Custom ROM: MoDaCo DTHJ9-MCR03 - Last update 03/11/08

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest samjuan
Why are you installing apps to the device itself anyway (aside from the core stuff)?

P

Hi Paul,

why do we have to install anything "core or not core" on the phone memory anyway since we have this huge 16GB? why do we have to squeeze our selves in a tiny room while we are living in a big mansion! I know that this is how windows works, but can't you do anything about it in these custom roms? and make the 16GB more usable? can't you install anything that can be put on the 16GB on it from the beginning? is it even possible while flashing? I'm just wondering...

p.s. can we use the 16GB like the PC Hard-disk and the phone memory like the DDR memory?

p.s.2. those are a lot of questions! :lol: but I'm sure someone somewhere is thinking the same way!!!

p.s.3. Thanks Paul for your extraordinary work, thanks to you and everyone else who helped you in this.

Guest Paul (MVP)

I install some stuff on the device itself, as My Storage seems to disappear when the phone is in standby, which could definitely adversely affect some applications... :lol:

For the 'MCR01' I simply hexedited the CSC :D

P

I install some stuff on the device itself, as My Storage seems to disappear when the phone is in standby, which could definitely adversely affect some applications... :D

For the 'MCR01' I simply hexedited the CSC ;)

P

Can you remove opera in the next version? I would like put it in my storage with a cab, so we can save storage in main memory :o

Thank you for your work! :lol:

Why are you installing apps to the device itself anyway (aside from the core stuff)?

P

Well, I probably don't need to, but some of the apps have a tendency to crash when installed to the flash drive memory. TT7 for example is not overly reliable on storage... Maybe I should install all on "my storage".

Guest samjuan
Internal memory is faster :lol:

You are right, but I am not saying storage card for running the applications, but only for the installation, when the application is running, it will be loaded into the main memory just like a normal PC... however the actual application installation location should be in the storage card! ... am I understanding this incorrectly or not?

anyhow... Paul. is there a way that we can make the My Storage not go into standby when the phone sleeps? so we can use it better?

At least let's try it and see how it affects the battery life... what do you think...?

Guest Paul (MVP)
You are right, but I am not saying storage card for running the applications, but only for the installation, when the application is running, it will be loaded into the main memory just like a normal PC... however the actual application installation location should be in the storage card! ... am I understanding this incorrectly or not?

anyhow... Paul. is there a way that we can make the My Storage not go into standby when the phone sleeps? so we can use it better?

At least let's try it and see how it affects the battery life... what do you think...?

No, it doesn't necessarily work that way.

My Storage turning off I haven't really looked into yet...

P

Guest lastnikita
when the application is running, it will be loaded into the main memory

And this will be done faster if the app is installed in main storage :lol:

For many stuff you won't notice the difference, but for apps that need a fast response time (launcher) or are long to load (gps app) you will definitely notice it.

Additionnaly, if they need to be loaded even in mass storage mode (where my storage is not accessible by system), or during startup (where it may cause issues if my storage is not mounted yet), then you must install in main memory !

Anyway, now we will soon reach about 90/100mo free storage, it's not a problem anymore :D

Edited by lastnikita

Guest samjuan
And this will be done faster if the app is installed in main storage :lol:

For many stuff you won't notice the difference, but for apps that need a fast response time (launcher) or are long to load (gps app) you will definitely notice it.

Additionnaly, if they need to be loaded even in mass storage mode (where my storage is not accessible by system), or during startup (where it may cause issues if my storage is not mounted yet), then you must install in main memory !

Anyway, now we will soon reach about 90/100mo free storage, it's not a problem anymore :D

I understand completely where you're coming from, however I still think that the true use of the 16GB it not utilized yet! I have many applications installed on the storage and they load reasonably fine, actually I didn't FEEL much of a difference for the same application loading time, once on the internal memory and once on the "My Storage!" the only trouble that we have is the way windows mobile is looking "and practically handling" the My Storage memory "drivers?", we cannot install any realtime applications "or startup or...!" on it, and so on... I think this is something that should be looked at seriously since all of the new windows mobile devices now a days come with huge internal memory anyway! just a thought to make wm better...

Paul, thanks for taking the note, and appreciate your work... really.

Guest wkmmx500

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the cooked rom. I hope you will share some of your cooking insights to the community here, so we might give it a try ourselves. I"ve been messing around with the 2 kitchens over the last few days, but am still to much of a NOOB to get to something usable.

Installed your modified rom. Similar as with the original HJ5 (that I installed yesterday) I had 1 time a GWES.EXE error and twice a windows error for which it wanted to send a dump to ms. I looked at one of those dumps but couldn't make anything out of it. So far I have not been able to trace what's causing it. I never had these errors in any of the roms I tried before and my software set is pretty stable. And it seems to happen while loading all the applications - once I was done with the installation of everything no more errors have occurred - strange.

I have not yet seen the "cannot execute repllog.exe" error with your rom (which occurred several times yesterday and today with the "normal" HJ5).

For the rest eveything seems to be working fine.

Since I use wktask with it's battery indicator, I'm not so keen on the installed batti application, but I managed to switch it off. Wouldn't mind if that one is not there in your next version (-; .

As to the memory/storage card/my storage discussion....

- when I 1st got my Omnia I tried to use My Storage for programs as well. But the speed is significantly slower then internal memory or even the storage card (Sandisk 8Gb).

- I'm now installing the core applications in memory and everything else on the storage card. Works perfect. And I don't notice a speed difference between in memory installed or storage card installed.

- My Storage is used for pictures, audio, podcast and video files and nothing else. And of course I only use half of it so far. Reloading after a rom upgrade is a pain (takes ages).

- I agree that Samsung (or maybe MSoft) should have figured out a smarter way of using all of that storage.

P.s I have a 16gb Omnia imported from Singapore (actually from Expansys but when it arrived it turned out to be a Singapore version).

Waiting for the next cooked rom... (-: keeo them coming!

Guest Pille69
MCR01-1.jpgMCR01-2.jpg

So the work begins on my custom Omnia ROMs, which will show in 'Version' with version numbers starting MCR (= MoDaCo Custom ROM)...

This is the first proper custom ROM, based on DTHJ5. As such, I only recommend flashing if you want to be a tester and help me refine what's in / out and how it's set up for future ROMs.

Changes from DTHJ5:

- Removed Windows Update

- Removed Welcome Center

- Removed MS Sample Music

- Removed .net CF 2.0

- Removed Chinese fonts (sunfon.ac3)

- Removed SilverInbox

- Removed Shozu

- Added .net CF 3.5

- Added Remote Desktop Mobile

- Added AppToDate

- Added Batti 2.4

- Optimised Samsung applications

- Optimised OneNote

- Optimised Office

- Customised version display (MoDaCo Custom ROM 1 = MCR01)

For NEXT version:

- Re-add scientific calculator

- Add MoDaCo to default RSS list

- Performance enhancements

- OmniaSUITE (OmniaSIP v3 and OmniaTHREAD)

Known issues:

None as yet :D

Update format:

- Executable for Windows XP... ensure you have the Samsung Modem Driver installed before use!

Included:

- DXHJ5/MCR01 PDA / CSC

- XXHJ1 Radio

Stats after fresh boot:

Storage Memory: 105.03MB total, 72.65MB free

Program Memory: 97.27MB, 57.82 free

Feedback welcome :lol:

I know lots of people are waiting for a 'clean ROM', but I'm not sure there's a huge amount of benefit. I removed Shozu as it was running at boot, most of the other stuff just sits there until you need it... and we're not exactly short of space are we? ;)

Hats off to everyone who made this possible, secany, mrtoto, the PDAMobiz peeps and anyone else i've left out :o

P

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4zelynmtxzt

can you send me plz a link for the chinese version

which i need to install that i get 105 mb of ram

thx

suggestion

- remove samsung themes

- remove opera (newer version is available and should be installed on the 16 memory)

- remove google launcher and google maps

- remove digital frame

- remove help

- remove main menu

- remove podcast

- remove rss reader (can read whit outlook)

- remove smart reader / converter

- remove taskswitcher

- remove all unnecessary languages

- add a proper taskmanager (as example tkman)

- add registry editor

i think that will be a clean rom. all other thinks should install everybody individually

what you think

thx

suggestion

- remove samsung themes

- remove opera (newer version is available and should be installed on the 16 memory)

- remove digital frame

- remove help

- remove main menu

- remove podcast

- remove taskswitcher

- add registry editor

i think that will be a clean rom. all other thinks should install everybody individually

what you think

+1

thx

suggestion

- remove samsung themes

- remove digital frame

- remove help

- remove main menu

- remove podcast

- remove taskswitcher

- add registry editor

what you think

+2

Guest Paul (MVP)

Let's be a bit sensible though, there's is absolutely no point removing file explorer, it's :lol:

I'm pretty flat out this week, maybe next week i'll look at doing something...

P

Guest fenomeno83
Let's be a bit sensible though, there's is absolutely no point removing file explorer, it's <30k!

Making Opera a CAB seems sensible, ditto many of the other Samsung apps I guess, but it's not as easy as it sounds... :lol:

I'm pretty flat out this week, maybe next week i'll look at doing something...

P

but touchplayer yes :D

While there are not too many changes, I would say that this is the best ROM to day from my point of view.

Thanks to Paul and Secany.

My personal bias/wishlist:

These three may not be "known", so I don't imagine that I will see them soon.

- #1 would be 3G bands from I900L. Too back these don't exist yet to my knowledge :|

- #2 would be a windows CE upgrade. This is probably a big

- #3 would be to unlock Rom files so that I can replace or delete them.

- A Manilla ROM would be nice. Mainly because it is a pain to setup and it seems like the custom Manilla ROM's are a little more seamless than the set up versions.

- Having said that, I can't honestly say that it is any better than Mobile Shell.

- Not a big fan of Batti. I prefer something a little lighter weight. However, I'll give it a shot to see if I like it more.

- More free memory on device. Everyone will want you to remove various apps, so this may be difficult. Cabs are always the ideal for me but I recognise that this takes work.

Anyway, thanks so much my for what you have provided!