How does it compare?

Guest Confucious

Guest echoes35

I just got my G1. I'm currently unboxing it and it looks much better than the pictures on the internet.

Will post again after I finish all setup an using it.

Guest Ghost_1

Coming from years of WM phones both smart and professional, I am both delighted and disappointed. The functionality of File explorer and the like are missing. However I'm sure in the near future it will be implemented. Being that it's open source for developers it's only a matter of time until someone makes it.

Right now it's fairly bare bones. It does the job with minor issues.

Last night while talking to another WM prof. phone users we briefly went of the phones pros and cons.

Without making a huge list, cause they are all over the internet, I'll point out a few things that might have slipped through my readings.

1. Google has everything sync'd. It's both a pro and a con. All my contacts are sync'd over the airwaves to my goole GMAIL account, which means calendar appointments, contacts, documents, ect. are all stored on the web. So Basically I'm not as mad anymore that my 8 month old 8GB memory card that died yesterday is busted. :lol:

2. The touch screen is very similar to the Diamond and it's variants. I had an issue with my TYTN II that made me hate the phone. I believe there was a memory leak on one of the apps causing the phone to be slower then all my buddies running the same roms and such. However the feel is somewhere inbetween the iphone and older touchscreen phones. It's not glass like the iphone so I believe it is less prone to breakage. :D

b. I know people have complained about the orientation of the slide on HTC phone since they started putting them on. I really don't care which way the dpad/trackball is. My actuall qualm is how my right thumb is not able to hit certain button without causing pain in my wrist. I know it sounds funny but go check on out and you'll see what I mean. Typing long emails can be a pain just because of the design.

4. The trackball is nice, I like it better then my old TYTN II dpad which I loved. It takes a little getting used to but it's still very usable. I find myself using all the amenities provided by the buttons.

5. Usage is kind of like using a WM smartphone with a touchscreen. No I did not mean it's like WM prof. Seriously, It reminds me of messing around on my Mitac Mio 89** and Tmobile Dash but with the ability to touch the screen. Which is something I've wished someone had done a long time ago on a phone I'd actually buy. ;P

6. Market place is decent and the first few apps are nice. I'd still like to see more apps come out on a regular basis.

7. There is no SIM toolkit. for those of you like myself who have to back up contacts to the SIM all the time you're going to be stuck until someone makes an app for it. Luckily it's all backed up on the web on your GMAIL account.

8. Battery life is pretty bad. I can make the battery do a nose dive surfing the web for a straight hour or two. The TYTN II was a beast. I could do that and still have 3/4 of my battery left. I heard somewhere there is going to be a Firmware or software update to address some issues. As of now my Rom is still #RC19. If I get an OTA update I'll let everyone know.

If I had more time I'd get more indepth but I"m pretty sure you'll get the gist. Going from a TYTN II to the G1 I'm failry happy with my decision. It's a little lack luster in the apps, but I"m pretty sure it'll get better. My friend who is now using my TYTN II thought the phone was pretty nice, he and I are pretty hardcore WM fans. Google needs a little more time but they definately have a user.

My take is if you're still hesitant don't buy the phone just yet wait until the bugs are worked out first. If you are like me and you want the stuff before it comes out, I think you might be a little diappointed in some places and pleasantly suprised in others. ;)

Edited by Ghost_1

• 1 month later...