81 replies to this topic

kaer

kaer

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia
Interesting. I deleted the .map, rebooted and I don't even see the image of phonepad now. Tried deleting the .xml, same. Altho it did regenerate both files after a reboot. Back to drawing board, maybe it's the map.bmp mess up.

Samsung Omnia 16GB HJ1

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Devices:Motorola Milestone
You should not delete .xml, there are actual commands for the keyboard layout in here, and .map.bmp are used to define the key positions which you reference in .xml by color codes (these must exactly match).

Quist09

Quist09

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
I couldn't figure out how to get GIMP to let me add a color to the palette, but since I'm just trying to add a big space bar at the bottom, I figured I'd let the system see it as an L-shaped key extending down from the current space bar.

Got it working, but my clever design made the thing so wide (tall? top to bottom anyway) that it blocked the screen. Back to the drawing board.

Any advice on how to get GIMP to let me add colors to the palette? Or should I use one of GIMP's own palettes and rewrite the color codes in the xml files (i.e. loads more work)?

Edited by Quist09, 05 October 2008 - 03:29 PM.

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

I couldn't figure out how to get GIMP to let me add a color to the palette, but since I'm just trying to add a big space bar at the bottom, I figured I'd let the system see it as an L-shaped key extending down from the current space bar.

Got it working, but my clever design made the thing so wide (tall? top to bottom anyway) that it blocked the screen. Back to the drawing board.

Any advice on how to get GIMP to let me add colors to the palette? Or should I use one of GIMP's own palettes and rewrite the color codes in the xml files (i.e. loads more work)?

File | Dialogs | Color Map

Quist09

Quist09

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Cheers Ingvarr. Will have a look at it when I get a chance. Thanks for your help in general too.

In the meantime, I got to thinking that I actually like the portrait version of the Samsung keyboard, because the letter keys are not located right next to the Send button in Messaging as they are in the landscape keyboard. Also got to thinking that I already had a ready-made .map.bmp etc. just with the wrong dimensions.

So basically, I used the files from the portrait keyboard and resized everything to fit the landscape dimensions 400x111. Still needs some refining, but I'm pretty happy.

In the next few days, I'll be running it through the hoops to see how I like it. If all goes well, I may ditch Resco Pro Keyboard and Adaptxt for my landscape solution.

Quist09

Quist09

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
I've put together my own Swedish landscape keyboard available below for use at your own risk if anybody is interested.

I also noticed that the first section of the xml file refers keypresses to index numbers and I'm wondering if that provides input to the XT9 system to recognize possible typos, but I ignored that and added characters as characters only (meaning XT9 will correct "oroblem" to "problem" but will not correct "åroblem").

I'll test this when I've had a chance, but otherwise I'm pretty chuffed at having been able to throw this together and get it working.

Seriously considering ditching Resco! ;)

Edited to add screenshot.

Attached Files

Edited by Quist09, 06 October 2008 - 07:50 AM.

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

I also noticed that the first section of the xml file refers keypresses to index numbers and I'm wondering if that provides input to the XT9 system to recognize possible typos, but I ignored that and added characters as characters only (meaning XT9 will correct "oroblem" to "problem" but will not correct "åroblem").

Yes, index numbers is what gets referenced from .kdb file to produce char sequences - you can actually see possible sequences if you open .kdb with binary editor.

Edited by Ingvarr, 06 October 2008 - 05:58 AM.

Drolevar

Drolevar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i900
Ok, maybe someone can provide the same information for the phone keypad? I really want to integrate Russian letters into English firmware, as it's done in Russian firmware.
And also, maybe you know how to integrate English/Russian keyboard from a Russian firmware into English firmware?

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Ok, maybe someone can provide the same information for the phone keypad? I really want to integrate Russian letters into English firmware, as it's done in Russian firmware.
And also, maybe you know how to integrate English/Russian keyboard from a Russian firmware into English firmware?

To enable Russian/English keyboard on English (DX) firmware, just install this CAB - http://www.mediafire...php?yqtnoz2jdyw
Use long press on XT9/abc to switch between Russian and English.

Phonepad (that appears when you press call button) is not soft input method, so its done in entirely different way than XT9 keyboards discussed in this thread.

Edited by Ingvarr, 06 October 2008 - 08:19 AM.

pidsw

pidsw

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Devices:HTC Touch Vogue
One possible way to make the keys wider would be to stagger them diagonally. So QWERTYUIOP would occupy two lines, but I *think* that if they were staggered it may be intuitive to use..
i.e.
Q E T U O
W R Y I P
I could be completely wrong there. I go back and forth between touchpal and the samsung keyboard. It is difficult to decide which is best, they both have excellent prediction/extrapolation

Ingvarr

Ingvarr

Professional

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

One possible way to make the keys wider would be to stagger them diagonally. So QWERTYUIOP would occupy two lines, but I *think* that if they were staggered it may be intuitive to use..
i.e.
Q E T U O
W R Y I P

Hmm, I think this could actually work, nice idea ;)

Massive Attack

Massive Attack

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

I've put together my own Swedish landscape keyboard available below for use at your own risk if anybody is interested.

I'll test this when I've had a chance, but otherwise I'm pretty chuffed at having been able to throw this together and get it working.

just wondering, in my english keyboard, in landscape mode, i have the comma (,) in the numbers screen, not in qwerty screen, in your mod i saw that its in qwerty screen, how did you do that? what files did you edit?

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm not suffering from insanity, I'm enjoying it.

Quist09

Quist09

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

just wondering, in my english keyboard, in landscape mode, i have the comma (,) in the numbers screen, not in qwerty screen, in your mod i saw that its in qwerty screen, how did you do that? what files did you edit?

For the first version of my landscape keyboard, I harvested the portrait keyboard files and resized and renamed them and references in the .xml.

In otherwords, copy the portrait keyboard files, resize the images to 400x111 keeping the internal key scaling (use a % scaling). Then rename the files from "Portrait" to "Landscape". In the xml file, change the header size attribute to 400x111 and then do a cut-and-replace to replace "Portrait" with "Landscape". Delete the landscape .map file, copy your new files into Windows, softreset and VIOLA!

Try the attached files.

In the previously posted version, I needed to have three extra keys on the keyboard, so that took some more doing.

Attached Files

Edited by Quist09, 06 October 2008 - 03:54 PM.

Massive Attack

Massive Attack

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

For the first version of my landscape keyboard, I harvested the portrait keyboard files and resized and renamed them and references in the .xml.

In otherwords, copy the portrait keyboard files, resize the images to 400x111 keeping the internal key scaling (use a % scaling). Then rename the files from "Portrait" to "Landscape". In the xml file, change the header size attribute to 400x111 and then do a cut-and-replace to replace "Portrait" with "Landscape". Delete the landscape .map file, copy your new files into Windows, softreset and VIOLA!

In the posted version, I needed to have three extra keys on the keyboard, so that took some more doing.

im interested because i want to resize the portrait keyboard down to 75%, give more space for viewing what you typed, i resized them all but the "frame" that popped up is still height 198 and all the keys are gone, thanks for informing me about the size at XML file.

Can I ask what do you think I need to do? i feel i left out more than the XML file.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Massive Attack

Massive Attack

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
i manage to shrink the keyboard and the letters are showing, but its off the screen, somewhere i need to change?
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quist09

Quist09

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

im interested because i want to resize the portrait keyboard down to 75%, give more space for viewing what you typed, i resized them all but the "frame" that popped up is still height 198 and all the keys are gone, thanks for informing me about the size at XML file.

Can I ask what do you think I need to do? i feel i left out more than the XML file.

I edited the post above to add my other version. No screenshot, but I suspect it may be what your looking for (although I changed the height to 120 instead of 111 because the bottom keys were too small otherwise).

Scratch that. Just saw you want to resize the actual portrait keyboard.

Edited by Quist09, 06 October 2008 - 04:00 PM.

Massive Attack

Massive Attack

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

hey dude, may i ask why do i have to delete the Samsung_i900.Keyboard.Common.Landscape.Map.map? will it auto-regenerate and map the new keyboard accordingly?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Quist09

Quist09

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

hey dude, may i ask why do i have to delete the Samsung_i900.Keyboard.Common.Landscape.Map.map? will it auto-regenerate and map the new keyboard accordingly?

Yup. If you're wary about deleting it, simply relocate it elsewhere or rename the file suffix to .old. Upon a softreset, if the system doesn't find the file it will use the bitmaps to create it and then the xml to assign characters to the buttons.

If you don't, the system will use the same .map file that was already there, but will try to overlay the new info from your altered xml file.

PS I forgot to mention before that the font used on the portrait keyboard is 100 and the font on the landscape keyboard is 80, so you're going to want to change that in the xml file as well, otherwise it'll work, just won't be as pretty.

Edited by Quist09, 06 October 2008 - 11:57 PM.

Quist09

Quist09

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts
Here's a slightly newer version of the Swedish landscape keyboard. I used the unused keys in the symbols keyboards to make the other Scandinavian characters more easily accessible as well as é. These are some characters that are used relatively often in Swedish as well.

Enjoy!

Attached Files

sedted

sedted

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Here's a slightly newer version of the Swedish landscape keyboard. I used the unused keys in the symbols keyboards to make the other Scandinavian characters more easily accessible as well as é. These are some characters that are used relatively often in Swedish as well.

Enjoy!

Tack! Works fine. Now I'm going to a fix åäö for the portrait also(at least under the first symbol page).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users