Samsung Omnia, memory critically low

Guest ChewieT

Guest Jen09

Hi,

I've cleaned out my phone a few times to free up some storage memory but recently, I tried to extract a zip file with an app I wanted to install and it consumed ALL the remaining memory (currently: 0.02mb; I had about 10mb left on storage memory) but the msg came up as insufficient memory. So does anyone know where I can find the 'partial?' extracted file to clear/delete it?

Thanks

Guest deedles
Hi. I have a Samsung Omnia on VZW network. I was getting the "Memory Critically Low" error too. So, I opened File Explorer and did some searching for files that could be removed etc. I found an entire cache of files here: My Device: Program Files: VZAppZone:Temp:Temp

I deleted these files using a mass delete: Menu:Edit:Select All: Menu:Delete With no ill effects as of yet.

I spent the better part of an hour testing every application on the phone, opening contacts, etc. I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Doing this freed up almost 35mb of storage!!!!!

Has anyone else done this? Thank you!

Rick

Rick, you are da MAN! I have been wrestling with this phone's memory on and off for three months and I was about ready to give up and take the loss.

ATTENTION EVERYONE!!! Follow Rick's advice and delete all of these stupid files and UNINSTALL VZAPPZONE crap!

My hero...

• 5 weeks later...
Guest nxtvctm

"I've cleaned out my phone a few times to free up some storage memory but recently, I tried to extract a zip file with an app I wanted to install and it consumed ALL the remaining memory (currently: 0.02mb; I had about 10mb left on storage memory) but the msg came up as insufficient memory. So does anyone know where I can find the 'partial?' extracted file to clear/delete it?

Thanks"

Must be an Australian thing, I just did the same thing and went thru my whole phone looking for these files to delele : (

Guest dwallersv

VZAppZone is only a problem if you've activated it... If you don't, it doesn't take up any space.

The single biggest change you can make to solve involuntary low memory problems (i.e., you didn't consciously do something like install a bunch of apps in main memory) is to move the browser caches to secondary storage, and move messaging files to secondary storage (the latter, in particular, is usually the cause of low memory).

Instructions for the former are in this thread. The latter requires some registry changes, and is well documented here in two or three threads -- easy to find with a search. Once done, all email, SMS, and MMS will be stored on internal MMC or external SD -- your choice.

Guest Priceless07
Hi. I have a Samsung Omnia on VZW network. I was getting the "Memory Critically Low" error too. So, I opened File Explorer and did some searching for files that could be removed etc. I found an entire cache of files here: My Device: Program Files: VZAppZone:Temp:Temp

I deleted these files using a mass delete: Menu:Edit:Select All: Menu:Delete With no ill effects as of yet.

I spent the better part of an hour testing every application on the phone, opening contacts, etc. I haven't noticed anything wrong.

Doing this freed up almost 35mb of storage!!!!!

Has anyone else done this? Thank you!

Rick

I think u also need to check if u have Vito Audio touch installed as by default it saves all conversation on memory... delete ur calls and lo.. u get loads of free memory!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest jazz198X
Which raises a question for me. Not sure if if has be brought up before but:

Where is it best to install programs?

Storage card or on the internal?

Can it be a difference between software to software?

I am a old Nokia user and this is my first Wndiws Mobile Phone so not 100% with it yet!

On the Nokia phones I could install a prog on the sd card and switch on demand, for example. I had one card with only games etc! Might not be necessary with the omnia as it has a massive stoarage but might come in handy, can never have enough of storage you know;)

If you use storage as USB disk, it is not accessible to omnia while hosted to a master device. therefore you will not be able to run applications installed to storage while the storage is in usb disk mode (which has a lot faster data transfer than activesync and with 8/16G one can notice). hence it is usefull to have certain critical applications installed to program memory (as in my case, really good file explorer, shell extensions, keyboard, remote control, etc.).

So, I registered especially to say the following, because it annoyed the cr*p out of me also.

check in your Opera > download folder

I had downloaded something of 32MB which obviously made the phone memory of 90MB spill the bucket, after an hour of entensiv searching trough the folders (because the file didn't appear when I did the search for files larger then 64kb) I found that this was my problem, also, I didn't have the phone for that long yet so when clearing the cache it gave me another 3.5MB..

hope this helps anybody

Thanks!!!!

I was playing around with downloading audio books from the library . . .and never could figure out where they went. This answered the question and helped me with the low memory issue. Now to get Opera to put downloads elsewhere! Found that by putting opera:config in the browser address bar and search for download

Edited by ed56