ROM Upgrade - driving me mad!!!

Guest hapless

Guest hapless

Right then,

firstly, evening all!

Now then, got me Omnia from fleabay, good price and everything seems pukka.

Current version is

PDA : i900XXHHD/ACHH3

Phone : i900BUHH2

So it's a Vodafone UK jobbie.

Posted the other day about which firmware to move to, and I see the latest is DTJH6.

I have now downloaded 5 different roms - Paul's latest cooked MCR02, DTJH6, DXHJ1, DXHI3 and M2D01_PaS08.

All of them fail on me, I get:

No PDA Device Found ... close device

PDA Device not found.

I have followed everyone's (and yes, I have the Samsung driver installed, running XP) instructions - the only thing I haven't done is the GrandPrix bit, as from what I can see the new firmwares render this step redundant?

So, can someone give me a hint as to what on earth I'm doing wrong?!!!!

Normally, sail through things like this and now spent most of the day trying to get this thing going!

Please tell me it's something obvious so I can beat myself up over it!!!

Ta in advance,

hapless

Edited by hapless

Guest somedude
Right then,

firstly, evening all!

Current version is

Posted the other day about which firmware to move to, and I see the latest is DTJH6.

I have now downloaded 5 different roms - Paul's latest cooked MCR02, DTJH6, DXHJ1, DXHI3 and M2D01_PaS08.

PDA Device not found.

I have followed everyone's (and yes, I have the Samsung driver installed, running XP) instructions - the only thing I haven't done is the GrandPrix bit, as from what I can see the new firmwares render this step redundant?

Normally, sail through things like this and now spent most of the day trying to get this thing going!

Ta in advance,

hapless

whew, glad im not the only one having this problem. I thought it was just me!

http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...d-close-device/

Someone out there has to know the solution to this. Im sure were not the only two to run into this problem.

whew, glad im not the only one having this problem. I thought it was just me!

http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...d-close-device/

Someone out there has to know the solution to this. Im sure were not the only two to run into this problem.

Just a quick one, do you have Activesync installed on your XP machine (and tested that your Omnia can synchronise with your PC). Only asking as I had trouble the first time I updated my Omnia - kept failing to detect my device. Only to remember I hadn't installed Activesync! You probably do have it installed after all, just a thought :lol:

first of, are u using XP on a virtual machine (like vmware) or normal installation of xp? if u are using vmware, make vmware full screen then try to upgrade the rom

try to hard reset the phone before ugrading: turn off the phone, turn back on, then immediately when Samsung logo appears, press both Call and End buttons

and finally try the Incorrect Version Fix (might help), procedure in this thread:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-omnia-r...re-version-fix/

BEWARE the incorrect version fix ALSO formats the My Storage (8GB/16GB) without warning or confirmation, nobody mentioned that and I lost few stuff i had in there but anyways...

If none of these work, I cant figure out why the upgrader cant find your phone :/ maybe someone else knows more.

BTW does activesync find your phone normally? are u able to browse the files etc?

Guest somedude
Just a quick one, do you have Activesync installed on your XP machine (and tested that your Omnia can synchronise with your PC). Only asking as I had trouble the first time I updated my Omnia - kept failing to detect my device. Only to remember I hadn't installed Activesync! You probably do have it installed after all, just a thought :lol:

i have activesync installed on my vmware xp virtual machine. Ive tried the incorrect version fix method too. Still nothing worked for me. Thanks anyways

Guest hapless

Morning all,

quick reply as on my way to work!

Right then, XP Home, ActiveSync 4.5.0, nothing virtual about it, phone battery full, done hard resets, Incorrect version comes back as unknown command, transferred files over and back again no problem, had a nice cup of tea and still no joy!

Will look back in after work, inbetween stripping the bathroom and shouting at the kids :lol:

Keep it coming guys, someone must know what I need to do!

Cheers

Morning all,

Right then, XP Home, ActiveSync 4.5.0, nothing virtual about it, phone battery full, done hard resets, Incorrect version comes back as unknown command, transferred files over and back again no problem, had a nice cup of tea and still no joy!

Will look back in after work, inbetween stripping the bathroom and shouting at the kids :lol:

Cheers

Just to confirm the steps you are taking to run the ROM upgrade (this is how it should be done):

1, Run the ROM update .exe file on your PC (ensure your phone is disconnected from the PC before you do this)

2, When the update window appears on your PC, connect your phone to USB then immediately hit the reset pin

3, The update program (should) detect your phone allowing you to click the button to begin.

Other things that could possibly affect it (though unlikely) are software firewalls - try shutting it down and see if that makes any difference.

Guest Hydroxpert

hmm for me the reset pin does not work. instead i manually power off the phone and power it on. it will then display that the phone has been detected and will allow you to click the button...

Morning all,

Cheers

"Incorrect version comes back as unknown command"

This is weird o.O because AFAIK this *#81230*# is actually a shortcut for the Admin.exe program which resides in \Windows folder try browsing directly in \Windows folder and finding/executing Admin.exe. If this application is missing then, something is wrong with your omnia firmware

Guest hapless
"Incorrect version comes back as unknown command"

This is weird o.O because AFAIK this *#81230*# is actually a shortcut for the Admin.exe program which resides in \Windows folder try browsing directly in \Windows folder and finding/executing Admin.exe. If this application is missing then, something is wrong with your omnia firmware

Now then, had a looksee in that thar \Windows folder and found diddly called admin :lol:

I have looked visually and done a search for just the term "admin", - the only reference is to a help file for synching Microshaft LookOut.

Just to re-iterate, I am not doing anything virtual. This is a genuine licenced XP Home installation, the omnia connected via USB using it's supplied cable that works fine for activesync, data transfer.

Can any other Vodafone owners confirm/deny the existance of the admin exe?

Thanks again for everyone's help, keep plugging away, we'll get there!!!!

hapless

Guest hapless
Thanks again for everyone's help, keep plugging away, we'll get there!!!!

hapless

Hoooooooooraaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! :P :P :D :D

Who's the daddy now Voda 'kin fone!!! :lol: :D ;) :o

Now that's off my chest, you might have gathered that I have cracked the pearl that is getting a newer rom on the omnia!

For some, it is easy, others it is not so.

For me, I did it all on my old faithful slaptop in the end!

Dig it out from the mess that is my office, plug it in to old sparky and crank it into life, load up samsung modem driver, load up activesynch 4.5 (fresh from M$), reboot.

Run the exe,

restart omnia,

failed to catch, let the phone finish booting, restart again

and PDA found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Job done, currently running DXHI3 on both PDA and phone.

Let's see what happens next.

Stay tuned for the incredible adventures of Omnia ROM Updating trauma Man!!

Seriously though, wouldn't have got here without you folks, great resource and thanks to all for helpful suggestions.

And to close, I for one welcome our ROM updating overlords :D

Cheers all,

hapless

Guest somedude
Hoooooooooraaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! :P :P :D :D

Who's the daddy now Voda 'kin fone!!! :lol: :D ;) :o

Now that's off my chest, you might have gathered that I have cracked the pearl that is getting a newer rom on the omnia!

For some, it is easy, others it is not so.

For me, I did it all on my old faithful slaptop in the end!

Dig it out from the mess that is my office, plug it in to old sparky and crank it into life, load up samsung modem driver, load up activesynch 4.5 (fresh from M$), reboot.

Run the exe,

restart omnia,

failed to catch, let the phone finish booting, restart again

and PDA found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Job done, currently running DXHI3 on both PDA and phone.

Let's see what happens next.

Stay tuned for the incredible adventures of Omnia ROM Updating trauma Man!!

Seriously though, wouldn't have got here without you folks, great resource and thanks to all for helpful suggestions.

And to close, I for one welcome our ROM updating overlords :D

Cheers all,

hapless

congrats. still not working for me though :D.

Guest malbond
Right then,

firstly, evening all!

Current version is

PDA Device not found.

Ta in advance,

hapless

Guest hapless

As you can see from my post of 27th Oct, i have updated and am currently running Passoa's latest.

Takes about 10 minutes all told to flash, problem was my pc, don't know why but now flash always from laptop and everyone's happy!

So no more solutions required, as all sorted now :lol:

ta la