Thinking of getting a Diamond...

Guest Pulse

Ok, so I'm thinking of re-entering the Smartphone fold, and have a few questions about the Diamond and future models.

First of all, what's the best price on one? Best I've seen so far is:

Free on Vodafone

£25 per month

150 Mins, 500 texts

Any better than that available? Even on PAYG?

Next up - is it worth waiting for the HD? I like it, but I presume it'll be mega expensive when it first comes out?

The GPS... Right, I don't get it. Can I use it JUST as a normal GPS? I don't want to incur costs when I use it.

Does it work with anything??? I've seen stories that the GPS doesn't work with anything like tomtom.

What should I bear in mind when considering one? What other options are there?

Oh, and finally, hello to anyone that recognises me! But I'd imagine not, as it's been a long time!!!

The GPS... Right, I don't get it. Can I use it JUST as a normal GPS? I don't want to incur costs when I use it.

It's A-GPS I believe, which means it can use cell networks to try and locate if it can't get a proper GPS satellite signal. No idea if this works in the UK, although I have a feeling it does.

In short though, it works just like a normal GPS. Nothing to worry about.

Does it work with anything??? I've seen stories that the GPS doesn't work with anything like tomtom.

Not true. I've used it with TomTom 6, and am currently using with TomTom 7. I also use Google Maps (which comes with it), TrafficTV(.co.uk), and GPS Tuner, which all work fine. In fact the GPS system can be very quick to locate, given the right conditions.

What should I bear in mind when considering one? What other options are there?

Battery, battery, battery. The battery is small in comparison with other phones, so if recharging every night is going to upset you and/or you need LOTS of talk/data time during the day, then this isn't the phone for you.

Ok, so I'm thinking of re-entering the Smartphone fold, and have a few questions about the Diamond and future models.

First of all, what's the best price on one? Best I've seen so far is:

Free on Vodafone

£25 per month

150 Mins, 500 texts

Any better than that available? Even on PAYG?

I got the tmobile version, mda compact iv, from beepy it cost £25 +£25 a month for 12 months less £40 back from quidco, but it only has 150 minutes and 150 texts but that usually does me. I needed a gadget more than a phone :lol: Total cost £285 which is cheaper than buying the phone sim free

Guest Neil5459
It's A-GPS I believe, which means it can use cell networks to try and locate if it can't get a proper GPS satellite signal. No idea if this works in the UK, although I have a feeling it does.

In short though, it works just like a normal GPS. Nothing to worry about.

Not true. I've used it with TomTom 6, and am currently using with TomTom 7. I also use Google Maps (which comes with it), TrafficTV(.co.uk), and GPS Tuner, which all work fine. In fact the GPS system can be very quick to locate, given the right conditions.

The A-GPS feature is only implemented in the O2 version (O2 Ignito)in UK; the A-GPS cache is an on-chip feature and uses cell locations sent via the control system of the GSM signals of compatible networks, so doesn't use any mobile data and is independent of the voice network. I'm not sure if this works across the O2 network at present.

Other operators (and HTC devices) continue to use QuickGPS which is a software data download based on your approximate location.

The GPS receiver on the Diamond seems to be sensitive to position and needs a good view of the sky for a decent fix, probably due to the small size of the antenna; Radio versions 1.00.25.05 onwards have better GPS reception than earlier versions.

I've used it with iGO8, GPSTuner and CPL7 with no problems.

Guest wwaveydave
Next up - is it worth waiting for the HD? I like it, but I presume it'll be mega expensive when it first comes out?

The HD is a lot bigger. It's Iphone sized.