Grab a Celio REDFLY for $199 until the end of October

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

redfly.jpg

The image above probably says it all really... until the 31st October you can grab a Celio REDFLY - their Smartphone companion device - for only $199 as part of a special 'seed program'.

While the device is great, at the initial $499 or later $399 it was a tough call against one of the new generation of Netbooks (depending on your usage scenario of course), but at $199 it's a very much more appealing proposition!

To learn more about the REDFLY you can check out my original 'Ask Paul' thread. In Celio's own words, the REDFLY is 'a sleek clamshell design that includes an 8" display, a full function keyboard, and a touchpad mouse. Measuring just 1x6x9 inches and only 2 pounds, the REDFLY Mobile Companion offers over 8 hours of battery life and boots instantly! It also adds three new features - instant VGA output, access to USB flash drives, and the ability to charge your smartphone via USB.'

The killer features for me have always been the instant usability (no data held on the device), the stunning battery life and the great size. I know we have some REDFLY owners here on MoDaCo... pitch in with your thoughts on the device (and the price drop!)

P

PS I added one to the cart, and it came to $250 including UK delivery!

Guest Syphon Filter

Lets be serious for a moment.

In my opinion the Redfly is complete waste of time! Why would you drop $199 on this when you can still get a netbook for (almost) comparable money? You cant even use this thing without a smartphone! It's just TERMINAL.

Even with the instant usability and battery life, it just seems like a waste of time. Netbooks FTW!

Guest Paul (MVP)

Valid points... things I think in the Redfly's favour:

- Awesome battery life, phone still charged after 8 hours tethered use

- Data connection anywhere you phone was one

- Super-easy deployment to staff for a business that has already deployed WinMo devices

- No data duplication

- No data loss if Redfly is lost

It is a niche, but for people it DOES suit, I think it's excellent.

P

Guest fatbutcher

ooh, now thats the right sort of price.

Anyone using one of these in anger with a diamond/compact? I know its not on the supported devices list, but does it work with VGA devces ok now?

Guest fatbutcher
Lets be serious for a moment.

In my opinion the Redfly is complete waste of time! Why would you drop $199 on this when you can still get a netbook for (almost) comparable money? You cant even use this thing without a smartphone! It's just TERMINAL.

Even with the instant usability and battery life, it just seems like a waste of time. Netbooks FTW!

The main draw for me is having it to extend the battery life of my phone when I'm away, you could spend half as much on a external battery extender, why not pay a bit more and get an external keyboard and screen too. Of couse at the price it was before I totally agree.

Guest Balifly33

Has anyone tried getting one of these to work with an Omnia?

Checked W/ CelioCorp and got the following response:

While it is our intent to support all Windows Mobile based phones, we are not currently supporting the Omnia I900 phone. We do however, have this phone on our horizon for the future. My suggestion is to check our web site often for continual phone and driver updates.

Have a Great Day!

I'm Hopeful!

Edited by Balifly33

Guest whatledog
Has anyone tried getting one of these to work with an Omnia?

Yeah, if I were to get an Omnia, I'd think about getting something like this. Being able to use the keyboard only at times when I need to and, still have the thinness (is that a word?) of the Omnia for everyday carrying around would be cool. But that's what my bluetooth and/or wireless KBs are for, right? Uh, Maybe a "no" on the redfly....

Guest Balifly33

I've got a Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard but i cant seem to locate any drivers to get it to work on my Omnia... Sucks, I'm diggin the Redfly I just dont wanna pony up 2 bills if its not gonna work with my phone.

I imagine its just a matter of time till a driver is developed my only concern is the unusual screen size of the Omnia.]

Guest pbarclay

As far as I am aware, there aren't any Think Outside drivers for WM6+ devices.

I tried downloading a driver from the Think Outside website when I purchased my Touch Dual and then realised that the only option is to rely upon the inbuilt drivers that support the device. Basically, once you have paired it as a bluetooth device, it should work fine and should not be affected by the screen pixel count.

However, the support for the iGo keyboard on the Touch Dual is a bit weird. The Touch Dual has a half keyboard which can work in XT9 mode. This must be disabled for the iGo to work as it keeps trying to autocomplete words which is very irritating. So, it must be used in ABC mode but this also causes weird entries unless the on-screen keyboard is displayed when everything works fine. If other keyboard layouts are displayed, such as letter recogniser, it also tried to autocomplete.

Needless to say, it is a pain having to ensure that the device is in the correct mode but well worth it for Word documents. I have just spent 3 days at a conference in Italy and it was an ideal setup for note taking during the lectures.

Unfortunately some of the symbols do not work such as £ nor do the application launcher buttons. However, the sheer brilliance of the iGo keyboard's design and portability together with fantastic battery life makes it ideal for anyone who uses a Pocket PC. The iGo is great on a small desk but even works when sitting on my lap, making it ideal for all talks.

Guest whatledog

As far as the Igo KB goes, I use it with a wizard with wm6.1 on it. I took the ppc5 driver and installed the cab. You cannot pair the kb using start/settings/bluetooth/...; you must use the igo program to pair the device. It seems to work ok for me. I just hope the Omnia will be the same way, WHENEVER ATT BRINGS IT TO THE US ;)

PS I added one to the cart, and it came to $250 including UK delivery!

Don't forget to allow for import duty, VAT and courier admin fees on top!

Edit: All the "Buy Now" links redirect to their Amazon.com store, which won't allow delivery to the UK anyway...

Edited by Metoo

Guest Markda2000
Don't forget to allow for import duty, VAT and courier admin fees on top!

Edit: All the "Buy Now" links redirect to their Amazon.com store, which won't allow delivery to the UK anyway...

Paul How did you manage to get to a "check out" for a Uk delivery?

As far as I am aware, there aren't any Think Outside drivers for WM6+ devices.

There are unofficial drivers. I am using a Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard with my Diamond and my Trinity, both on 6.1.

Edited by ZSX

Guest Balifly33
There are unofficial drivers. I am using a Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard with my Diamond and my Trinity, both on 6.1.

Where perhaps did you come across these unofficial drivers; i'd really like to know as my Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard is collecting dust on my shelf.

Guest whatledog
Where perhaps did you come across these unofficial drivers; i'd really like to know as my Think Outside Bluetooth keyboard is collecting dust on my shelf.

I just used the ppc5 drivers on my wizard with 6.1 on it. Try that.

Wow, now THAT is a good deal IMHO! 126 quid - 10 quid voucher...

P

Informative review here might help you decide whether it's going to be a useful, or redundant, piece of plastic.

I don't like the sound of it struggling with anything other than basic WM apps, seems a bit of a waste of time if it can't even do what it is supposed to do!

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/08/13/re...phone_terminal/

Guest Matchstick

Wow, now THAT is a good deal IMHO! 126 quid - 10 quid voucher...

P

Sadly it appears that it's a Special Offer price (might be nice to say that somewhere on the page) so it doesn't work with vouchers, but still that's a damn good price.

Guest Markda2000

Sadly it appears that it's a Special Offer price (might be nice to say that somewhere on the page) so it doesn't work with vouchers, but still that's a damn good price.

ordered mine and the voucher worled too.

expecting delivery on Friday.

;)

Guest Matchstick
ordered mine and the voucher worled too.

expecting delivery on Friday.

:wacko:

I got mine yesterday ;)

I've managed to get it working on both a Touch Diamond and an Omnia by using the Touch (400MHz) driver from http://www.celiocorp.com/install/beta/

It's not perfect (Opera not working is a pain) but on the couple of train journeys I've done so far it's worked really quite well and I can really see the advantages of using it.

Edited by Matchstick

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.