247 replies to this topic

gravityz

gravityz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
  • Devices:omnia i900
i did the registry hack(remove gpsid_log etc etc)

when you do this and reboot you will notice that reception is very bad and you do not see any sattelits in gpsproxy, gpsgate.

i just used it a couple of days in my car and it turns out it really works
i get a fix in seconds every day without a gps on and without a current xtra file

it seems that this gps needs clear sky and movement.

eg when i put it in my car and enable gps i see nothing

the minute i start driving all sattelites show up at oneces
it looks like it is waiting for movement to show the satellites.

so

without registry hack
slow fix but sattelites show up when stationary

with registry hack
very fast fix, sattelites only show up after movement in your car.

maybee this is a power saving thing(eg when stationary it shuts of)

registry hack is explained here
http://www.modaco.co...t-xtra-enabled/

Agps is off

these are the settings i am using in the registry

Under: HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\GPS Intermediate Driver\

- Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\PollInterval -> 500 (default is 1000)
- Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\InputBufferSize -> 512 (default is 4096)
- Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\OutputBufferSize -> 512 (default is 4096)
- Drivers\Samsung GPS Hardware\RetryWaitonerror-> 10000 (default is 10000)
- Drivers\Samsung GPS HardwareSleepOnNoData -> 100 (default is 1000)
- Multiplexer\MaxBufferSize -> 8192 (by default not present, you have to create it or standard 16384)

Edited by gravityz, 04 December 2008 - 09:03 AM.

PDA:Samsung i900XKHJ3/XKHJ3
PHONE : Samsung i900XXHH9

scoiattolo

scoiattolo

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Devices:Omnia

i used to have tomtom 7 on my omnia, my experience with tomtom is not so good for it takes time to get a gps fix/lock satellite. I changed to igo8, which has a better map image and better navigation feature, it locks in few seconds under a clear sky. It is really far compared to tomtom 7 on my personal opinion. later I will post here a link where I found it. Im busy right now and Im gonna look at the link first, tomorrow probably I'll post it here, it is worth saving time really if you use nav n go igo8 instead. cheers! :-)

Map is exactly the same since it's produced by TeleAtlas. Actually the latest 815.20XX available for TT are newer then the latest 2008.07 available for iGo

Indeed iGo works perfectly with the internal GPS (as Garmin XT) because they have uptodate GPS drivers that TT is missing.

But again until TT officially support other PPC then HTC D, we may not see anything from TT (and Samsung either..)

gravityz

gravityz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
today i noticed something strange.

after doing the registry hack the receiving of satellites is very fast.

today i walked outside and did some tests

GPSproxy and tomtom, very fast show up of satellites and fix
googlemaps bo fix at al and 0 satellites.

i enabled Agps and downloaded the XTRA file.

after that googlemaps was really fast, tomtom stayed the same.

it looks like google maps need the XTRA file while tomtom does not.
eg

software who has direct communication to the intermediate driver(googlemaps) benefit from the XTRA file)
software who communicates to a commport do not benefit from the XTRA file

Map is exactly the same since it's produced by TeleAtlas. Actually the latest 815.20XX available for TT are newer then the latest 2008.07 available for iGo

Indeed iGo works perfectly with the internal GPS (as Garmin XT) because they have uptodate GPS drivers that TT is missing.

But again until TT officially support other PPC then HTC D, we may not see anything from TT (and Samsung either..)

Junoman

Junoman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Devices:Samsung i900 Omnia
Having used DXHK2/PVR04 & DXHK3/PVR07 roms. I got an good impression about both of these roms and they show apparent improvement with TomTom. It catches GPS signal within 1-2 minutes of most time.

But I do not know about DXHK2 & DXHK3 full versions posted by secany. Please share your experience
J.

savedid

savedid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Devices:omnia
Hi,
i also tried tomtom 7 on omnia with the registry change and deleting the two files. it did start to get gps fix in a minute or two.

But the same problem as mentioned in post 1. sometimes it works repeatedly but sometimes it wont.
u need to turn of and on the phone before it works. there is something bothering it. has someone been able to figure out ?

savedid

savedid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Edited by savedid, 08 January 2009 - 02:32 PM.

raza1

raza1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

Hi,
i also tried tomtom 7 on omnia with the registry change and deleting the two files. it did start to get gps fix in a minute or two.

But the same problem as mentioned in post 1. sometimes it works repeatedly but sometimes it wont.
u need to turn of and on the phone before it works. there is something bothering it. has someone been able to figure out ?

Why don't you use GPSProxy? I managed to change te ini-file of it so it will automatically open TomTom after it is started. I made a shortcut in SamsungToday 1 of GPSProxy so I will only have to press that shortcut and everything will start. So after I pressed that shortcut I have to wait 10 seconds max to navigate. Sattelites are found almost immediately. (2-3 seconds)
Good Luck!

Junoman

Junoman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Why don't you use GPSProxy? I managed to change te ini-file of it so it will automatically open TomTom after it is started. I made a shortcut in SamsungToday 1 of GPSProxy so I will only have to press that shortcut and everything will start. So after I pressed that shortcut I have to wait 10 seconds max to navigate. Sattelites are found almost immediately. (2-3 seconds)
Good Luck!

This is an alternative solution only!!! :rolleyes:

TomTom should work indipendantly and it designed do so. The problem is, the released versions are not compatible with Samsung omnia since it is mainly designed for HTC phones. You may notice that Samsung i900 omnia is not listed in TomTom's compatible phone list. We will have to wait and see how the next official version form TomTom.

There are number thrid party GPS enhance software availble to date. But these softwares consume/drain the battery lot.

J.

raza1

raza1

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

There are number thrid party GPS enhance software availble to date. But these softwares consume/drain the battery lot.

J.

Doesn't matter to me, I just use a carcharger. I tried IGO8 but it drove me nuts by their wrong sentences and the appearance of 3d is very lame. Also TT has a compass that I fiend very handy.

savedid

savedid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Good Luck!

Thanks for guiding. i will try. but i still look forward to having it fixed.
as i said TT works fine and gets the fix in seconds. only problem is after 2, 3 or 4 times, it wont work n u have to soft reset.
someone genious could get that fixed i hope.

gravityz

gravityz

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts
agreed

some igo8 voices are useless
i am from the netherlands and they made a voice called gonnieva which is perfect and sounds normal with normal sentences
igo8 also has a compass but i never use it.
3d is not high res because probably a lot of devices can not handle the power needed to animate this.

i think it is all a matter of taste

stick with tt if you ike it
hopefully there will be a solution for ther build in gps on the omnia

Doesn't matter to me, I just use a carcharger. I tried IGO8 but it drove me nuts by their wrong sentences and the appearance of 3d is very lame. Also TT has a compass that I fiend very handy.

Junoman

Junoman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

agreed

some igo8 voices are useless
i am from the netherlands and they made a voice called gonnieva which is perfect and sounds normal with normal sentences
igo8 also has a compass but i never use it.
3d is not high res because probably a lot of devices can not handle the power needed to animate this.

i think it is all a matter of taste

stick with tt if you ike it
hopefully there will be a solution for ther build in gps on the omnia

Hopefully yes!!! I'm looking forward to it.

I agree with your comments. I have get used and more familiar with TT rather iGO8. But iGO is not bad navigater though.

I have both installed if in case.

Cheers'
J.

savedid

savedid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Hi,

i belive someone would figure it out as we hav got so many geinous guys here?

Junoman

Junoman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
TomTom Navigater 7 for WM is out!!

Browse here tTomTom official web. But you can't find Omnia on their compatibility list!!! ;) Shame really!! :D

Whether this is due to the poor GPD reception of omnia??? :o

Dilemaa???? :)

J.

jonboyuk

jonboyuk

Diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Devices:Samsung Omnia i900
Not as exciting as I first thought, the compatibility list only stretches to HTC devices...nothing new then ;)

Junoman

Junoman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
NAVIGATOR 7 for Windows
  • ERA MDA Vario IV
  • HTC P3470
  • HTC Touch Cruise
  • HTC Touch Cruise II
  • HTC Touch Diamond 2
  • HTC Touch HD
  • HTC Touch Pro
  • HTC Touch Pro 2
  • HTC TyTN II
  • O2 XDA Diamond Pro
  • O2 XDA Guide
  • O2 XDA Orbit 2
  • Orange HTC Touch Pro
  • Orange P4550
  • Samsung i900 Omnia
  • SFR HTC Touch HD
  • SFR HTC Touch Pro
  • Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1
  • Swisscom HTC Touch Pro
  • Swisscom HTC Touch Pro 2
  • Swisscom XPA1615
  • T-Mobile MDA Vario III
  • T-Mobile MDA Vario IV
  • Vodafone HTC Touch Pro
  • Vodafone XPA1615
At last they have come with solution to our poor i900 omnia!!!

I found this reply from our Dude Secany in this threat! :D :D . I know most of us prefer TomTom navigator rather other ones. Therefore I hope he will help us soon! It will be great help for this coomunity. Looking forward to!! :)

Come on Secany, can't wait now!! :D

I'm using Tomtom 7 #9196 with Omnia, internal GPS, no addition software :D

Not as exciting as I first thought, the compatibility list only stretches to HTC devices...nothing new then :D

Junoman

Junoman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Bump!!!!

Secany,

Come on mate?

J.

leon0000

leon0000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
why don't you try GPS Mod Driver? It works for me, fix all problems for tomtom. Also, if you use Agps and select "only download when connect wifi", then everyday morning when you update weather information through wifi, it also download newest xtra file, it makes your I900 fix satellites less than 20 sec every time.

Junoman

Junoman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
GPS Mod Driver (more info click here)

First I came to know this GPS Mod Driver nearly one and half months ago, but I could experiment it with the absence of my omnia. I got my omnia back into my hand (few ago) after sending to Samsung repair centre!! It works like a charm..!

GPS Mod driver helps to improve poor GPS reception of omnia. The credit should goes to original innovater and the latest version of this GPS Mod Driver found on this link.

Cheers
J.

Thank you very much for this too!

why don't you try GPS Mod Driver? It works for me, fix all problems for tomtom. Also, if you use Agps and select "only download when connect wifi", then everyday morning when you update weather information through wifi, it also download newest xtra file, it makes your I900 fix satellites less than 20 sec every time.

Junoman

Junoman

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Finally Permanent GPS fix for i900 Omnia (more info click here)

Goodluck! ;)

J.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users