Omnia as Modem

Guest tooxic

Is it possible to use the Samsung Omnia as a modem on a computer? If so is there any programs that I need?

Look on your mobile device at Programs > Internet Sharing ;)

Just connect your device and PC via USB or Bluetooth, select "Connect" in "Internet Sharing" and there you go.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Davman

Sorry for being an idiot. To use my phone as a modem I use internet sharing on my PC or my phone? I can not find where to share the internet on my Omnia. This would be really useful as I am moving house soon and will need the internet.

Thanks

Guest tooxic

Connect Omnia to PC and then Menu -> Programs -> then scroll to Internet Sharing. Click connect and voila internet should work on your computer...

Sorry for being an idiot. To use my phone as a modem I use internet sharing on my PC or my phone? I can not find where to share the internet on my Omnia. This would be really useful as I am moving house soon and will need the internet.

Thanks

• 10 months later...
Guest adrian.nikoolas
Connect Omnia to PC and then Menu -> Programs -> then scroll to Internet Sharing. Click connect and voila internet should work on your computer...

Hello!

It is nice to give something back to the Internet community and so I am posting this to help others when googleing for a solution to this problem :D

1. install the Samsung Omnia modem driver on your Windows PC - can be found @ http://www.samsungmobile.com/promotion/omnia/fr/sub02_xp.jsp

2. if you have installed Active Sync on your Windows PC then make sure that before you connect your mobile device to PC you disable "Allow USB connections" from the Active SyncOption menu

3. after you connect Samsung Omnia to PC, on your mobile device go to START->PROGRAMS->INTERNET SHARING and select the connection type (bluetooth or USB - most commonly used would be USB); tap "Connect". Your Samsung Omnia will connect to the mobile network if you have set up a profile for GPRS/HSDPA according to your billing plan provided by the network operator.

And that's about it!

Active Sync is not needed for this type of connection between PC and Samsung Omnia as Active Sync helps only when transferring data between the devices; remember 2. from above - you will see on your Windows PC that Active Sync will display a message like "no device detected".

Sorry if I haven't been accurate when describing menu options or messages being displayed, but I don't have my Samsung Omnia with me now.

Good luck! :angry:

• 6 months later...
Guest moo tensai
Hello!

It is nice to give something back to the Internet community and so I am posting this to help others when googleing for a solution to this problem <_<

1. install the Samsung Omnia modem driver on your Windows PC - can be found @ http://www.samsungmobile.com/promotion/omnia/fr/sub02_xp.jsp

2. if you have installed Active Sync on your Windows PC then make sure that before you connect your mobile device to PC you disable "Allow USB connections" from the Active SyncOption menu

3. after you connect Samsung Omnia to PC, on your mobile device go to START->PROGRAMS->INTERNET SHARING and select the connection type (bluetooth or USB - most commonly used would be USB); tap "Connect". Your Samsung Omnia will connect to the mobile network if you have set up a profile for GPRS/HSDPA according to your billing plan provided by the network operator.

And that's about it!

Active Sync is not needed for this type of connection between PC and Samsung Omnia as Active Sync helps only when transferring data between the devices; remember 2. from above - you will see on your Windows PC that Active Sync will display a message like "no device detected".

Sorry if I haven't been accurate when describing menu options or messages being displayed, but I don't have my Samsung Omnia with me now.

Good luck! :mellow:

this is the key...

i've tried before do that before, but failed...

but after i unchecked it, it WORKS!!!heheheh....

thx a lot adrian.nikoolas...

• 1 month later...
Guest omniaprosucks

Ive just registered purely to say thanks for the above post...

I was given an omnia proB7610 as part of a new job and we had to use it for our jobs that are sent to us on an a webpage via opera browser, needless to say it sucks,

the thing is i spent 3 weeks fartin about trying to install the device as a GPRS modem, and as a bluetooth modem and trying all sorts of things so

that i can access opera on my laptop without any luck

i had almost given up when i found this site and now thanks to you all i had to do was follow the above and all is now as i want it..no more using a tiny screen to view opera, i can now use my neat little acer one....

thanks again for the advice ....

Edited by omniaprosucks

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lytieulong
Look on your mobile device at Programs > Internet Sharing :)

Just connect your device and PC via USB or Bluetooth, select "Connect" in "Internet Sharing" and there you go.

the "Connect" at the bottom left is disable help me

<none> in the dropdown box

Guest omniaprosucks
the "Connect" at the bottom left is disable help me

<none> in the dropdown box

It stays disabled until you choose a connection profile, such as O2 Web or Vodafone,

If it doesnt show any then your phone is not setup for any kind of internet access and then you wont be able to use the IS facility

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...