cheap ones, see if they`re good for it and then order the newly released models. Hope a package will turn up on monday.

Cheers,

Richard

Guest Richard.Hughes

Hey,

It`s monday now so I`m still hanging on. They said it will arrive today and I am very nervous, going to the post office and back, figure I am getting scammed. ;) Hope something will arrive in the mail.

Cheers

Richard