It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
All live components are there...

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

bsp120167

bsp120167

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Devices:ATT Tilt
Hi Paul

Do you think the lack of a g-sensor is a big factor with the X1? I think I am sold on this device over the Touch Pro but I am concerned that when WM7 launches it will require a g-sensor for screen rotation.

Other than games is there anything you would be missing out on?

Thoughts?

Device: AT&T Fuze
RRE 6.5 Series 6 23028 V8.4 no manila
Radio: 1.14.25.35

Ovie

Ovie

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:Music, PPC Phones - I am pretty much obsessed, CRICKET.
  • Devices:HTC Touch HD

Hi Paul

Do you think the lack of a g-sensor is a big factor with the X1? I think I am sold on this device over the Touch Pro but I am concerned that when WM7 launches it will require a g-sensor for screen rotation.

Other than games is there anything you would be missing out on?

Thoughts?

Well, apparently WM7 is going to use gestures, e.g. if you shake the device it will wake up...that kinda thing. I'd imagine that would required a G sensor, although I've read they might use the camera too.

If you want WM7, I'd recommend not to get the X1.

Posted Image

schaggo

schaggo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Devices:HTC Polaris
I cant imagine any recent Windows Mobile-powered smartphone receiving an upgrade to WM7. Somehow none and I really mean none of them fits the image I have of WM7.
In that presentation found in the web earlier this year it was stated that WM7 apparently uses the camera or an infrared sensor for the movement/gesture based controls and is absolutely not dependant on any motion/acceleration/g-sensor.
There is no knowledge available on what hardware WM7 needs, seeing what they are working on I can imagine its going to be similar-ish to the XP-Vista situation when Vista was launched: the most recent hardware today wont be enough, its going to require at least the hardware available at the launch date or the hardware of the near future. This is in no way based on facts, this is only my oppinion I pieced together.
But I think its silly talking of WM7 when nobody knows anything about it, not even a release date, which will probably be 2010, when the X1 will be seriously outdated anyway.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
I don't expect devices to get WM7 upgrades either...

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

FutureDirt

FutureDirt

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts
Been playing with the x1 myself for about a week now.

Cant say that it has persuaded me to part with my Omnia.

If i were to want a hardware qwerty keyboard though... id probably pick the X1 over the touch pro. I say probably because the lack of accelerometer IS quite big factor for me now.

Coolhorn

Coolhorn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Devices:T-Mobile G1, HTC S710 (VOX)

The X1A will, the X1i doesn't. You will be looked after on T-Mo US... B)

P

I'm not sure who your sources are Paul, but alas, it appears that the X1a will NOT be including 3G support of the 1700 band after all...and you had my hopes up for the last 2 weeks! B) Oh well, we poor T-Mobile customers are left out again...

I just can't figure out why SE is bothering to market a "factory unlocked" phone when it will only work with the 3G network of one US cellular provider! $800 is an awful lot to spend on something that won't work on anything but Edge or Wi-fi for T-Mobile...I can't believe they are leaving out half of all US GSM subscribers. B)

I love my G1 in a lot of ways, but am finding myself missing a lot of things from WinMo...menus, file organization, predictive text, etc. Hopefully they'll be adding enough things to android in the near future to keep my interest...visual voicemail, Exchange support, virtual keyboard, etc.

Although the price of the G1 certainly helps make up for the lack of certain features thus far...

Edited by Coolhorn, 13 November 2008 - 06:21 AM.

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
That's insane! I've been led to believe all along that 1700MHz support would be in there!

Grrr, how silly...

P

Posted Image

chrisash32

chrisash32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Devices:SPV C500

That's insane! I've been led to believe all along that 1700MHz support would be in there!

Grrr, how silly...

P

I am an O2 customer is the UK, and i am looking to upgrade from my Kaiser to this. One question as i see you mentioning 3G etc etc, will this device support HSDPA??

Cheer

Chris

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,345 posts
Yes it does...

P

Posted Image

squilla

squilla

Learning all the time!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Devices:Ameo
Well I'm really excited, this review has sold it to me! I have just ordered mine from Vodafone, I'm sad to say bye bye to T-Mobile for now but quite happy to get rid of my Ameo, it will be great to have a phone I can use as a phone at long last!

Yeah!

XDA Exec, Ameo, Experia X1

unique_v1rus

unique_v1rus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi paul, if there any chance to make cabs with x1 interface look like for omnia? i mean just like Manila2D for HTC touch flo look like (i've tried it on my omnia, kinda great stuff).. it would be amazing if X1 UI can be instaled in omnia.. i've saw the x1 ad, the UI animations look fantastic B) thx

squilla

squilla

Learning all the time!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Devices:Ameo
So far Im lovong this phone, its far smaller than I am used to and im finding the keyboard fiddly but thats because ive had an Ameo and Universal for so long now. I only have one gripe with this phone, there is no '?' on the keyboard, I find that odd.

The build quality is lovely, as Paul has mentioned the slide on the keyboard is great, the phone feels solid, the screen is fantastic and the phone runs really quick too, thats the phone operation and the internet on GPRS (running on 2 bars in my house).

It took me a bit to get used to the joystick, once I thought of it like a mouse rather than a button I got on with it well. The X panel threw me a bit as i'm so used to the windows homescreen but having lived with it a day I love it! The camera is far better quality than I have seen on other WM devices.

All in all this phone gets a thumbs up from me, it has what I want, a sliding QWERTY keyboard, runs quick, has WM6 and at last I have a phone I can use as a phone! Im not getting rid of my Ameo though, I still love it. :-)

XDA Exec, Ameo, Experia X1

unique_v1rus

unique_v1rus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

The camera is far better quality than I have seen on other WM devices

comparing with 5mp omnia?

squilla

squilla

Learning all the time!

• Members