Orange exclusivity deal

Guest JTHM

Guest awarner (MVP)

Normally the "exclusive" deals run for about six months with the iphone being an exception.

SIM free from HTC may still be possible though, just not on contract I would guess.

Normally the "exclusive" deals run for about six months with the iphone being an exception.

SIM free from HTC may still be possible though, just not on contract I would guess.

Off-contract is preference - I've had enough of Orange removing functionality of the phones they offer in order to line their pockets ...culling BT file transfer capability (SPVs)4 for instance, or hiding the A-GPS settings even (wife's Samsung Omnia)! Why can't they leave alone!?

Guest awarner (MVP)

I have seen techdigest mention that this is a deal of only two months.

Orange has the exclusive until 2009, costing £79.99 on an 18-month, £40pm contract. Interestingly, it looks like Orange isn't prepared to let you loose on the mobile Internet just yet, despite the handset urging you to use it online, as the package only gives you 250MB of browsing per month, and no mention of free Wi-Fi hotspots. Disappointing.

Only 250MB a month for a £40PM contract? Come on Orange get real with data usage.

Guest robertc17

Only 250MB a month for a £40PM contract? Come on Orange get real with data usage.

Maybe I'm missing a piece of knowledge but Expansys are showing the Touch HD available on a T-Mobile tariff for £40 a month http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=175247 which has 1000 Minutes,1GB Data and I think unlimited texts.

So the phone is a little more than Orange are quoting but the package is way better, is there a down side to buy a phone this way?

Guest Eriktheviking

Hey, cant be as bad as the £2,666.74 bill i got from orange on my "unlimited usage" tariff. The woman on the phone couldnt understand tht unlimited means unlimited, she said there is a fair usage policy.... and couldnt get it into her head that if i go over the fair usage you cant just bill me for it, you have to warn me or cut my service off.

Guest awarner (MVP)

That's what the very small print is for, so they can sting you.

Try to explain unlimited and fair usage in the same sentence to someone who does not visit this site.

They can and do just charge, only the likes of 3mobile and I think Tmob stop service or warn etc

This looks like it will be my next phone, although the X1 with the TouchFlo/Panels combo looks pretty sweet.

However, wonder what the best way to get this will be?

Currently on TMob and due an upgrade (if they decide I am one of the customers they deign to upgrade). Don't care TOO much about staying with them, but do have the old W&W tariff and have friends and family discount so exceptionally good value. Will only upgrade to a 12 month contract though. Not too fussed about early adopting this time - but would want to get it in January.

However, if I chose to move away what do we reckon the best 12 month tariff with data is? Probably only need 200-300 minutes, 50 texts and 250 Mb data would actually be sufficient. However, Orange were SO bad last time I was with them I really would prefer not to go to them. O2 don't appear to do any 12 month tariffs so doesn't look like I have many options?

This would seem to be fine

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=175205

but bit of an effort to PAC to PAYG and back again, especially since I would lose my friends discount.

EDIT - BTW, its a bit weird seeing the same forums nested under different top level forums? I was in Android - Device - HTC - Blackstone initially, but switched back to Modaco. Any way to limit the Android forum to ONLY Android phones, etc?

Edited by Dr Who

Guest CPhoenix
This looks like it will be my next phone, although the X1 with the TouchFlo/Panels combo looks pretty sweet.

However, wonder what the best way to get this will be?

Currently on TMob and due an upgrade (if they decide I am one of the customers they deign to upgrade). Don't care TOO much about staying with them, but do have the old W&W tariff and have friends and family discount so exceptionally good value. Will only upgrade to a 12 month contract though. Not too fussed about early adopting this time - but would want to get it in January.

However, if I chose to move away what do we reckon the best 12 month tariff with data is? Probably only need 200-300 minutes, 50 texts and 250 Mb data would actually be sufficient. However, Orange were SO bad last time I was with them I really would prefer not to go to them. O2 don't appear to do any 12 month tariffs so doesn't look like I have many options?

This would seem to be fine

http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?partner=modaco&i=175205

but bit of an effort to PAC to PAYG and back again, especially since I would lose my friends discount.

EDIT - BTW, its a bit weird seeing the same forums nested under different top level forums? I was in Android - Device - HTC - Blackstone initially, but switched back to Modaco. Any way to limit the Android forum to ONLY Android phones, etc?

Hmmm looks tempting to go for the Expansys option. I'm already with T-mobile so I'll have to do the PAC switch too :lol:

I don't like how mobile companies are forcing the 18/24 month options, what with the rate of new phones are being brought into the market. (I've had my TytnII for just over 12 months and I'm really itching to get a new one, I can't think what it would be like being forced into a longer contract).

Does anyone know of any expansys discount codes to make this any more appealing?

Cheers

CP.

Edited by CPhoenix

Guest freekster

mobiles.co.uk are showing the Touch HD on Orange Racoon with 700 minutes, 100 texts and unlimited land lines for 35ppm on an 18month. No sign of a a data package though. Free next day delivery. The only data package visible on the list is free evening and weekend (250Mb) on a 40ppm 18 month. But no free land lines.

Am I missing something as O2 is also showing it on Mobiles.co.uk

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/o2-htc-touch-hd.html

And O2 seem to have fully unlimited with Fair Use - No 1 or 2 gig limits so long as its not commercial use.

£40 tarrif and free phone, it is 18 months though but still a great offer.

I'll be going for it, but I can never believe a phone company when they say unlimited, its the only reason I hesitate.

Guest Whitter

Anyone have any tips on how to get one of these babies before my contract runs out on the 19th (I cannot wait :D), that is if Orange start handing them out before then though :lol:.

Guest CPhoenix
Am I missing something as O2 is also showing it on Mobiles.co.uk

http://www.mobiles.co.uk/o2-htc-touch-hd.html

And O2 seem to have fully unlimited with Fair Use - No 1 or 2 gig limits so long as its not commercial use.

£40 tarrif and free phone, it is 18 months though but still a great offer.

I'll be going for it, but I can never believe a phone company when they say unlimited, its the only reason I hesitate.

I believe the O2 unlimited web bolt-on has a cap of 500mb, and a lower cap for services which are prohibited (such as IM, teathering, streaming etc).

I think the T-Mob offer is better 12mnt contract, £35p/m, £170 for the phone and 1GB cap.

I believe the O2 unlimited web bolt-on has a cap of 500mb, and a lower cap for services which are prohibited (such as IM, teathering, streaming etc).

I think the T-Mob offer is better 12mnt contract, £35p/m, £170 for the phone and 1GB cap.

I don't get this deal, it's very very good.

I've checked with O2 and have been told no Cap - It is unlimited however you are right about certain things being not allowed

Skype - or any type of IP-Phone data

P2P

Streaming of any kind, however the person I spoke to said that they turn a blind eye to BBCi and sometimes Audio streaming but if it is abused then a warning would be sent.

No Sharing of the data of any kind - This means not even allowed to loan phone to someone for them to check something on internet however she said it was impossible to enforce this rule, her quote was "Be sensible"

Again for IM services I was told blind eye turned. - advice was to not use skype messenger as they run reports each month looking for certain banned known to use up large amounts of bandwidth and competition URL's, Skype domain is on the list, as are certain protocols Torrent etc.

So its still looking good and I just can't justify the £170 over a free phone. (my credit is well and truly crunched)

I've checked with O2 and have been told no Cap - It is unlimited however you are right about certain things being not allowed

Skype - or any type of IP-Phone data

P2P

Streaming of any kind, however the person I spoke to said that they turn a blind eye to BBCi and sometimes Audio streaming but if it is abused then a warning would be sent.

No Sharing of the data of any kind - This means not even allowed to loan phone to someone for them to check something on internet however she said it was impossible to enforce this rule, her quote was "Be sensible"

Again for IM services I was told blind eye turned. - advice was to not use skype messenger as they run reports each month looking for certain banned known to use up large amounts of bandwidth and competition URL's, Skype domain is on the list, as are certain protocols Torrent etc.

So its still looking good and I just can't justify the £170 over a free phone. (my credit is well and truly crunched)

Cost of ownership ~£720 on O2, ~ £590 on TMob. Tmob one must be close to the SIM free price, the handset is not SIM locked and I would see it as buying the handset on credit for a 25% deposit. Not managed to work out the equivalent APR if we assume the handset is £490, guess it must be around 20% so the same as credit card charge, but you get free minutes, texts and data thrown in. If I didn't have the 50% F&F discount on TMob I would definitely be buying this now! Still tempted!

Cost of ownership ~£720 on O2, ~ £590 on TMob. Tmob one must be close to the SIM free price, the handset is not SIM locked and I would see it as buying the handset on credit for a 25% deposit. Not managed to work out the equivalent APR if we assume the handset is £490, guess it must be around 20% so the same as credit card charge, but you get free minutes, texts and data thrown in. If I didn't have the 50% F&F discount on TMob I would definitely be buying this now! Still tempted!

I work out the prices as £590 on T-Mobile and £630 on O2 and O2 is an 18 months contract so it actually works out cheaper.

O2 = 630

Tmob = 590

By this I mean that after your contract has ended you will still need a line on a Network.

e.g.

O2 (600 package) = 18x35 = 630

Tmob = 12 X 35 = 420(rental) and £170 phone = 590 Total

If O2 was 12 month then it would be only £420 total cost. - So what will you do once your Tmob contract has ended?. Will you be able to get another deal that over a 6 month period will charge less than £40.00 line rental for the same features.

£630.00 (O2 18 month price) minus £590.00 (TMob 12 monthPrice) = £40

All a little off topic but on topic I also think the orange deal is ok but needs a better data package.

All a little off topic but on topic I also think the orange deal is ok but needs a better data package.

Orange have been known to bend if you scream at retentions loud enough. Early diamond adopters were getting 500mb fair use.

• 2 weeks later...

As as long time customer of Orange (though with fairly low bills), I just called them and went for a new 18 month contract - not upgrade as such...

Panther 45 = 1200 mins, 500 texts, unlimited land line calls, 18 month contract for £40 per month.

handset price £50.

And as a deal breaker B) they upped the data usage to fully unlimited B) (1Gb per month)

total cost = £770, so I'm pretty happy with that as O2 and T-mob coverage is rubbish round here B)

Guest Terminal

Also a long time Orange customer, I rang them and told retentions Tmobile were offering 700 mins unlimited text and unlimited (1GB) data and they matched it plus added free insurance (I was paying £6pcm) for the princely sum of £22.50pcm B) Then paid £80 for HD on my card.

Guest Anfloyd
Orange have been known to bend if you scream at retentions loud enough. Early diamond adopters were getting 500mb fair use.

Managed to get the HD through Orange - 12months, £40pm, 850mins, 400txts, 200 Orange mins with 500mb data thrown in. Couldn't get them to drop the £49.99 for the handset though!

Guest Confucious

Looks like Orange are beginning to give some good deals - pity you have to throw your toys out of your pram to get them though!

If only they'd offer decent data plans to all there customers they might start getting back into the SmartPhone market which they so successfully created!

Guest awarner (MVP)

it's the same with Vodafone, if they had decent plans and data then I would go to them straight away.

Have transmitters at work so they are the only decent network reception wise.