Android... but not the G1

Guest psionandy

Guest psionandy

I like the android OS, well from what I've seen of it anyway. However I really don't like the T-mobile G1.

Now there should be a bucket load of other phones in the pipeline from other people, so what is comming soon? and from whom?

Guest Killian

I've spent hours researching this as I have the same thoughts. There is no information out there other than rumours and thats not surprising really. TMobile are hardly going to want to ruin the G1 by announcing an even bettter phone isn't far off. They'll most likely want to see what kind of reception it gets. There are other handsets in development though the most promising rumour I've heard is that the Touch HD will be ported to Android at some point in 09.

Mind you; as Android is open source and the code is now freely available, there's not really much to stop all phones being ported in the form of a rom flash.

I'm going to hang back and wait and see what develops before I upgrade. Am happy with my Vario III for a while longer :lol:

Guest Mysterious Stranger
I like the android OS, well from what I've seen of it anyway. However I really don't like the T-mobile G1.

Now there should be a bucket load of other phones in the pipeline from other people, so what is comming soon? and from whom?

See, I'm the other way, like the hardware formfactor ( slimmest keyboard HTC phone I've had) but the O.S kinda leaves me cold.

Any particular function / feature you like?

M.S

Guest psionandy
I've spent hours researching this as I have the same thoughts. There is no information out there other than rumours and thats not surprising really. TMobile are hardly going to want to ruin the G1 by announcing an even bettter phone isn't far off. They'll most likely want to see what kind of reception it gets. There are other handsets in development though the most promising rumour I've heard is that the Touch HD will be ported to Android at some point in 09.

Mind you; as Android is open source and the code is now freely available, there's not really much to stop all phones being ported in the form of a rom flash.

I'm going to hang back and wait and see what develops before I upgrade. Am happy with my Vario III for a while longer B)

Well I wouldn't expect t-mobile to say anything.... but i'd expect o2/voda/3/orange/sprint/verizon/at&t to at least drop a few spoilers......

Guest psionandy
See, I'm the other way, like the hardware formfactor ( slimmest keyboard HTC phone I've had) but the O.S kinda leaves me cold.

Any particular function / feature you like?

M.S

The OS seems quite snappy, and the idea of a cloud based phone seems very useful, especially as i don't have my own private exchange server.....

I'm happy with my vario III at the moment, and the only wm device i'd consider going up for is the xperia, but an android phone would be fun. The keyboard on the G1 is awful.. buttons are too small, no travel, worse than a tumb pad. Hopefully nobody else would make that mistake again

Guest Mysterious Stranger
The OS seems quite snappy, and the idea of a cloud based phone seems very useful, especially as i don't have my own private exchange server.....

I'm happy with my vario III at the moment, and the only wm device i'd consider going up for is the xperia, but an android phone would be fun. The keyboard on the G1 is awful.. buttons are too small, no travel, worse than a tumb pad. Hopefully nobody else would make that mistake again

Although the button pushers are smaller the size of the keyboard is still similar so the distance between adjacent buttons is the same so I don't find it an issue. With the raised centre of the keys on most HTC devices my fingers centre on the key anyway. I don't understand what you mean by no travel though? They click the same as other devices?

M.S

Guest tiger33

next year could be interesting as motorola have now officialy said they will start creating phones based on Android

i've always felt that the biggest problem with motorola was their OS

They IMO make the most stylish phones and the android OS is nice so combined together could create something special indeed.

Guest psionandy
They IMO make the most stylish phones and the android OS is nice so combined together could create something special indeed.

The biggest problem with Motorola is they never commit to any OS. They say they do, and then they flip-flop/cancel projects/move development teams/annoy all the other people in the partnership/cancel the joint project/release some badly thought out commitee phone that fails.

Motorola have used the following OSs on phones

Epoc

Palm

Symbian

Windows Mobile

Linux

Java Linux

Moto Linux

Montavista

Ipod

UIQ

Brew

Moto OS

Iden

The only platforms they haven't screwed up is the Iphone, and Blackberry... which is a testament to the good sense of Apple and RIM.

If Android makes it as an OS, it will do it despite of Motorola

Guest Ghost_1

I think I heard somewhere that Samsung and LG were on board as well. There is also a Chinese company which I forget the name to that has plans for Android too.