Omnia GPS

Guest sjc22us

I use TomTom Navigator 7 in Canada and it works well enough. It's not free, unless you were to steal it.

You're not going to find anything useful that's free... other than Google Maps. The only problem is you need a data connection to use Google Maps, and it doesn't give you turn-by-turn directions or 3D birds eye view.

Guest FutureDirt
Koofteh - do you need to use GPSGate with TT7 or you got it working without it ?

I use TT7 and have had to use GPSGate to get it to work. If anyone has got it working without GPSGate i t would be great to know how.

GPSGate is a bit of a battery drainer if you ask me

Guest FutureDirt
Not sure what GPSGate is but I have TomTom 7 on my Omnia and it works fine.

really? if i use TT7 without GPSGate all i get is Tom Tom telling me that there is Poor GPS reception?!!? It never actually gets a fix...

However... if i start GPS Gate before i start Tom Tom i get a fix in about 5 seconds flat!

Edited by FutureDirt

Guest realitymonkey
really? if i use TT7 without GPSGate all i get is Tom Tom telling me that there is Poor GPS reception?!!? It never actually gets a fix...

However... if i start GPS Gate before i start Tom Tom i get a fix in about 5 seconds flat!

I have exactly the same problem

I did not try it with GPS Gate.

I just configured it to work on COM3 / baud 4800 (this is the default for the i900 it seems, you can change it in the 'Connections' tab of Settings). It gets a fix reasonably fast outside.

same with me.

i think the people who say they got it working, got it working once. I read post where people have got it workin, go back to try again and cant get fix. GPS gate gets a fix in les than 3-5 seconds for me. I use a script to open it and tomtom at the same time, and also to close at the same time so it is seemless.

any program which uses gps will drain the battery.

I went out and specifically tested this issue, and it seems that GPS Gate does speed up the process. If I use GPS Gate, it gets a signal in about 5 seconds, whereas letting TomTom do it's own thing would taken 30 seconds and over.

Guest XtremeMaC

I'm using route 66 without the gpsgate. its working very good. at first i tried every method and i had failed. but then discovered that location of my house was the problem. as soon as i went on the road route 66 picked up the signals and google also picked up 6-7 satellites and its working..

prior to discovering my house problem, i had sent and email to route 66 and asked for what i could do. they said:

. Insert the ROUTE 66 CD in the CD drive of the computer

2. Connect the Samsung to the computer. On the screen of the device appears: Active Sync/ Disk Drive. Chose Disk Drive. Choose Done. If you haven´t connected the device to the computer so far, you will need to install to your PC the Microsoft Active Sync (for windows XP) or Windows Mobile Device Center (for Vista) and to enable the program to synchronize the Samsung phone ce with the PC.

- Choose from the ROUTE 66 DVD installation window : Browse

- From Browse > MemoryImage

- Select the content of the MemoryImage folder (2577, Data, Device) all at one time, then select 'Copy'. Do not copy the (entire) Memory Image folder, copy just its content.

- Paste the content on the Samsung device (open My Computer and locate the connected device. Open it and paste the copied items to the memory of your Samsung). Do not create a special location/folder in which to copy the R66 software.

After copying everything on the internal storage card safely please disconnect the cable by choosing to Safely Remove the Hardware from the toolbar of your PC. Turn off and then start again your Samsung phone and the application will install itself.

In case that the application does not start automatically, please go into the main menu > Programs > File Explorer > Storage card > 2577 > Route66 Nav (cab), and use this file in order to install the application.

On the phone, go to Settings > External GPS > Access > Tick next to the Manage GPS automatically (recommended).

If there are problems in receiving GPS signal please go to Settings > System > Gps > Hardware > Choose Port 6 (generally works best with the ROUTE 66 software).

well i haven't done this yet since its working.

Edited by XtremeMaC

Guest gruntjnr

This may be a newbie question but i am curious since i may be using GPS while overseas and the data plans for travelling are not very good.

Anyway does GPSGate use data at all? Since i read briefly that it connects to a server.

Guest CashMonkey

I'm using iGo8 which took some fecking about with, but it seems to be cranking along nicely now. Not to sure how strong it reads the satellites though...seems to be inconsistent. Being in New Zealand our choices are limited to good map support.

same with me.

i think the people who say they got it working, got it working once. I read post where people have got it workin, go back to try again and cant get fix. GPS gate gets a fix in les than 3-5 seconds for me. I use a script to open it and tomtom at the same time, and also to close at the same time so it is seemless.

any program which uses gps will drain the battery.

Hi IZIIZI

Do you mind to post your script here ? Have you also a script to close GPS gate when closing TT7 ?

Thanks

Edited by jclsm

Hi IZIIZI

Do you mind to post your script here ? Have you also a script to close GPS gate when closing TT7 ?

Thanks

Here is the script doin:

Launch GPSGate - Then TTN

Close GPSGate when close TTN

Please check u have corrects folders in the file or change them with your own folders openin the file with a text editor before u launch it ;)

SCRIPT_TomTom_Launcher.zip

Edited by dabeny

Here is the script doin:

Please check u have corrects folders in the file or change them with your own folders openin the file with a text editor before u launch it ;)

Hi

Many thanks

I'll try it

Regards

I'm using TomTom 7 in Canada with GPS Gate. It's on the default settings of COM3 and 4800, with hardware set to COM9 and Enhanced GPS enabled.

I get a signal with GPS Gate in a maximum 10-15 seconds in a dense area of town, and then TT7 gets a signal right when it loads up.

The advice I can give people who are still having trouble with these settings is to make sure you're actually outside and not trying it by a window or something. And make sure to stay stationary while GPS Gate is first locating the satellites, don't drive around in your car and expect to get a fix quickly.

Oh, and I'm on HH1.

Guest FutureDirt
Here is the script doin:

Please check u have corrects folders in the file or change them with your own folders openin the file with a text editor before u launch it :wacko:

Thanks alot dabeny!... script works brilliantly.

I had to edit it mind you cos i have all my apps installed on my storage card.

I now have this script mapped into the navigation menu for spb mobile shell (which is EXCELLENT btw), making everything seamless. ;)

Guest jasonrabbit
Thanks alot dabeny!... script works brilliantly.

I had to edit it mind you cos i have all my apps installed on my storage card.

I now have this script mapped into the navigation menu for spb mobile shell (which is EXCELLENT btw), making everything seamless. ;)

hi

can you please tell me what i need to do with the script as i put it into mystorage pressed on it and "got there is no applicatio associated with Script"

i have tomtom and gpsgate in mystorage/program files

help what do i do