WE CAN NOW COOK CUSTOM ROMS! What do we want in / out?

Guest PaulOBrien

If you plan to cook customer ROM, i suggest try with i900DTHJ5 (lastest Australian version), as it fixed the DLS problem on widget clock and system clock, plus it's a lot better for GPS, and, I have ready pda.bin, and csc too. I'll upload it and we can have it after 12 hours, here is 4AM :lol:

Guest squeezo

Video-editor out............ NO!

You guys maybe wont know it. This is the only and I mean only one for wm.

If it goes out , then please extract a installercab for it.So we can install it manually.

Eric

Guest FlorianO

OUT: The builtin movie player. (Basically worthless)

IN: NO Data; Some connection manager / traffic counter.

Rgrds,

Florian

Edited by FlorianO

Guest onlinejobwork
take out EVERYTHING and make all apps (if possible) available as cabs.

The Custom ROM can then be a bare bones OS (with tweaks) and people can install what they want, how they want.

:lol:

I am 100% agree with you we just dont need anything except the basic operating system and some software which is necessary to run the phone and then user will device what they want and what not

Thanks

Aakash

Hey! For me there are two good ways of cooking a custom rom: 1) A very clean rom so everybody can install what he/she wants (would be good to have all parts of the original rom as cabs available) 2) A original rom with just updated components, maybe with some little tools for tweaking.

Heya, another vote for a clean rom so everyone can spice up what he wants to.

i think it's a good idea to cook a clean rom with manilla on it :lol:

Edited by shrud

Guest Omnia_1

Paul let me know if you need OEM packages, I have some experience but not much free time :lol:

(A tip) Battery drain issues can be directly related to modification of original OEM/SYS structure, scpecifically driver and Core modules. Somehow putting these modules further away from their original location causes sever battery drain.

Looking forward to your custom ROM's good luck.

One more thing bug I have encountered is .netcf3.5 Module, tried modules created by various cooks and always encounter errors when installing apps created under the .net3.5 framework. Technically with the latest dotnet compact framework ie 3.5 we dont need .net2, however I wonder why no offically released ROM from any OEM, HTC, Samsung etc has the latest .netcf?

Edited by Omnia_1

Guest omnia newbie

keep : Touch player.. (best quality on TV output)

Window live .. (i needed to chat?.... I guess some one need yahoo too)

update: opera, google map as cab.....

remove: internet explorer....

Guest tropolite
If you plan to cook customer ROM, i suggest try with i900DTHJ5 (lastest Australian version), as it fixed the DLS problem on widget clock and system clock, plus it's a lot better for GPS, and, I have ready pda.bin, and csc too. I'll upload it and we can have it after 12 hours, here is 4AM :lol:

Ooo... this is exciting!!

Looking forward to the cooked version. I'd go along with the majority of folk here with having a lite version with cabs to install if at all possible. The Touch Player I'd keep coz it plays (my) avi's fine, and have had hassles with Coreplayer... unless there's another option (hmmm... I need to search the forum).

Secany, I didn't realise there was an aussie fw version out there. Swwweeett. Liking the GPS and clock fix.

Can't wait to help trial it.

What a cool place MoDaCo is!! :D

Cheers

Getting a clean ROM is not so easy, must test and make sure that all the files and dependencies are still intact. Anyway, I'll wait for secany's new DTHJ5 for my kitchen, should make things simpler. In the mean time, I'll start seeing what files I can remove from my HJ1 kitchen to make it lighter.

Guest Omnia_1
You will make us a big favor to the extend that I will be ready to donate, if you make it easy to uninstall many of the programs listed in the main menus , ALL of us does not use some of them :

Touch player - FM radio - Internet -photos slides - media album - ms office components - ....

also if you can treat some of the problems found, like not able to use the BT headset with the voice dialer.

many thanks in advance .

Perhaps Symbian is a better choice for you :lol:

Another (probably the 30th) vote for super clean rom!

I personaly dont need most of the stuff, but you will find it difficult to satisfy most ppl. As you can see. Easiest, would be to have the clean rom and cabs for whoever need whatever to put those up, I think we can all agree with that.

please don't remove touch player, its good, why people don't like it

Hi,

A litte explanation why. This crap Touch player f*** my memory card when scanning media files. This was fixed with DXHI1 rom but it's comming again in the newest roms. So I can't use it. I've no problem with any other player like coreplayer or pocket player.

It's strange I agree.

Only 3 advantages with Pocket player:

- sound seems a lot better

- you can choose where to scan the files. With Touch player you cant do that. So you have ringtones too in you library ! :lol:

- Pocket player do everything that Touch player do, and much more;

Sorry about my language :D

Edited by jclsm

Ok, what I've done so far in a bid for a "cleaner" ROM.

Files I removed: Welcome Center, Windows Live (i don't use it), Samsung Widget, Digital Frame, FM Radio, Podcasts, RssReader, Shozu, Taskswitcher.

So far, everything seems fine, only some hardcoded shortcuts in Samsung Today 1 & 2 which still points to the programs, looks like I'll remove them as well.

Leaves me with Free 65MB Storage and Free 60MB Program. Will update as I go along.

Guest skullster

Well PaSSoA sound V good so far. I guess there are lots of us monitoring this thread and ready to test! If the resultant ROM can be in exe format many more will be keen to try it. Are you making the removed apps into cabs as you go or is the first stage just clearing out the non essentials and testing?

Perhaps when you are ready with one to test we can have some form of proceedure to follow so everything is propely tested in order so we all are confident its OK. This should prevent duplication of errors and problems can be identified by the stage in the process a problem is identified. - Just an idea... :lol:

Guest Paul (MVP)

I am going to release 2 ROMs based on the Australian HJ5 (when Secany posts), my personal ROM (with a few pointless bits removed, some bits updated, but fairly stock) and also an ultra-lite ROM with a whole ton of stuff abstracted to CAB files (including Windows Live, Transcriber, Shozu, various Samsung apps, Google Maps, Opera etc. etc.)

P