Diamond Wednesday

Guest shaggyguitarist

Guest shaggyguitarist

Okay. I have my Diamond coming on Wednesday through Orange.

All I need to know is.. What should I install / uninstall, disable etc. when I have it charged up and switched on.

In other words...give me some tips and tricks on what I should do (apart from phone calls or texts).

Ive read about the battery issues, so wamt to make sure I start off well with the battery. Im always so tempted to switch my new phones on before the recommended initial charge time and dont want to weaken the battery.

All I need to know is.. What should I install / uninstall, disable etc. when I have it charged up and switched on.

All I have on mine at the moment is TF3D Config, Weather Database Editor, and Batti (other than some specific apps, such as TomTom).

Ive read about the battery issues, so wamt to make sure I start off well with the battery. Im always so tempted to switch my new phones on before the recommended initial charge time and dont want to weaken the battery.

There's nothing to show that even a solid initial full charge is that vital, but on the flipside it doesn't do any harm. What is known though is that it will take several charges for a Lithium Ion battery to get to it's top capacity, and that they prefer shallow charging.

Of course you can use the phone while it's getting its first charge.

Guest Neil5459

Agreed on both points !

The one vital thing to do when you get it is to check the ROM version. Start/Settings/System/Device Information. Make sure the Radio is 1.00.25.05 and the OS is 1.93.00. If not, you must consider reflashing- I suspect all current Orange Diamonds will have the new ROM, because it has been available on Orange's website for about a month now.

As to other software- it depends entirely on what you want to do. GPS needs a decent SatNav program, and music playback needs a decent player software (the Touch Player is OK, but you will soon tire of the limitations in track/album/playlist selection and navigation!)

I have found that the battery takes a much longer time to optimise than previous WM devices- mine didn't reach its full potential for about 2 weeks, though this may have been the poor initial ROM that was on mine. There's no harm in 'playing' during the initial charge, which can take up to 4 hours. Mine came 90% charged anyway.

Have fun!

Guest shaggyguitarist

Charged and loaded up , though my sim hasnt been activated yet.

I looked at the radio and ROM as you suggested Neil. The Radio is 1.00.25.05, the ROM is 1.93.405.1 WWE.

Is that the old ROM ? What benifit will flashing have, and how do I do it? (sorry complete noob)

Thanks

Guest Neil5459
As Neil5459 said, the versions you have are fine. I think it is only T-Mobile that are behind the times.

Enjoy your new toy!

Yep- you're good to go :lol:

Although there are newer 'cooked' ROMs around, they are only marginally faster, and you really won't notice a difference in everyday use. The .05 Radio is good, with a good balance of sensitivity and battery life.

Just play with it, and see what you like or don't like.

Guest wwaveydave

The Diamond ROM is not filled with the usual Orange rubbish, and the ROMs these days are pretty well optimised from the word go.

I think the Touch3D is pretty good as far as Today screen replacements go. Why not give it a go with the original software and see how you get on? You might be surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Neil5459
my ROM is saying 1.37.405.1 and my radio version is saying 1.00.25.03

is this old version? im on oramge got phone 2 days ago

Yes- for some reason you have been sent a phone with the original ROM versions installed.

You can find a help page on the Orange website with a link to the latest ROM Here . Be aware that a ROM update will wipe everything off the phone's main memory, so either make sure everything is backed up, or be prepared to reinstall what you've already installed.