Orange shipping all Omnia's to Shops

Guest bawhonk

Couldn't agree more, I'm awaiting the email address of one of the UK directors and will be dropping him an email this week to register my concern over how I've been treated. It's just slack really, as like you say, the truth would be fine, but that isn't what we get!

Indeed. Am not overly confident you'll get a reply (and if you do it will probably have been written by some secretary or assistant etc.), but if you do can you (subject to forum rules) post the reply on here?

Indeed. Am not overly confident you'll get a reply (and if you do it will probably have been written by some secretary or assistant etc.), but if you do can you (subject to forum rules) post the reply on here?

Better than an email, I had a couple of phone conversations today with a lady from the UK Chief Execs office (whom I'd sent the email to). She talked me through the usual round of apologies as I had emailed saying pretty much what everyone says about differing stories etc along with being with them for over 9 years as a high user (didn't even mention about anything I wanted, just to see what they said and I didn't want to come accross as someone out for a quick deal from causing hassle). She explained that there were stock issues with the phone, and went through the splits they have for existing customers, new, repair etc and agreed that it was annoying, mainly as they can't transfer stock between these areas which is standard for quite a few places. She had already investigated how this was communicated internally and said that this would be reviewed as it wasn't up to par. Fair play to her, she didn't start spouting about how things would change etc etc and offer the usual array of empty promises.

They offered to call me on the day they come into stock for anyone and ensured me that I would get one the same day, but I declined this to start with. Had mentioned about Vodafone being better on service in this instance in my mail, and said that this incident pretty much sealed the deal for me leaving Orange to go to them (and I've decided to get the Xperia as well! lol). She asked again for my number so they could call me when they get stock and offer a deal that beats any other offer I have from Vodafone. Mentioned I could get 1000mins, unlimited texts and unlimited web for 40 quid, and she said it should be no problem to do that for less if I decided to stay.

I think I would stay for the deal that would be offered if I still wanted the Omnia, but now I'm swaying to the Xperia bandwagon next week then it makes Orange a non-contender for me. Overall I was very happy with how it was handled, but then at that level they have to manage the complain properly.

Edited by timking

I'm glad you managed to actually get a reasonable reply out of them. If they weren't so scared and said that they had stock issues in the first place then the bitterness wouldn't be there. I am actually very loyal to Orange and do find it difficult to leave them (stupid I know). However I don't appreciate being treated like a mug.

I am curious as to one thing though - why are you looking to get the Xperia over the Omnia? Just curious - I really want to get an Omnia after all this fuss but I am still open to Touch HD etc... And given Orange's stance on supplying Omnias to upgrade customers through CS I am playing the waiting game and seeing what other options present themselves...

I'm glad you managed to actually get a reasonable reply out of them. If they weren't so scared and said that they had stock issues in the first place then the bitterness wouldn't be there. I am actually very loyal to Orange and do find it difficult to leave them (stupid I know). However I don't appreciate being treated like a mug.

I am curious as to one thing though - why are you looking to get the Xperia over the Omnia? Just curious - I really want to get an Omnia after all this fuss but I am still open to Touch HD etc... And given Orange's stance on supplying Omnias to upgrade customers through CS I am playing the waiting game and seeing what other options present themselves...

Exactly the same here, though this time I'm determined to break the seemingly pointless and under-valued loyalty I have with them.

I prefer the look of the Xperia over the Omnia and really like the idea of panels. To be honest, a few mates have the Omnia so I'd like something just as good if not better and newer/shinier ;) It's rare that my contract expires near a spangly new phone, so I'm taking advantage of it this time!

Exactly the same here, though this time I'm determined to break the seemingly pointless and under-valued loyalty I have with them.

I prefer the look of the Xperia over the Omnia and really like the idea of panels. To be honest, a few mates have the Omnia so I'd like something just as good if not better and newer/shinier :( It's rare that my contract expires near a spangly new phone, so I'm taking advantage of it this time!

Heh - good on you! ;) In fact if you do indeed get the Xperia X1 is it possible (given that your mates have the Omnia) that you can do an actual comparison between the two? Seeing as I have to wait if I want the Omnia then I may as well see what the alternatives are out there....:wacko:

Heh - good on you! ;) In fact if you do indeed get the Xperia X1 is it possible (given that your mates have the Omnia) that you can do an actual comparison between the two? Seeing as I have to wait if I want the Omnia then I may as well see what the alternatives are out there....:wacko:

Yeah not a problem at all. Seeing as if all goes to plan I'll be on the Xperia fairly early I'll be wanting to try everything straight away to see what it's really capable of!

Thanks for the updates. I've narrowed my phones down to the X1 or Omnia. I'm hoping the X1 has gone through enough testing by release time, they have had enough time to give it a good test what with the its announcement quite a few months ago. Its branding software thats more likely to introduce late on bugs. The Touch HD looks good spec wise but if I would only go for something that thick if it had a keyboard.

I gave Orange another call just now and the gentlemen informed me that the phone would be back in stock, released in limited numbers each week of Oct.... then discontinued at the end of Oct! I also asked about whether the X1 was on their books for near future releases and the answer was no. Hopefully by registering interest in the X1 on the VF site they will give me a heads up when its in.

Thanks for the updates. I've narrowed my phones down to the X1 or Omnia. I'm hoping the X1 has gone through enough testing by release time, they have had enough time to give it a good test what with the its announcement quite a few months ago. Its branding software thats more likely to introduce late on bugs. The Touch HD looks good spec wise but if I would only go for something that thick if it had a keyboard.

I gave Orange another call just now and the gentlemen informed me that the phone would be back in stock, released in limited numbers each week of Oct.... then discontinued at the end of Oct! I also asked about whether the X1 was on their books for near future releases and the answer was no. Hopefully by registering interest in the X1 on the VF site they will give me a heads up when its in.

With regards to the Omnia I think you got spun another line - I find it odd that they would continue with a phone for only 3 months (if that) and then drop it. It's purely a stock issue IMHO. Ah well might well have to look at the Xperia X1 (screen looks tasty - how much smaller than the Omnia is it screenwise? Noticeable?... Can Paul enlighten us?) or maybe even the Asus Galaxy7 on O2....

With regards to the Omnia I think you got spun another line - I find it odd that they would continue with a phone for only 3 months (if that) and then drop it. It's purely a stock issue IMHO. Ah well might well have to look at the Xperia X1 (screen looks tasty - how much smaller than the Omnia is it screenwise? Noticeable?... Can Paul enlighten us?) or maybe even the Asus Galaxy7 on O2....

Its 3inch screen so only a tad smaller but its high resolution 800 X 480 compared to omnia 400 x 220

Its 3inch screen so only a tad smaller but its high resolution 800 X 480 compared to omnia 400 x 220

Hmmmmm.... Damn you Orange!!! Now I'm more confused than ever ;) Would the screen be watchable for movies etc. (i.e. for an extended period of time)....

Edited by fuzzmo

Hmmmmm.... Damn you Orange!!! Now I'm more confused than ever ;) Would the screen be watchable for movies etc. (i.e. for an extended period of time)....

Movies would be less pixelated or 'blocky' on the X1 over the Omnia.

Movies would be less pixelated or 'blocky' on the X1 over the Omnia.

True. .2 of an inch shouldn't make that much difference in viewing area should it? Is the Xperia due to come out on Orange?

Yeah had noticed that this morning. Just tried Orange again and been told they are discontinuing the i900 totally due to software issues and it's not being sold to anyone at all! I pointed out that they are selling it, but to new customers at which point she told me they'd never get their phone.

This is what I got told yesterday when I called retentions. I spoke to a lady who must of been very close to drawing her pension. She had no idea what the Omnia was, she then had to speak to one of her colleagues, and I was told the same as above - that they would not be stocking the phone anymore due to a "massive" software problem.

I mentioned that the software seemed fine when I had a go with one at one of their stores.

I rang the normal sales hotline and pretended to be a new customer and interestinly enough they offered to send me an Omnia next day delivery if I signed up there and then, I even got her to double check her stock of the phone.

This, in my opinion is absolutly ridiculous, an ultimate FAIL on behalf of Orange. If I didnt have about 100+ loyalty points to use this year I would be jumping ship straight away. However, I am willing to hold on a couple of weeks and see my PAC code out. If they cant do anything I will just close the account.

This is what I got told yesterday when I called retentions. I spoke to a lady who must of been very close to drawing her pension. She had no idea what the Omnia was, she then had to speak to one of her colleagues, and I was told the same as above - that they would not be stocking the phone anymore due to a "massive" software problem.

I mentioned that the software seemed fine when I had a go with one at one of their stores.

I rang the normal sales hotline and pretended to be a new customer and interestinly enough they offered to send me an Omnia next day delivery if I signed up there and then, I even got her to double check her stock of the phone.

This, in my opinion is absolutly ridiculous, an ultimate FAIL on behalf of Orange. If I didnt have about 100+ loyalty points to use this year I would be jumping ship straight away. However, I am willing to hold on a couple of weeks and see my PAC code out. If they cant do anything I will just close the account.

I have more or less given up getting the Omnia off Orange. Am waiting for the Xperia X1 to come out on Vodafone and subject to the reviews on Modaco ;) I will go out and get that - no 16 Gb and 3.2 mp camera, but a gorgeous screen, and potential for a lot of good software to be developed for it. No accelerometer but I can live with that.....

Update: Just got off the phone with Orange and finally got an explanation. I was due a call back from a couple of weeks ago and got one today and spoke to a lovely woman called Christine. She put me through to retentions and I was probably told the truth for the first time namely:

- When the phone initially came out it went like hot cakes

- Afterwards the number crunchers did the maths and found doing direct upgrades through CS was too expensive

- Therefore they pushed their stocks to the shops and web so they could make some money on the handset

- They have a backorder list which is closed for now

- They are meant to be getting stocks of 100/200 a week but that has not been forthcoming from Samsung

- As far as she has been told they will not for the forseeable future sell to upgrade customers via CS

- Apparently they ARE dropping the phone due to the above reasons

- However she did say that knowing Orange things can change so she will check for me periodically to see if she can get me one

- I asked about the Xperia X1 and it is not on their list - she said that for those kind of phones O2 and Vodafone tend to get the jump on Orange, but again that can change...

So all in all an honest answer I believe. That's all I asked for. She accepted I might leave Orange because they didn't have the handset that I wanted. So I will be monitoring the Xperia situation closely in the next few days....

Spoke to orange yesterday and was told they have over 7000 on order from Samsung. They had problems with the handset previously and therefore will be doing more rigorous testing before releasing the phones. Expected them to be released in the next 2 weeks.

Looks like the propaganda machine has spat out another reason to the baying omnia upgrade customers!

Spoke to orange yesterday and was told they have over 7000 on order from Samsung. They had problems with the handset previously and therefore will be doing more rigorous testing before releasing the phones. Expected them to be released in the next 2 weeks.

Looks like the propaganda machine has spat out another reason to the baying omnia upgrade customers!

There are probably holes in the story I was told as well as the one you have been told. I am inclined to believe the one whereby they want to make money out of the Omnias hence they won't release it to us upgraders via CS. However I did get the feeling from the woman in CS that the situation could change over the next couple of weeks which fits in well with the story you were told.

The contradictory part of the story you were told is that they are not happy with the software and intend to do rigorous testing yet have ordered 7000 of the buggers?

Lol - I guess neither of us are any closer to the truth!!!!..... ;)

There are probably holes in the story I was told as well as the one you have been told. I am inclined to believe the one whereby they want to make money out of the Omnias hence they won't release it to us upgraders via CS. However I did get the feeling from the woman in CS that the situation could change over the next couple of weeks which fits in well with the story you were told.

The contradictory part of the story you were told is that they are not happy with the software and intend to do rigorous testing yet have ordered 7000 of the buggers?

Lol - I guess neither of us are any closer to the truth!!!!..... ;)

Latest call to the machine revealed that they are testing at the moment and have a target date of the 6th October to release 100 phones on a "first come first served" basis. However, throughout the conversation he did not sound too confident about this date and kept mentioning there was significant software problems which may lead to the phone never being released if they cannot overcome these.

Also they will not call me when and if the phone does come back in-stock for upgrade customers . <_<

Latest call to the machine revealed that they are testing at the moment and have a target date of the 6th October to release 100 phones on a "first come first served" basis. However, throughout the conversation he did not sound too confident about this date and kept mentioning there was significant software problems which may lead to the phone never being released if they cannot overcome these.

Also they will not call me when and if the phone does come back in-stock for upgrade customers . <_<

Heh - we should phone every hour and see what different stories we get ;) No harm in phoning on the 6th I guess - that is if I don't have an Xperia by then!

Well, guys I would seriously not believe anything you are told by Orange CS these days. I believe I have spoken to about 5 CS reps since finishing my contract and only one was willing to be openly honest and tell me my loyalty and what the best thing would be to do with regards to the Omnia.

UPDATE: I rang Orange new connections tonight, they initially claimed the phone was in stock, then the lass changed her mind after I mentioned that the internet site said it was not in stock. She explained that they had 3 at 18:00hrs tonight (it was 20:00hrs).

She explained that they have not been told a date when the phone will be back in stock, but to try calling back after the 1st of September when they will have new tarrifs and more info on stock.

Well, guys I would seriously not believe anything you are told by Orange CS these days. I believe I have spoken to about 5 CS reps since finishing my contract and only one was willing to be openly honest and tell me my loyalty and what the best thing would be to do with regards to the Omnia.

UPDATE: I rang Orange new connections tonight, they initially claimed the phone was in stock, then the lass changed her mind after I mentioned that the internet site said it was not in stock. She explained that they had 3 at 18:00hrs tonight (it was 20:00hrs).

She explained that they have not been told a date when the phone will be back in stock, but to try calling back after the 1st of September when they will have new tarrifs and more info on stock.

It's a stock problem hence they are redirecting stock to where they will get the money for it. Frustrating for all of us - but they are taking a risk and pinning their hopes that we will be loyal. They also know that they are the only ones who sell the 16Gb model. personally I am liking the Xperia more and more - I guess for me it is a question of timing....

The machine is now reporting 3000 (not 7000 as previously reported) Omnia's on order from Samsung, with 100 available each week from the 6th October (no change there then).

What is it in particular you like about the Xperia fuzzmo?

I had a quick play with mate's T-Mobile Omnia at the weekend and was impressed - the screen size and haptec feedback work well with number/letter input.

Have concerns with the Xperia - seems quite a large device with the hardware keyboard - no tilt sensor.

I'm using the original HTC Touch at the moment and hate the onscreen keyboard, but like its pocket size and style. Omnia will be noticeably bigger in the pocket and the Xperia will be larger still click here.

Not too bothered about the extra screen res on the Xperia. And the 5Meg camera on the Onmia sounds just what I'm looking for. Also like the Omnia application orientation (portrait/landscape) integration with the tilt sensor.

Lol - we are getting *closer* to the truth ;) They are getting stock in and will drip feed it to us. Guess you and I better be on the phone early on October 6th :(

Don't get me wrong - if Orange phoned me tomorrow and offered me an Omnia I would take it. They both have their plus points and their minus points. The Xperia is impressing me because I think their Panels interface will have a lot of mileage esp. with an open and free SDK. I know some aren't impressed with it but I can see it growing into something really good, and more importantly, useful. The screen looks seriously good with the hi-res goodness. I am coming from an N95 (21mm) and the Xperia is *only* 16/17mm - so still a difference for me :wacko: WiFi performance is v.good - apparently....

I have played with the Omnia and if I could get it on Orange then I still would. I thought it was far more responsive than most phones, great storage, very pocketable considering the 3.2" screen and was very impressed. The camera was a bonus but then I realised that I didn't really use the N95 camera much - if at all. Only concern is Wifi performance - i'll be using WiFi a lot as I do with my N95. Accelerometer is a plus but I believe the Xperia has a dedicated button to switch modes - would be great for games but am not sure I will miss it all that much...

That being said I need to play around with the Xperia before making a final judgement. Then again that might be a moot point if Orange don't get their act together with the Omnia (I have heard strong rumours that the Xperia is in testing with Orange - however could be just BS).

So all in all two great WinMo phones - I would be happy with either!

Edited by fuzzmo

Im gonna go for the Omnia purely for the tilt sensor (amongst other things). My current TyTn II has a button to tilt the screen and is practically worn out. I would also like a decent camera phone again with the option of it covering as a SatNav for car use.

Guest fuzzmo
Im gonna go for the Omnia purely for the tilt sensor (amongst other things). My current TyTn II has a button to tilt the screen and is practically worn out. I would also like a decent camera phone again with the option of it covering as a SatNav for car use.

Fair point - I'd already have an Omnia if it weren't for Orange. However I'd have to pay a fair amount of money to get it on Orange (and I know CS would do it for free - so why pay?). If I was to move networks (quite likely) I'd go for an Xperia X1 - doesn't really make any sense I guess but I would be happy with either ;)