Should i avoid the t-mobile diamond?

Guest Cyrusir

Im on the look out for a diamond from ebay, the tmobile variant seems to be the cheapest, i know it has less ram, is this an issue in use?

The mda looks a little sleeker to me, and seems to come with the pouch as std?

Is the battery any better or worse? and can i still use roms from xda dev?

cheers

Guest Neil5459
Im on the look out for a diamond from ebay, the tmobile variant seems to be the cheapest, i know it has less ram, is this an issue in use?

The mda looks a little sleeker to me, and seems to come with the pouch as std?

Is the battery any better or worse? and can i still use roms from xda dev?

cheers

As far as I know, the T-Mobile variant (HTC Victor/ P3702) is identical to the other variants despite its different case, and you can use any Diamond ROM in it, subject to it being properly CID unlocked.

They both have the same memory, though some Diamonds are quoted as 192MB, and the Compact IV at 128MB. T-Mobile don't include the 64MB dedicated video memory, as it isn't available to the OS.

The Compact IV comes with a felt "bag", not a proper case, so not really worth bothering with.

Also because of the diferrent shape, many Diamond accessories like screen protectors, extended batteries, and some docking stations and cases, won't fit.

Battery life is exactly the same (i.e. crap).

They've also swapped the Home/Back and Call start/end keys around, which doesn't make any sense.

Despite all that I actually prefer the T-Mobile casing to the ultra-square HTC - makes it a bit more comfortable in the hand and pocket (and as you say, the price is better too).

Edited by Metoo

The Compact IV comes with a felt "bag", not a proper case, so not really worth bothering with.

Also because of the diferrent shape, many Diamond accessories like screen protectors, extended batteries, and some docking stations and cases, won't fit.

Battery life is exactly the same (i.e. crap).

They've also swapped the Home/Back and Call start/end keys around, which doesn't make any sense.

Despite all that I actually prefer the T-Mobile casing to the ultra-square HTC - makes it a bit more comfortable in the hand and pocket (and as you say, the price is better too).

dunno if i can deal with the battery life, ruined the original n95 for me, maybe ill just wait on the omnia to drop a little ;)

Guest andybarker

I've got the T-Mobile version, and I prefer the case style to that of the HTC shape (a friend has the one from Vodafone).

Biggest problem for me has been the accessories - the T-Mobile casing is a slightly different size, so a desktop charger / cradle / sync stand I got specifically advertised as being for the T-Mobile phone is about 1.5mm too narrow!

I prefer the hard buttons on the T-Mobile device, as they are further up the phone and so much easier to press with the thumb of the same hand that is holding the phone.

Battery life is much better with the new firmware on any Diamond version (not that T-Mobile have released it yet!).

In summary, I'd say the answer depends on your specific requirements / expectations.

Guest Neil5459
dunno if i can deal with the battery life, ruined the original n95 for me, maybe ill just wait on the omnia to drop a little ;)

I don't think the Omnia is significantly better :wacko:

In fact, most WM 3G devices are unlikely to last more than 24-36 hours, especially with WiFi and GPS as well.

As andybarker says though, the new ROMs have made a significant difference- I was getting about 10-12 hours with quite hard use- I now get around one and a half days, which is no worse than my older Trinity.

I've got the T-Mobile version, and I prefer the case style to that of the HTC shape (a friend has the one from Vodafone).

Biggest problem for me has been the accessories - the T-Mobile casing is a slightly different size, so a desktop charger / cradle / sync stand I got specifically advertised as being for the T-Mobile phone is about 1.5mm too narrow!

The "proper" HTC dock comes with adapters for both (and for cases with extended batteries). Hell of a price though.

I prefer the hard buttons on the T-Mobile device, as they are further up the phone and so much easier to press with the thumb of the same hand that is holding the phone.

Not sure on that. I press the Home and Back key far more often than the call keys. That's why the original layout made sense, as all the navigation (and soft) keys were logically grouped together.

Battery life is much better with the new firmware on any Diamond version (not that T-Mobile have released it yet!).

Yes it's surprising they haven't updated it yet, even on new stock, when Voda and Orange have done so. Things should be much better if we (ever) get the bigger Victor battery.

In summary, I'd say the answer depends on your specific requirements / expectations.

Quite agree, choice is good.

Guest andybarker
Not sure on that. I press the Home and Back key far more often than the call keys. That's why the original layout made sense, as all the navigation (and soft) keys were logically grouped together.

I use mine as a phone more than a PDA. I tend to use the screen for navigation more than the home / back button (not figured out exactly when the back button works and doesn't - maybe I should read up on it!). I guess I haven't gotten used to using the new buttons, and do things the way I used to without them - but Home is dead handy on occasion.