105 replies to this topic

dede99

dede99

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Devices:Apple iPhone 3GS
iGO8 here also and I don't notice any improvement as before the registry edit, the files are gone but my GPS connection is like before. Needs about 1-3 minutes without iNet connection.
And it was the same on the DXHH1 ROM as now on the MCR01 ROM for my GPS nothing has changed @ all.
But great to hear it helps some ppl :lol:

gravityz

gravityz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Devices:omnia i900
i have rom XKHH8/XKHH4

after i did the tweak google maps was unable to get a fix.
it seems on my version that it needs the xtra data to work
after that i can disable al items bu this tweak does not work on HH4

iGO8 here also and I don't notice any improvement as before the registry edit, the files are gone but my GPS connection is like before. Needs about 1-3 minutes without iNet connection.
And it was the same on the DXHH1 ROM as now on the MCR01 ROM for my GPS nothing has changed @ all.
But great to hear it helps some ppl :lol:

PDA:Samsung i900XKHJ3/XKHJ3
PHONE : Samsung i900XXHH9

Mig-L - Bell

Mig-L - Bell

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Devices:Samsung SGH-i900/OMNIA
Everybody says that the GPS takes long to lock... But mine lock's in 15/20 secondes, it did out of the box and still with DXHH1... Strange...

MatOla

MatOla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia
I can not delete or change GPSID_log.txt.

new2city

new2city

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 396 posts
  • Devices:b7610 with 16Gb MicroSD

I can not delete or change GPSID_log.txt.

you can only delete that file after you have did the registry change and soft reset.

civilmanx

civilmanx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Superb Thanks a lot

super raptor

super raptor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Devices:Sensation XE

If you turn off XTRA, you'll notice that it may require even more than 15-30 minutes to get a fix. Turning on XTRA will shorten this to almost instant fixes...

Many people prefer to disable Enhanced GPS Settings, XTRA data download. This is because 3G/GPRS data connections can cost a lot, especially if you are abroad and roaming.

It seems like Samsung has left some settings turned on in the registy, for debugging purposes, and this makes really slow to get a fix without XTRA data. According to Microsoft's documentation (see GPS Intermediate Driver General Registry Settings) some features like logging can be enabled for debugging, in GPS Intermediate Driver's registry settings, which stays between the hardware and your navigation software.

My experience shows that the following steps seem to improve the time to get a GPS fix, without need to download XTRA data:
1. Go to Settings > System > Enhanced GPS and set both settings to "Disable"
2. Go to your device's registry, and see the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver

sounds stupid but how to get into my device registry?

Edited by super raptor, 23 October 2008 - 07:02 PM.

Geronymous

Geronymous

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100

sounds stupid but how to get into my device registry?

You need a registry editor, like the one included in Resco Explorer. I think that TotalCommander (free) can also be used for that.

Amerikiwi

Amerikiwi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
Weird how it is only helping some people out. One thing I have noticed is that after a soft reset before this tweak I would have to fuss around and do the 'xtra' download etc, then it would take 3-4 minutes to get a fix, but now after a soft reset the unit shows no satellites, then 15 seconds later it shows a minimum of 6 satellites, then within another 10 secs it has a fix.

BSG

BSG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Devices:Polaris
My Omnia is installed with a small file called q-gps. I have tried the method described here but it didn't make much difference to my Omnia, which still takes about 5 mins to log on. My HTC TC faired much better, logs on in less than 10 secs without having to do any adjustment. Sigh....

pda512

pda512

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

If you turn off XTRA, you'll notice that it may require even more than 15-30 minutes to get a fix. Turning on XTRA will shorten this to almost instant fixes...

Many people prefer to disable Enhanced GPS Settings, XTRA data download. This is because 3G/GPRS data connections can cost a lot, especially if you are abroad and roaming.

It seems like Samsung has left some settings turned on in the registy, for debugging purposes, and this makes really slow to get a fix without XTRA data. According to Microsoft's documentation (see GPS Intermediate Driver General Registry Settings) some features like logging can be enabled for debugging, in GPS Intermediate Driver's registry settings, which stays between the hardware and your navigation software.

My experience shows that the following steps seem to improve the time to get a GPS fix, without need to download XTRA data:
2. Go to your device's registry, and see the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver
3. Change the following string values to nothing (don't delete them, just edit them and clear the value):
CurrentLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.txt)
OldLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.bak)
4. Soft-reset your device
5. With File Explorer, go to My Device, and delete the two GPSID_log files you see, and the file named xtra. If you don't soft-reset, you will not be able to delete some of them.
6. Check again the registry setting. Sometimes in rare cases it may revert the settings back - but that's a general WM problem.

After this, if you start your navigation software under clear sky, you can get a fix in a coulpe of minutes, without the use of XTRA, or any other data source, than pure native GPS satellites.

To digg in the registry there are many free and shareware tools available, I can recommend Total Commander CE, which has a registry plugin.

Also noticed (but this may be really subjective) that flipping the device with the back upwards, while waiting for GPS fix, improves reception a bit - it seems like the internal receiver antenna is oriented to the back of the device... but if anyohe has dissassembled the Omnia can confirm or infirm this.

Works like a charm - thank you. :lol:

Nexus One - ERE27

borzack

borzack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all, complete noob to gps and wm here.
Before this tweak, i enables xtra in enhanced gps settings.
I installed Garmin mobile xt.
Tap 'I Agree' btn
Then i tapped the satellite signal icon on the top left screen:
it says COM3: COM 3
then i tap GPS Info
It Says Acquiring Satellites
and i can see a few satellites...
and i managed to get a fix ONCE.
then i did the tweak.
and now I don't see any satellites :lol:
can anybody tell me what's wrong?
thank you.

robertut

robertut

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
EVERYONE: 5 mins is fast for Omnia. This fix is for those people, who get a fix in 10-15-30 minutes or so, without enabling XTRA.

gravityz

gravityz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Devices:omnia i900
Upgraded rom to HJ3

again did the tweak, again no luck

this is problably only working on a couple of devices

this gps needs XTRA data, that is the way it is designed.

i switched from portsplitter to gpsproxy which seems to be working a lot better

stay away from gps gate becasue that program puts a lot of virtual port entries in your registry
so many that other programs will stop working because they use the same port.

EVERYONE: 5 mins is fast for Omnia. This fix is for those people, who get a fix in 10-15-30 minutes or so, without enabling XTRA.

PDA:Samsung i900XKHJ3/XKHJ3
PHONE : Samsung i900XXHH9

kw8e

kw8e

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

What was it in the end? I noticed on my device after a softreset the OldLogFile would reset its string?

Same thing happened to me. Repeated the steps several times bu the Oldlogfile string always resets to the original value. Should I ignore it or is there another way to permanently clear the string.

Vik Star

Vik Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i900
Thanks alot. This worked brilliantly - gets a fix within seconds indoors. However it still sucks battery power. Anyone else noticed this as well.

thanks

Vik

smoothcrooner

smoothcrooner

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
Hi,

I can find External GPS on my Omnia but not Enhanced GPS , am I missing something?

Samsung Omnia 7 ( 8GB)
Samsung Omnia i900 (16GB) + 8GB MicroSD Card
PDA: i900DXIF1/OMNIA
PHONE: i900DXIA5

bobobird

bobobird

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Devices:i900

Thanks alot. This worked brilliantly - gets a fix within seconds indoors. However it still sucks battery power. Anyone else noticed this as well.

thanks

Vik

You must be doing something wrong!!!

Haha

Btw - just noticed this

With xtras enabled, even if the log files are deleted and the registry entries cleared, the 2 files are recreated once the gps is used. But no changes are made to the registry (the entries are still blank).

Edited by bobobird, 26 November 2008 - 11:40 PM.

Lancez

Lancez

Hardcore

• Moderator Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,093 posts
  • Interests:My Devices:
    Galaxy Nexus
    Samsung I9100
    Samsung S8600 Bada
    Samsung I8000
    Samsung I900
    Sony Ericsson X10a

3. Change the following string values to nothing (don't delete them, just edit them and clear the value):
CurrentLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.txt)
OldLogFile (originally \GPSID_log.bak)
4. Soft-reset your device
5. With File Explorer, go to My Device, and delete the two GPSID_log files you see, and the file named xtra. If you don't soft-reset, you will not be able to delete some of them.
6. Check again the registry setting. Sometimes in rare cases it may revert the settings back - but that's a general WM problem.

After this, if you start your navigation software under clear sky, you can get a fix in a coulpe of minutes, without the use of XTRA, or any other data source, than pure native GPS satellites.

To digg in the registry there are many free and shareware tools available, I can recommend Total Commander CE, which has a registry plugin.

Also noticed (but this may be really subjective) that flipping the device with the back upwards, while waiting for GPS fix, improves reception a bit - it seems like the internal receiver antenna is oriented to the back of the device... but if anyohe has dissassembled the Omnia can confirm or infirm this.

can u make cab for it?

Vik Star

Vik Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • Devices:Omnia i900

You must be doing something wrong!!!

Haha

Btw - just noticed this

With xtras enabled, even if the log files are deleted and the registry entries cleared, the 2 files are recreated once the gps is used. But no changes are made to the registry (the entries are still blank).

Oh s*** your right, it's struggling again this morning. Oh well have to hang on until there a proper fix.

Thanks

vik

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users