T-Mobile Touch HD?

Guest TheNerd

Guest Mr Alom

Thanks for that info :) I'm due for an upgrade but I really want that HD...might have to wait until my next upgrade, or it may never be release on T-Mobile. :D

Nope, The Touch Pro, or rather the MDA Vario IV is now available via phone upgrade from T-Mobile. See this Engadget Mobile article for more info and a link to the User Manual.

Though as I commented on the article, I think its too little too late. What took them so long?

Guest the_ape
Thanks for that info :) I'm due for an upgrade but I really want that HD...might have to wait until my next upgrade, or it may never be release on T-Mobile. :D

Whats the software keyboard like on the HD? kinda want a HD but afraid I'm going to miss my hardware keyboard. Might go the pro route anyhow.... but that screen!

Guest Mr Alom

I'm the same :) ...I've had MDA Vario, Vario II, Vario III and now just ordered the compact IV from T-Mobile for my upgrade (free of charge). I feel scared :) not having a hardware keyboard as I'm use to having one but I'm looking for a smaller size device this time; actually I don't use the keyboard as much. I'll try it out before my 7 days cooling off period, If I don't like it, I'll swap it with the Vario IV (Touch Pro) which will be releasing very soon.

As for the HD, I don't think Tmobile's even thinking of releasing it...but the software keyboard sounds good according to the guys on XDA and a colleague. :D

Whats the software keyboard like on the HD? kinda want a HD but afraid I'm going to miss my hardware keyboard. Might go the pro route anyhow.... but that screen!
Edited by Mr Alom

I'd be interested to see how that works out for you Mr Alom, I had the exact same thoughts and went from my Vario with a keyboard to a Touch Dual, thinking I would like to try the smaller form factor, in short I regret going for another 18month contract as I'm desperate to get back to a keyboard, have to wait till August now though :D

Just found out I'm gonna be a Dad at the end of July, so going to the expense of buying a sim-free phone or buying myself out of the rest of my contract is all on hold for the time being :)

No but according to the scan image I still have time to solder one to it's arm :D

... gotta go I think Social Services are knocking on the door...

Guest Mr Alom

Congratz Rob.P

I'd be interested to see how that works out for you Mr Alom, I had the exact same thoughts and went from my Vario with a keyboard to a Touch Dual, thinking I would like to try the smaller form factor, in short I regret going for another 18month contract as I'm desperate to get back to a keyboard, have to wait till August now though :D

Just found out I'm gonna be a Dad at the end of July, so going to the expense of buying a sim-free phone or buying myself out of the rest of my contract is all on hold for the time being :)

Guest the_ape
It depends where you are.

Most worried about o2's hsdpa coverage... seems to be a little weak? T-Mob's is great most places... however work is on a corporate o2 contract, so at least at work sites I'll be ok as we have our own masts on site :)

Guest the_ape
I've had better experience with coverage on o2 than TMob by far! HSPDA is strong and I get signal inside my flat now :)

Took the plunge, ordered two (1 for me and 1 for misses) from mobile.co.uk, used the 40quid cashback from Quidco and will switch it from free text's to free data. So game on...

Let's hope I can put up with having no physical keyboard, cause I about tossed an iPhone accross the pub last night because I couldnt type owt on it.

Guest Mr Alom

Let us know how it works out (without keyboard for you)? :)

Took the plunge, ordered two (1 for me and 1 for misses) from mobile.co.uk, used the 40quid cashback from Quidco and will switch it from free text's to free data. So game on...

Let's hope I can put up with having no physical keyboard, cause I about tossed an iPhone accross the pub last night because I couldnt type owt on it.

Guest the_ape
Let us know how it works out (without keyboard for you)? :D

So Far so Good... Don't mind the KB, getting used to it, like the tactile (buzz) feedback on it, it helps... What I'm really missing and didnt realise I would is hardware buttons!

Tried ABPlus (mem/cpu hog) and MobileMagic (great but unstable), want MobileMagic to work more stabley, as it tends to 'hang' the device every once in a while, but it's quality when it works.

The screen is SOOOO nice though... Opera looks amazing!

Have to see how the wife get's on with hers though, off to flash her Rom (to Dutties 1.7) right now :)

Guest Mr Alom

I wish I had the HD!!! :D

So Far so Good... Don't mind the KB, getting used to it, like the tactile (buzz) feedback on it, it helps... What I'm really missing and didnt realise I would is hardware buttons!

Tried ABPlus (mem/cpu hog) and MobileMagic (great but unstable), want MobileMagic to work more stabley, as it tends to 'hang' the device every once in a while, but it's quality when it works.

The screen is SOOOO nice though... Opera looks amazing!

Have to see how the wife get's on with hers though, off to flash her Rom (to Dutties 1.7) right now :)

Guest the_ape
I wish I had the HD!!! :)

Pretty much all sorted now, a stable version of MobileMagic, CorePlayer (just about) playing back iPlayer stuff nicely (off the iPhone stream) and most other stuff setup how I like.

Couple of niggles,

1 - TF3D's music player sux, it's not able to work out the order of tracks? Media Player is just fine, but would be nicer from a finger friendly interface.

2 - the . , keyboard bug, but got used to it and it dont really bother, might have a play at cooking me own rom and see if I can fix it.

3 - battery life is getting better, so can't really complain as it's a new battery, but could be better (at the moment).

4 - D3D drivers could be more stable, but then again they are the Diamond ones at the moment, sure a new set will make it's way out, or the Diamond's will improve.

5 - Some apps really don't like the rotate screen stuff. Media player for one (watch a vid that it plays FS lanscape, then turn the device landscape... odd aint it!) can be fixed using MobileMagic and focing MediaPlayer to Portrait.

6 - Opera can be a bit laggy to rotate the screen, must tweak the detection interval.

7 - OOB experience of ratate screen in general is poor. Try setting HKLM\software\htc\htcsensor\gsensor\checkingtime to 200, much nicer...

Besides that pleased as punch, and they all pail into insignificance because of that amazing screen!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest thelondonthing

Any news yet on if the Touch HD will be making it to T-Mobile?

T-Mo has an abysmal range of Win Mo handsets at the moment, with just the Diamond and Vario IV available, and other than the replacements for those two handsets - which are months away - there's no hint at any other models due in the short term.

I've already got a Touch Pro, so there's nothing for me to upgrade to! Grrr!

Guest naturbo2000
Any news yet on if the Touch HD will be making it to T-Mobile?

I gave up waiting for T-mobile to offer the Touch HD directly and requested my PAC from them. Retentions can do some good deals on the Vario IV, but say they will not be stocking the Touch HD at all. (There has been a press release indicating the Diamond 2 and Touch Pro 2 will be on T-mobile as the Compact V and Vario V from June: http://www.telekom.com/dtag/cms/content/dt...ticleID=617148)

As I say, I gave up and got my Touch HD on T-mobile from mobilephonesdirect. I'm now in the process of doing the Virgin Mobile shuffle to try and can keep my old T-mobile number...

Guest Mr Alom

I also gave up waiting for the Touch HD, I've already upgraded to a Diamond in the new year but I heard once T-Mobile was going to use this as their G2 phone, anyone know if it's true?

Guest psionandy
I also gave up waiting for the Touch HD, I've already upgraded to a Diamond in the new year but I heard once T-Mobile was going to use this as their G2 phone, anyone know if it's true?

no its not true... well it's incredibly unlikely as he diamond2 has been annouced by HTC

Guest DJ_Enigma

T-Mobile told me they will have this in the next couple of months as they are currently putting it through testing and they only do this with devices they inten to supply.

I said I wanted to upgrade to this or leave an he said I should wait for a couple of months before I do one as they will probably have it by then.

Edited by DJ_Enigma