I want to be a flasher!!

Guest pdes

I have been hanging around this site for weeks,to understand how to get the best out of my Omnia. I took the plunge a couple of days ago and tried to update my DXHH3 with the official DXHJ1 but this failed at the first hurdle with the "wrong software version" error and no solution using the "fix". I have addressed this in another post and hope someone can help. But I am still confused (or thick!). I need someone to TELL me what to load! I have three basic requirements:

1) I need to improve battery performance drastically.

2) I need to improve radio performance.

3) I need the ROM to be in English.

All other issues are fairly unimportant to me as long as I can load all my apps and no other services are adversely affected.

I also have a couple of questions that have been nagging at me and would love one of you gurus to help me with my understanding.

1) I have read about the pocketfs.sys file and how this is Samsung specific. It has something to do with flash memory handling but cannot be backed up. Is this file restored with the ROMs? I have had a frustrating discussion with Samsung over this but am none the wiser. (I can post this discussion if anyone is interested).

2) With all of the ROM choices, how can a lowly soul work out what's included and what's not?

3) Why are people upgrading to HH3 when much newer ROMs are available?

I would really appreciate some guidance.

TIA

Guest projection

If you want to be a "flasher", all you have to do is go outside and take your pants off.

On a more serious note, search the forums... and get PaSSoA-s Manilla2D rom, it will flash over pretty much anything.

If you want to be a "flasher", all you have to do is go outside and take your pants off.

On a more serious note, search the forums... and get PaSSoA-s Manilla2D rom, it will flash over pretty much anything.

Just had a good look around the Manilla threads but it looks as though it is a UI rather than a ROM upgrade. I am sure I need a ROM upgrade to meet the battery and radio requirements in my original post. I will cwertainly look to Manilla when I have a nice new base on which to load it as I currently get lock-ups with Spb Mobile Shell. (or have I misunderstood something?).

Guest pdaphonemaster
I have been hanging around this site for weeks,to understand how to get the best out of my Omnia. I took the plunge a couple of days ago and tried to update my DXHH3 with the official DXHJ1 but this failed at the first hurdle with the "wrong software version" error and no solution using the "fix". I have addressed this in another post and hope someone can help. But I am still confused (or thick!). I need someone to TELL me what to load! I have three basic requirements:

3) I need the ROM to be in English.

All other issues are fairly unimportant to me as long as I can load all my apps and no other services are adversely affected.

I also have a couple of questions that have been nagging at me and would love one of you gurus to help me with my understanding.

1) I have read about the pocketfs.sys file and how this is Samsung specific. It has something to do with flash memory handling but cannot be backed up. Is this file restored with the ROMs? I have had a frustrating discussion with Samsung over this but am none the wiser. (I can post this discussion if anyone is interested).

2) With all of the ROM choices, how can a lowly soul work out what's included and what's not?

3) Why are people upgrading to HH3 when much newer ROMs are available?

I would really appreciate some guidance.

TIA

1. Official DXHJ1 is for the Philippines, so change your phone country ot the Philippines and this should fix your incorrect software error.

2. Try Secany's leaked DXHJ1 or DTHJ5 or 6 available form Secany's Rom thread. These do not check for sountry setting and will flash to any rom version.

3. Same goes fo PaSsoa's and others' cooked rom which are based on Secany's roms. These will flash to any rom.

Guest Anfloyd

I tried 4 different ROMS due to poor battery and radio performance. Not a lot of change in any of them to be honest. Would recommend PaSsoa's M2D Rom though.

I tried 4 different ROMS due to poor battery and radio performance. Not a lot of change in any of them to be honest. Would recommend PaSsoa's M2D Rom though.

I have spent all day trying to get Manila to work but my patience has run out. It took hours to load all 13 CAB files (kept getting memory full errors so my fault for restoring apps back into the main memory) but I still have errors: A registry entry does not exist, buttons do not work and the app has completely filled my storage. I have had to delete all my mails and other apps just to get all the CABs loaded. I have no doubt that this is a marvelous piece of work but all I want to do is go back to a "standard" build, load my favourite apps and get on with my life! I am sure you all know when enough is enough! Anyway, I have tried to go back to an official download and, you've guessed it - I get the "wrong software version" message. I have tried the fix for this but the device never re-boots so I am completely stuck.

What do I do next? If I hard-reset, will I be able to flash another ROM? I would be sooooooo grateful for some idiot-guide advice.

TIA

Guest Anfloyd
I have spent all day trying to get Manila to work but my patience has run out. It took hours to load all 13 CAB files (kept getting memory full errors so my fault for restoring apps back into the main memory) but I still have errors: A registry entry does not exist, buttons do not work and the app has completely filled my storage. I have had to delete all my mails and other apps just to get all the CABs loaded. I have no doubt that this is a marvelous piece of work but all I want to do is go back to a "standard" build, load my favourite apps and get on with my life! I am sure you all know when enough is enough! Anyway, I have tried to go back to an official download and, you've guessed it - I get the "wrong software version" message. I have tried the fix for this but the device never re-boots so I am completely stuck.

What do I do next? If I hard-reset, will I be able to flash another ROM? I would be sooooooo grateful for some idiot-guide advice.

TIA

Sorry to hear all the bother your having with your device! I did get the CAB version of M2D to work on my Omnia but it was the actual ROM version which I recommended. Had no problems.

The only thing I can suggest is a hard reset and flashing to HH1 (Link below). I'm only suggesting this ROM because it's worked for me. I'm getting the Touch HD so I've decided to sell my Omnia. So today I have successfully flashed back to HH1 ready to sell. No problems. No 'wrong software version' or any problems like that.

Hope this helps.

HH1 ROM

Don't think he's complaining about his FM radio my friend. It's the cellphone radio he has issues with. ie. picking up his service providers signal. B)

Thanks all. Yes, it was the Cell radio performance I needed to improve.

I have managed to revert to HH1 and have returned to the status quo. That was a scary (and wasted!) weekend! I started with an HH3 build now have an HH1. Will I notice some degradation as I have gone backwards?

I have been having a spat with the Samsung techies over the past week. They told me that if I did not have a UK ROM then my warranty would be void. I explained that I had had the phone delivered by a UK distributor with a Singapore (Vietnam/Phillipines) ROM and they said I should take it up with my supplier! So, out of interest, what is a UK build? Has anyone ever had a phone shipped in the UK with a "UK" build?