[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest smilepak

How to: Get Wifi Tethering working on the Verizon Omnia I910

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.
    (You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)
  2. Restart your phone.
  3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".
  5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".
  6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.
  7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.
  11. Select "Connect"
  12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".
  13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.
  14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.
*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

That worked perfectly. How the heck did you find the right ICS file to use. I've used several from XDA and couldn't get either one of them to work.

Guest OctaneMS
That worked perfectly. How the heck did you find the right ICS file to use. I've used several from XDA and couldn't get either one of them to work.

Hey is this Dikiem from HowardForums?

I got it from a friend that got ICS working on his Touch Pro over at PPCGeeks.

Guest hatchback19

Nice work OctaneMS, glad to see this working. I typed my previous message from my i910. I was using the ICS cab file previously posted with the newest version of WMWiFiRouter, so I'm unsure of weather it was the ICS file, or maybe the security settings of the WMWiFi. I believe after looking farther into it, it was the cab file itself as I could never get it to actually display "connected", would only create a network of PCs but not connected to the data cellular connection. We certainly appreciate your contribution, as many people will benefit from it! Thanks!

Guest mycroft

Tried this on my Samsung i910 and while it appeared to connect to my Vista laptop, I couldn't get an internet connection. I quit the router program, turned off wifi and did a soft reset on my Omnia, but now my 'turn on wifi' button does not work. Any idea why this would happen and how do I fix it?

Guest OctaneMS

Tried this on my Samsung i910 and while it appeared to connect to my Vista laptop, I couldn't get an internet connection. I quit the router program, turned off wifi and did a soft reset on my Omnia, but now my 'turn on wifi' button does not work. Any idea why this would happen and how do I fix it?

If you have tried other versions of ICS you many have caused a problem. You will need to do a hard reset and start all over. Be prepared to lose all your settings and installs. Only use the files I list above.

I have followed the above directions and downloaded the 2 files. tried hooking up tp laptop with usb cable sharing was fine. when i run wmwifirouter it starts ok, but stops at screen says connected wlan is on! waiting for ics. any help would be appreciated. thanks, pajer

I was able to successfully download and install the ics program but my i910 won't allow me to install the wmwifirouter program. has anyone else gotten this error while trying to install to the device?

Guest smilepak
I was able to successfully download and install the ics program but my i910 won't allow me to install the wmwifirouter program. has anyone else gotten this error while trying to install to the device?

I have no problem isntalling it. Only to uninstall it, it won't let me. So I can't reinstall it without hardreset : (

Guest OctaneMS
I have followed the above directions and downloaded the 2 files. tried hooking up tp laptop with usb cable sharing was fine. when i run wmwifirouter it starts ok, but stops at screen says connected wlan is on! waiting for ics. any help would be appreciated. thanks, pajer

Sounds like you have problem with the ICS install. Try a hard reset and install again.

Guest bwonish
So how do i turn the wi-fi off once i run WMWifi? Its draining my battery!

---------------------

Everything worked great for me, thanks for your help!!!

Somedude, there are a few different ways to turn off Wifi, if you are using the Samsung widget, on the today screen there is a Wireless Manager widget, pull that to the main screen and there is a very easy to use on off button for wifi, bluetooth and the phone.

Guest somedude
---------------------

Everything worked great for me, thanks for your help!!!

Somedude, there are a few different ways to turn off Wifi, if you are using the Samsung widget, on the today screen there is a Wireless Manager widget, pull that to the main screen and there is a very easy to use on off button for wifi, bluetooth and the phone.

Ive tried that, but when i drag the widget out and click on "Wi-fi On" nothing happens and wifi stays on.

Edited by somedude

Guest smilepak

This worked great. One thing though...

Since WIFI sucks battery life like crazy, how do I get it to work with USB cable still connected to it, but still use the exact same functionality (dont want to use through USB, but to use USB to charge phone)?

Guest smilepak
This worked great. One thing though...

Since WIFI sucks battery life like crazy, how do I get it to work with USB cable still connected to it, but still use the exact same functionality (dont want to use through USB, but to use USB to charge phone)?

Nevermind, got it to work.

By the way the later version of WMWIFI does a lot of neat things! Including stronger security!!!

Ive tried that, but when i drag the widget out and click on "Wi-fi On" nothing happens and wifi stays on.

If you go to settings and then power and enable power saving on the wifi, then you can turn it off

I was wondering if anyone found the answer to this. I get this "wlan is on waiting for ics" on my omnia and in my laptop i get connected with little or no connectivity. I don't know what I did wrong, I followed the instructions and downloaded the same files on the post before.

Guest packetguru

I use June Fabrics PDA net. It's only $30 and works on any WinMo phone, plus I can tether over bluetooth as well as cabled, make /receive phone calls while it is tethered and it auto-connects when I wire my phone. Its a pretty cool product for the price. Anyway, just thought I'd add my 2 cents.

Blake

Guest bwonish

I have been using this tethering fix for a couple days now. Everything has been working great. I did a soft reset this evening and when the phone came back on, Wifi is not able to be enabled. When i opened up the Wireless Manager, Wifi isn't even listed.

The tethering still works through the USB cable. Nothing else has been changed with the phone since i did the install. Has anyone else had this problem?

Update: after soft resetting like 9 times, Wifi came back...

Edited by bwonish

Guest Sky Masters

Many thanks for the info!

I tried it last nite and it worked like a charm!

Does anyone know if you get a more reliable/faster speeds when connected by cable?

Guest Omnia_Chief

so i was all excited about seeing that tethering was working for everyone and ready to install it. Got ICS working fine. was able to connect and share internet via USB. great!, then i had to greedy and try to install wmwifirouter. everytime i try to install i get "Jorri Jongma WMWifiRouter cannot be installed" tried installing in device and tried installing in /my storage. tried a few soft resets. any ideas? thanks

UPDATE: Able to connect and tether via bluetooth using ics. so not really need for the wifi (still haven't got wmwifirouter installed), unless using with wifi connection is faster than the bluetooth. i just wanted to make sure i could connect with or with the usb connection.

Edited by Omnia_Chief

Guest BitterBastard
so i was all excited about seeing that tethering was working for everyone and ready to install it. Got ICS working fine. was able to connect and share internet via USB. great!, then i had to greedy and try to install wmwifirouter. everytime i try to install i get "Jorri Jongma WMWifiRouter cannot be installed" tried installing in device and tried installing in /my storage. tried a few soft resets. any ideas? thanks

UPDATE: Able to connect and tether via bluetooth using ics. so not really need for the wifi (still haven't got wmwifirouter installed), unless using with wifi connection is faster than the bluetooth. i just wanted to make sure i could connect with or with the usb connection.

I get exactly the same error. Since I received the phone from Verizon, I've installed nothing on it except a registry editor (PHM) and ICS. BTW, ICS works beautifully over USB, thanks so much! Would love to get the WiFi working tho

Guest Omnia_Chief
I get exactly the same error. Since I received the phone from Verizon, I've installed nothing on it except a registry editor (PHM) and ICS. BTW, ICS works beautifully over USB, thanks so much! Would love to get the WiFi working tho

just FYI, isc will also work over bluetooth if you want a wireless connection.

Guest urbanricer11

so does this process just use data? so my email and web payment would cover unlimited use of tethering? im on verizon using an i910, thanks in advance.

Guest Omnia_Chief
so does this process just use data? so my email and web payment would cover unlimited use of tethering? im on verizon using an i910, thanks in advance.

if you have an unlimited data plan, then yes it would cover this. just don't tell Big Red that you are tethering.