Bundle.One - 10+ TOP WinMo apps for $49.99... are you in?

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)
bundleone.jpg
Back at the start of 2008, I spoke with many software developers about the concept of a 'Windows Mobile Software Bundle' (codenamed Bundle.One).

Life as a Windows Mobile developer is rather difficult, and in an effort to expand the ways that developers can offer their products to end users, I have been exploring the viability of a bundle offering.

If you are a Mac user in particular, you will likely be familiar with the concept of bundles. In a nutshell, for a purchase price of around $49.99, you receive a selection of top applications at a massive discount. The Bundle.One project has been a considerable amount of time in planning and discussion but I am now at a stage where I need to solicit feedback from your guys to help test the viability of the bundle! Of course, the developers are offering their applications to the bundle at a considerable discount, so the success of the bundle is based on volumes of sales.

What I would like YOU to do, is to vote in the poll on this topic, to indicate your level of interest in such a bundle (news page readers, you need to click 'View Topic' to see the poll).

First some specifics about the bundle...
  • The cost will be $49.99, payable by credit / debit card or PayPal
  • The bundle will be available for both Pocket PC and Smartphone
  • The bundle will include AT LEAST 10 top applications, likely a couple more than that
  • The retail price of the bundle is expected to be in excess of $200
  • The licences in the bundle will be full retail licences
  • 100% of the revenue from the bundle will be distributed among the software developers. For my part, one of my applications will be included in the bundle.

Please do vote, discuss, forward this topic to anyone you think may be interested and even send this topic to developers who you would like to see in the bundle. Of course, space in Bundle.One is limited (although the exact set of apps is still unconfirmed, hence me not naming them here!) however if the first bundle is a success, future bundles can definitely follow.

Thanks for your time, and look forward to hearing your feedback ;)

P

Guest XtremeMaC

There are many apps for the winmo's and of course people use different ones. but i'm sure there are plenty that everyone uses and would be great to see them in a bundle.

I've replied with 'Maybe if the apps appealed to me!', but it would be more accurate to say 'Definately if at least 2 or 3 of the apps appeal to me'.

As a software developer myself I try to buy direct from devs wherever possible, so it really appeals that all the revenue is split between developers rather than middlemen taking their (not inconsiderable) slice.

I kinda thought you'd have already been in discussions with the software vendors you have in mind. But if you're looking for idea's, I'd go for all of the apps I currently use I guess.

Ilium Software eWallet

Sprite Backup

Spb Phone Suite

Opera

Spb Mobile Shell

BirdieSync (I'm a Thunderbird user)

Pocket Informant

Cootek TouchPal (I currently use the free version)

Spb GPRS Monitor

The rest of my stuff is either freeware or more expensive commercial apps like TomTom or MemoryMap.

Guest WearTheFoxHat

I was going to suggest making it best of breed apps. But then there would be a huge outcry when BobSoft's Calendar App is deemed to be better than JaneSoft's!

Guest Paul (MVP)
I kinda thought you'd have already been in discussions with the software vendors you have in mind. But if you're looking for idea's, I'd go for all of the apps I currently use I guess.

Ilium Software eWallet

Sprite Backup

Spb Phone Suite

Opera

Spb Mobile Shell

BirdieSync (I'm a Thunderbird user)

Pocket Informant

Cootek TouchPal (I currently use the free version)

Spb GPRS Monitor

The rest of my stuff is either freeware or more expensive commercial apps like TomTom or MemoryMap.

I have, I wanna know if they match up ;)

P

Possibly.

My concern though is that if the bundle has, say, 10 apps then I'd expect that I'd already have say 2 of them, 2 of them I'd probably have equivalents (and so wouldn't be of interest), 2 simply wouldn't appeal, so that leaves four which would have to justify the price.

But I'd certainly consider it carefully - that's not a large amount of money and so those apps that did appeal could easily justify that sum.

My suggestion would be to focus on categories, rather than particular apps, and so something like:

One backup program

Two or Three Games

One "Personal Productivity" Program

One User Interface/Shell Program

One or Two System Utilities

One Communications/SMS/Profile/Call Manager type

etc.

That way, the bundle is a sort of "complete" package of everything you might want to complete your phone.

Guest PPCInformer

I potential problem i see with this is many of us might already have a licensed version of some of the application on offer.. One suggestion I have is offering many application for the bundle and letting the user choose the 10 apps he/she like ( might not be a feasible idea but users might find this more appealing )

EDIT : didnt read the whole thread , looks like my theory was already discussed ;)

I potential problem i see with this is many of us might already have a licensed version of some of the application on offer.. One suggestion I have is offering many application for the bundle and letting the user choose the 10 apps he/she like ( might not be a feasible idea but users might find this more appealing )

EDIT : didnt read the whole thread , looks like my theory was already discussed ;)

Yes but it IS the best theory :wacko: :(

Edited by 1Mack

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.