The official HTC Dream / T-Mobile G1 'Ask Tony' thread

Guest acbanks

Guest acbanks

Finally, it arrived at my house! This is the first ever Android powered device. It's manufactured by HTC, and is offered through T-Mobile USA as the 'G1'

As Paul has done in the past, this is your all access pass to the G1! Ask as many questions as you might have and I'll do my very best to answer them!

As a recap, the G1 includes the following specs:

- Android OS
- 3.2" HVGA (320x480) capacitive touch screen
- Quad Band GSM
- Dual Band HSDPA/HSUPA (First HSDPA smartphone on T-Mobile USA's 3G network)
- 256MB ROM / 192MB RAM
- aGPS
- 802.11b/g wifi
- Bluetooth 2.0+ EDR
- Full five row qwerty keyboard
- 3.2MP Camera with autofocus
- 55.7 x 117.7 x 17.1 mm
- 158g

The T-Mobile G1 is currently being sold in the states for a reasonable $400 (£ 237) retail. I'll be back in a bit to give you guys some more of my own thoughts in regards to the device, but until then, ask and ye shall receive! Edited by acbanks

Guest the main moon

What, no nipple in the unboxing vid? I'm disappointed to say the least, brotha.

Here's what I need to know: where can I get my tones? It's nice and all that you can stream zedge.net's material, but as far as saving the tones, my G1 and I aren't seeing eye-to-eye.

Get at me, bruh...

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Tony,

I've got a question for you, not completely G1 related though

How does it work in the US in regards to getting a subsidized phone like the G1?

In the past someone could walk in the Apple store but a iphone go home and activate it (which required you to sign up for the subscription)

now Apple changed this, you need to signup in the store.

But is Apple the only one with this policy or do all the operators work like this?

Thanks

Guest acbanks
Hey Tony,

I've got a question for you, not completely G1 related though

How does it work in the US in regards to getting a subsidized phone like the G1?

In the past someone could walk in the Apple store but a iphone go home and activate it (which required you to sign up for the subscription)

now Apple changed this, you need to signup in the store.

But is Apple the only one with this policy or do all the operators work like this?

Thanks

Here's how it works in the U.S.:

Carriers have either a 1 or 2 year subsidized price for every phone, and then they have a "retail" full price for the phone. Here's where it gets interesting.... if you're in the middle of your contract and not eligible for the full upgrade, most carriers give you a "partial discount" for upgrading. Also, paying "retail" doesn't mean that the phone will be unlocked necessarily, it just means that you won't have to sign a contract. In fact, I don't know any carriers that sell unlocked phones here in the states, although t-mobile is great about unlocking their phones for good-standing customers. If you want an unlocked phone you would need to go to ebay, craigslist or bestbuy (but they're overpriced imo).

As far as activating a phone, I don't know of any phone that requires activation similar to an iphone, unless it's CDMA. When GSM phones are purchased in the store they are already active, and I can just pop my SIM card into the new phone and go. This is true for GSM phone purchased from the carrier website as well. Since CDMA phones have to be programmed, they require an activation in the store, I believe.

Hope this helps B)

Guest acbanks
Does the US G1 work with european 3G?

The phone specs show UMTS 1700 and 2100... and europe operates on the 2100mHz band, correct? If so, I would say that they just created ONE phone that works on TMobile's US 1700, and Europe's 2100.

• 1 month later...