As with real cooking, different people have different ways of doing things, so this is the way I prefer to do it.
Edit: Before starting, please make sure you have the latest framework installed, you can get it here, if not the tools will not function properly and errors will occur.
- First get either a .exe updater or PDA.bin (rename if you must) file and dump it in the root directory. Drag and drop either the .exe to extractrom_exe or PDA.bin to extractrom_bin
- If you used a .exe updater, the eboot, csc and phone .bin files will be extracted out, you need these files for later, when repacking the .exe installer.
- Once extracting is done, there will be OEM/SYS folders and a new XIP folder in ROM.
- You should see these folders in OEM (left) and SYS (right)
- These are the apps found in OEM/OEMApps. Open the .rgu which contains registry settings in Notepad. As an example, if you delete the file secst.dll in the OEMApps folder, then you must delete the entry in the .rgu too.
- Another example... After you delete an app and rgu entries, go to initflashfiles.dat in OEM/OEM_Lang_0409 and search for more references to the files.
- After removing files, you will need to add your own custom apps in the form of packages, if you do a search on them, there will many tutorials on that. I am not going into it as it is pretty standard stuff.
- Once you're happy with removing and adding your customisations, it is time to build your ROM. Go back to the root directory and drag OS.nb to BuildROM. Click the green play button and you're on your way.
- Once that's done, you will have a NewROM.bin file which you must rename to PDA.bin. Remember the csc, eboot and phone files earlier, it must all be in the same directory. (I prefer to create a new directory for this)
- Open your command prompt and start packing your new ROM. Once all files are packed, you will have your new updater which you run to update your device. As usual, make sure you have proper modem drivers installed.
That's pretty much it, the hard part would be during customisation where you have to make sure all references to the app you wish to remove are properly deleted. When there are duplicated files or registry entries, it will throw you an error during building, so watch out for that.
If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to ask and I will try to answer them when I can.
Edited by PaSSoA, 24 October 2008 - 06:22 PM.