So who's gonna get OSX on the Samsung NC10?

Guest Damiantmc

Guest Damiantmc

Hey all,

Thought I'd pose the question as I've just got my NC10 and its a great little machine but I don't know the first thing about Mac or installing it (Windows mobile fine, mac first time for everything lol)

I've seen and read pauls guide for the Wind but anyone know or could point out if (and how) this would work on the NC10 as they are similar hardware chipsets

Also dual booting with XP (or triple with Vista aswell) Possible?

Thanks

Damian

Guest Paul (MVP)

I can't get the OSX DVD to recognise the NC10's internal drive yet... but when I get some time next week i'm gonna give it a proper go! B)

You're right, it's a great lil machine!

P

Guest Damiantmc

Did you go for black, white or blue? I ended up going for the white one, went into the PCworld near me and was told they only had the display one, when I asked to see it they looked and said it wasn't on display yet so I snapped it straight up B) My partners brother works in currys aswell so got it with 10% off for £269 B)

Battery on its fantastic and I'm loving the keyboard

Damian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest danny144

I was thinking of putting OSX on but looking on other sites, the lack of certain things working is a real deal-breaker for me which is a shame 'cos all my colleges computers are OSX so would be great to have one at home :/

• 3 weeks later...

I'm extremely tempted to put OSX on here, but there are reported issues. What worries me most is lack of network support (both wired and wireless) which makes it tricky to properly try out before commiting to buying/replacing the internal Wifi card with a delicious N jobby. Of course, a new card might also work better in Ubuntu.

Oh and I'll have to get medievil on my WindowsXP/Ubuntu dual boot setup before I even have somewhere to put OSX.

Guest nscxp2005

Hi Damiantmc,

I managed to get OSX Retail version working on the NC10, but it did require me modifying the DVD image before restoring it to a pen drive. I also have XP & Windows 7 on the machine.

If you require any advice on how to make this possible do not hesitate to contact me.

All the best

NSCXP2005

I've now got OSX installed and running, I used iDeneb 10.5.6, Carbon-copied onto an external hard disk and made bootable with Chameleon.

I'm waiting for my network card, but in the interim I'm having problems with the "dreaded" GetHostUUIDString error which appears to occur when a lot of applications are launched. The "say" command is a good simple example, and will sometimes cause a kernel panic.

I've tried the fix detailed here (http://forum.netkas.org/index.php?topic=83.0) to no avail. I believe the problem is that I have absolutely no set up network devices, and thus it may all go away once I've got the Dell 1505 Wireless mini-PCI card installed.

I can confirm that the 2009 security roll-up will install on iDeneb 10.5.6 with no problems. I did it over bluetooth PAN, too. This was followed shortly by Safari 4, which still starts up in a couple of bounces. Very nice!

I've still not found a solution to the greyed-out bluetooth on/off checkbox. My bluetooth defaults to off and can be turned on by running Bluetooth File Exchange so it's no big deal for me. Bluetooth works, at least, confirmed by downloading the 45mb security roll-up. It's agonizingly slow, though, slower than I would expect it to be.

So, Paul, when are you going to get the last few bits and bobs working sweetly and post a guide on how to get two-finger scrolling working? :(

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nick(R)

I'm very interested in getting OSX on my NC10 but not very confident about doing this sort of thing. Does anyone know of a “beginner's guide” which explains everything? I'm starting from a dual boot XP / Ubuntu setup and would like to achieve a triple boot XP / Ubuntu / OSX setup as WoD seems to have.

Could I ask a few basic questions?

1.Can I do this from a USB drive using iDeneb, i.e. avoiding having to buy an external DVD drive?

2.Presumably I first need to create a new partition for OSX (using Ubuntu Partition Editor?) and then configure Grub to give me an OSX boot menu option?

3.As I understand it, to get a wireless internet connection working, I need to swap the wireless card. I've seen Dell 1505, 1390 and 1490 mentioned. How do I decide which to choose and will XP and Ubuntu still work OK? Is it straightforward switching cards? I've heard tales of problems with the case screws getting shredded because of their poor quality.

Thanks for the help and apologies for the newbie questions.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest nscxp2005

Paul,

do you know how to get Chameleon 2.0 RC1 working with the NC10? I currently have the following setup

Recovery

XP

OSX

Windows 7

OSX Backup

Data

DDMAC Drive

I am having problems booting XP & Windows 7. WIth W7 all I get is a flashing cursor, with XP I get the following error:

Invalid BOOT.INI file

Booting from C:\Windows\

NTDETECT Failed

Any ideas how to get this working?

All the best

NSCXP2005

• 4 weeks later...
Guest StGeorge

I am looking to brave this and go for a dual boot of OSX and Windows 7. I am a complete novice wrt anything none MS so it could be fun. What the hell, if it all goes pear shaped I can always nuke the laptop and go back to W7, I need to replace the BETA with the RC build anyway.....

Will report back!

• 5 months later...