Xperia X1 released!

Guest fuzzmo

You can head over to Vodafone online and do a search for the Xperia - taking orders now for delivery in the next few days. Lucky Vodafone customers have already ordered their upgrades for delivery tomorrow!

You can get the handset on O2 through mobiles.co.uk.

If all you care about is colour then Vodafone do it in Black and O2 in Silver only.

CarphoneWarehouse have also got it in stock but may be out of stock by the time you read this!

I am being very sensible and am waiting. Orange are getting the Touch HD so I might wait and see how that pans out - if not then i'll get an Xperia when the dust has settled :lol:

Happy hunting and good luck all!

Guest timking

Finally! Now just need to choose a tarriff and it's bye bye Orange, hello Vodafone! Just in case I can resist buying in the next hour, what are peoples thoughts on best tariff? Was tempted by the 45 quid one with 900 mins, unlimited texts, mobile net etc. I can't see anything similar on Orange, what about the others?

Edited by timking

Finally! Now just need to choose a tarriff and it's bye bye Orange, hello Vodafone! Just in case I can resist buying in the next hour, what are peoples thoughts on best tariff? Was tempted by the 45 quid one with 900 mins, unlimited texts, mobile net etc. I can't see anything similar on Orange, what about the others?

I *almost* got one last night. However I get more than that on my current Orange tarriff for only £35 a month (back when they liked their customers :lol:). I am more interested in their data packages but to get the phone on a decent price with data i'd have to pay £50 a month!

Check out mobiles.co.uk and their O2 tarrifs? At the moment that is all there is in comparison. Although you could ring up Voda direct - more chance of haggling with them (and given you are a new customer they may be particularly amenable).

Again I am tempted but i'll wait for things to settle down - by the end of November I should either have a X1 or a Touch HD (or they'll both be out of stock!)

Guest andrewkeith5

i'm going to pop into the vodafone shop thati know has one later today to see what the branding is like...i don't know but my first impressions of the build quality was somehow odd...probably just me though

This is really for timking but Orange ARE doing it - but through CPW and the SE store. Popped in to my local SE store and they are doing it for free on Orange via the £45 tarrif. They were meant to be getting stock today but the driver went 'missing' lol!

Anyway the benefit of getting it with them is an unbranded and unlocked phone. They are allied to CPW so I guess it makes no difference where you get it from. The funny thing is you probably couldn't get it from Orange for a while yet.

I might go for it as I had another look at the iPhone for a size comparison and it feels just too big in the hands....

Well I went for it. Terminated my contract on Orange to get my contract on.... Orange! Went to CPW in Ken High Street, went through the rigmarole of details etc. then was told they could not do it on Orange as an upgrade!!! In disgust with Orange I asked for my PAC code. Checked the Tarrifs around and found that the Panther 45 on Orange was the best one around!

So I bit the bullet and got it through CPW. I am gonna phone Orange and ask my number to be turned into PAYG as I have realised there might be some people trying to contact me with that number after next month who aren't on my address list....

The phone for me is the right size. Slightly less chunky than my N95 but with a better screen and WinMo :lol: I was really thinking about the Touch HD which is a fantastic device but I just can't see myself popping that into my jeans pocket whilst going out on a Friday night lash (missus permitting of course!). The X1 I can see myself doing just that and it still 'looks' like and feels like a phone which is important to me.

Looking back I could have done this with the Omnia (which is also great) but I think I got the right one....

Will give more info when I receive it (hopefully tomorrow!)...

Guest timking

Hmmm, interesting, cheers for the info fuzzmo. Ordered, then got told on Sunday they were out of stock. Great. Wait of 7-10 days they say, but will see what else I can find in that time. May give Orange one last try for keeping my business! If they have it on their upgrades list, then may go for them, though what are their data plans like like? Would be after similar to the Vodafone 45 quid one, with anything over 500 mins calls, unlimited texts/data for under 50 a month?

Edited by timking

Hmmm, interesting, cheers for the info fuzzmo. Ordered, then got told on Sunday they were out of stock. Great. Wait of 7-10 days they say, but will see what else I can find in that time. May give Orange one last try for keeping my business! If they have it on their upgrades list, then may go for them, though what are their data plans like like? Would be after similar to the Vodafone 45 quid one, with anything over 500 mins calls, unlimited texts/data for under 50 a month?

Actually CPW did have a few in stock when I ordered over the phone on Monday. They send it for next day as well (CityLink mind). If you are in London then you can get it from their big store near Bond Street or go to Kensington High Street as they are rated as premium stores and hence are more likely to get stocks than other stores. Else you could go to the SE store in Kensington High Street also.

You will not be able to upgrade through Orange. CPW do it on Orange but not through as an upgrade. I decided to leave Orange and then found that their Tarrif was the best so went back to them on a new contract. Panther 45 which is 1200 mins, 400 Texts and a choice of unlimited Orange, Texts or Landline calls or 250mb anytime data plan. I went for the data.

Orange will be getting the phone but not yet (and nobody knows when). However I can guarantee you WILL get the same hassle upgrading as we did when trying to get an Omnia. When I asked for my PAC code they still said I would have to pay £200 for the phone! Lol! So in the end I realised I had to leave - only to come back as a new customer!

Benefit (if you don't mind losing your number) is that you get an unbranded and unlocked phone which takes out a lot of hassle. You can also try mobiles.co.uk which is doing it for free on a £40 Orange Tarrif. CPW will do upgrades on O2 if you are that way inclined. I found the Vodafone 'deals' to be quite poor - I would have had to pay £51.25 a month for a free phone, and I was getting far less minutes etc.

Guest timking
Actually CPW did have a few in stock when I ordered over the phone on Monday. They send it for next day as well (CityLink mind). If you are in London then you can get it from their big store near Bond Street or go to Kensington High Street as they are rated as premium stores and hence are more likely to get stocks than other stores. Else you could go to the SE store in Kensington High Street also.

You will not be able to upgrade through Orange. CPW do it on Orange but not through as an upgrade. I decided to leave Orange and then found that their Tarrif was the best so went back to them on a new contract. Panther 45 which is 1200 mins, 400 Texts and a choice of unlimited Orange, Texts or Landline calls or 250mb anytime data plan. I went for the data.

Orange will be getting the phone but not yet (and nobody knows when). However I can guarantee you WILL get the same hassle upgrading as we did when trying to get an Omnia. When I asked for my PAC code they still said I would have to pay £200 for the phone! Lol! So in the end I realised I had to leave - only to come back as a new customer!

Benefit (if you don't mind losing your number) is that you get an unbranded and unlocked phone which takes out a lot of hassle. You can also try mobiles.co.uk which is doing it for free on a £40 Orange Tarrif. CPW will do upgrades on O2 if you are that way inclined. I found the Vodafone 'deals' to be quite poor - I would have had to pay £51.25 a month for a free phone, and I was getting far less minutes etc.

Good info, cheers that that :lol: Just been checking out the Orange side of things on mobiles.co.uk (Dolphin 40 : 750 mins Any Network Anytime + Unlimited Texts + Unlimited Evening & Weekend Mobile Internet Browsing). Better than the Vodafone one that. Not sure which would be better, are they much of a muchness? If the Orange one is worthwhile, I'll be cancelling my Vodafone order and ordering from mobiles.co.uk if they have stock, then getting on the phone to the woman in the Chief Execs office who's handling my complaints in order to get my number switched over for free and see if they can drop the tariff with free insurance once I'm signed up :D

Talk about hassle, all I want is a shiny new phone ;)

Guest Gorskar

Its highly irritating how networks are unwilling to offer the same deals for upgrades as for new customers. The last time I wanted to upgrade my phone, but stay with t-mobile, and of course they wouldn't match the new-customer offer.

So I got my PAC code, moved it to a virgin PAYG sim, then phoned virgin and got another PAC code and moved it back to t-mob as a new contract. Took about a weeks worth of messing around, but I got to keep my number, and get the new customer offer. That strategy works for any network by the way...

This time I'll probably just move to Vodafone on the £35/month tariff which includes 700 mins, 250 texts, free landline calls and "unlimited" (=500Mb/m) Internet. The phone costs £150 on this tarrif, but you can get £90 back from quidco.

02 do a similar (slightly better) tariff at a much cheaper phone-cost, ie for £35/month you can have, 600mins, 1000texts and a free bolt-on (which I'd choose the "unlimited" Web), but unfortunately you cant choose the bolt on via the mobiles.co.uk site (as per the modaco affiliate link)- you have to take unlimited texts, and as they are currently the only place selling it via 02 I'm thinking I'll have to go for voda, as I need my web!

Depends on where you are. I used to have a work Vodafone and my personal Orange phone and in Kew (where my ex lives) initially the Vodafone got the best reception. Now it's completely changed and Orange gets full bars there (notoriously difficult area for reception).

I found mobile browsing to be quicker on Vodafone although that being said I connect to HSDPA nearly everytime with the Xperia although I do live in West London. Not much to choose between the two which is why it came down to the deals on offer. Although I preferred the black Xperia the fact that the one from CPW was unbranded and unlocked (There are already annoying customisations with Voda X1s - check xda-developers for threads on that) sealed the deal for me.

Apart from CS being complete ***** these last two months, Orange have been a very reliable network for me so in that sense I was happy to stay.

I found Vodas treatment of their upgrade customers interesting to say the least. All their upgrade customers were contacted when the X1 came into stock prior to retail. In other words they gave good deals to their customers (free phone on contracts ranging from £35 - £45 p/m). I noted that these deals were nowehere near what they were offering new customers i.e. new ones had to pay more. Only Orange (in these last two months) seems to be treating their current customers with contempt.

O2 is no go as their 3G network is pants!

then getting on the phone to the woman in the Chief Execs office who's handling my complaints in order to get my number switched over for free and see if they can drop the tariff with free insurance once I'm signed up :lol:

Talk about hassle, all I want is a shiny new phone ;)

Lol - quite. :o Hmmm if she manages to do that for you I wonder if you could put in a word for me as well? :D

As I said in the other post Voda crap plus worse deal against losing my number, but getting better deal and unlocked & unbranded phone! (networks are about the same)

Guest timking
Lol - quite. :D Hmmm if she manages to do that for you I wonder if you could put in a word for me as well? :lol:

As I said in the other post Voda crap plus worse deal against losing my number, but getting better deal and unlocked & unbranded phone! (networks are about the same)

I'll get my thinking cap on tomorrow morning and work all this out, really not sure whether to stay with my Voda order and hopefully get one early next weel, or go through CPW (though they only list doing it on O2?). Realised Orange isn't free in the day data wise, so that's them out of the equation sadly as I'll be using it for a lot of work testing. Will decide over a breakfast sarnie tomorrow ;)

Edited by timking

I'll get my thinking cap on tomorrow morning and work all this out, really not sure whether to stay with my Voda order and hopefully get one early next weel, or go through CPW (though they only list doing it on O2?). Realised Orange isn't free in the day data wise, so that's them out of the equation sadly as I'll be using it for a lot of work testing. Will decide over a breakfast sarnie tomorrow :D

CPW definitely doing it on Orange - as that is how I got mine! Ask instore or phone them - the website isn't updated. Panther 45 data bolt on is 250mb anytime browsing so that should include daytime browsing (and if not then there are serious words to be had like false advertising!) Enjoy your sarnie - you'll be ok with either I reckon :lol: