[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest urbanricer11
if you have an unlimited data plan, then yes it would cover this. just don't tell Big Red that you are tethering.

i do have one so, thanks for this, and Big Red can kiss my arse. thanks alot for this, everyone who contributed.

so i was all excited about seeing that tethering was working for everyone and ready to install it. Got ICS working fine. was able to connect and share internet via USB. great!, then i had to greedy and try to install wmwifirouter. everytime i try to install i get "Jorri Jongma WMWifiRouter cannot be installed" tried installing in device and tried installing in /my storage. tried a few soft resets. any ideas? thanks

UPDATE: Able to connect and tether via bluetooth using ics. so not really need for the wifi (still haven't got wmwifirouter installed), unless using with wifi connection is faster than the bluetooth. i just wanted to make sure i could connect with or with the usb connection.

To install, you have to turn your wifi on from the phone first or else it won't install. My problem is that I can get the ICS connected and once I install the wmwifirouter and run it. I get "WLAN is on Waiting for ICS" and my laptop connects with little or no connectivity through the USB. When I close wmwifirouter, and just turn on ICS, my computer connects fine and has good connectivity but I can't browse the internet. How did you get your computer to use the internet just using the ICS alone?

i do have one so, thanks for this, and Big Red can kiss my arse. thanks alot for this, everyone who contributed.

Just to be clear, the unlimited data plan is $45 not $30 in case people are mistaken. Also, the plan specifically states for the $30 plan that they don't allow tethering. Just a heads up, I don't want people to get screwed by Big Red.

Guest urbanricer11
Just to be clear, the unlimited data plan is $45 not $30 in case people are mistaken. Also, the plan specifically states for the $30 plan that they don't allow tethering. Just a heads up, I don't want people to get screwed by Big Red.

i just double checked my bill just to be sure, i pay the $30 a month, and it says unlimited data on the bill. not arguing just feeding the information train.

Guest dave124

I just spent hours trying to do this. I had to do a hard reset as well. Just figured it out. Had to turn WLAN back on. I had turned it off for a flight I recently took. Thanks for the help. My eee pc is happy.

You're all good people helping us out. Maybe someday I'll have an answer for you.

Let me make sure I have one thing right. For this to work, you must have a wireless network card? Correct? This wouldn't work on an older desktop??

Guest dbsimms63

How do I download the cab to give my Omnia internet sharing? I have tried but it won't open and load. It looks like it is downloading, but I can never find it in programs or

anywhere else, but when I go back to the link, it asks if I want to replace the existing file. Help I would like to create a BT PAN so I can connect to my lap top to the internet and even Wifirouter says you must have internet sharing to work...HELP!!!

Edited by dbsimms63

How to: Get Wifi Tethering working on the Verizon Omnia I910

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.
    (You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)
  2. Restart your phone.
  3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".
  5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".
  6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.
  7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.
  11. Select "Connect"
  12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".
  13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.
  14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.
*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

thank you so much man

God Bless you

Guest goose23
thank you so much man

God Bless you

Don't you have to pay $29.99 for verizon's broadband access when u get the omnia with them even tho the phone has wifi capabilities?

Guest paradizelost
Don't you have to pay $29.99 for verizon's broadband access when u get the omnia with them even tho the phone has wifi capabilities?

Yes, because otherwise it was like $2.99/MB of traffic, charged in 1MB increments, when you use data over the cell network. People got pissed about being nickel and dimed and they cancelled that as an option. Now people are just as pissed about having to buy the $30 data plan.

For the sake of this thread though, the whole point is access to the cellular data connection via wifi on your laptop, rather than paying the $15/mo for tethering.

Guest goose23
Yes, because otherwise it was like $2.99/MB of traffic, charged in 1MB increments, when you use data over the cell network. People got pissed about being nickel and dimed and they cancelled that as an option. Now people are just as pissed about having to buy the $30 data plan.

For the sake of this thread though, the whole point is access to the cellular data connection via wifi on your laptop, rather than paying the $15/mo for tethering.

Oh i see. thanks!

I have something to add as well.

When I first got my Omnia, I switched data plans to the $29.99/unlimited plan, because they didn't tell me that I couldn't connect to our Exchange server. I had installed ICS & PDANet, and was unable to tether to my computer using the USB, or Bluetooth. I have VZW switch me back over to the $45/unlimited plan, and mystically it worked just fine....So, maybe you have to have the $45 plan for tethering to work. Not sure, just my experience with it.

Guest bwonish

Since using this fix, WiFi on my phone is sporadically screwing up. It is a crapshoot every time i turn on the phone whether the connections option will have just bluetooth and phone or also include Wifi.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

i have had the fix working and tethered numerous times, but this is a very annoying problem that sometimes, wifi cannot be enabled and it is appears completely random.

Guest viper222

A note on the Data plan for $30 versus $45. I have had the $45 for about 2 years with my phones. We always connect to our Exchange server and have it "push" our emails and it syncs. Well, I decided to try it, so I called and had it changed to the $30 plan, and guess what, my email still syncs, it still gets the "push" to tell it to sync, NO DIFFERENCE in the type of service or connectivity that I can tell.

I think that it is actually the difference in using that "VZW Wireless Sync" product they offer for syncing. That makes sense to me, that is a "service" they offer and you configure on a website of theirs.

Guest paradizelost
I have something to add as well.

When I first got my Omnia, I switched data plans to the $29.99/unlimited plan, because they didn't tell me that I couldn't connect to our Exchange server. I had installed ICS & PDANet, and was unable to tether to my computer using the USB, or Bluetooth. I have VZW switch me back over to the $45/unlimited plan, and mystically it worked just fine....So, maybe you have to have the $45 plan for tethering to work. Not sure, just my experience with it.

That would be correct. the $30/mo plan allows your phone to access data, it's an additional $15/MO to tether. This gets around that.

Guest futureboycolin

i'm also having the same problem with my wifi controls disappearing. is there a reliable fix for this? i think my wifi is stuck in the on position and draining my battery... and i can't turn it off.

also... when the wmwifi router DID connect it wasn't sharing the connection. all i could do was connect to the wmwifirouter network as local only. is that a problem with the ics? i followed the instructions to the letter and only used the specified .cab files.

thx,

Colin

Guest bwonish
i'm also having the same problem with my wifi controls disappearing. is there a reliable fix for this? i think my wifi is stuck in the on position and draining my battery... and i can't turn it off.

also... when the wmwifi router DID connect it wasn't sharing the connection. all i could do was connect to the wmwifirouter network as local only. is that a problem with the ics? i followed the instructions to the letter and only used the specified .cab files.

thx,

Colin

After researching this problem, apparently there is a defect in the overall software that causes WIFI to become disabled. Most forums suggest going into the power settings for wifi and then enabling or disabling the power save feature for wifi and then soft resetting the phone. This apparently causes the phone to reset the wifi in some manner. Unfortunately that hasn't been a good fix for me. According to other forums, verizon and samsung are working on a fix for this, which is disappointing, because apparently the same bugs appeared with the i900 and they knew about this problem many months ago.

I performed a hard reset and finally have wifi back again, reloaded this fix and everything is working again...for now.

Guest smashedpumpkins

Hmm okay I'm a tad confused. I had the LG Voyager with the $15 a month unlimited data plan. I tethered it to my laptop and it worked great! I just upgraded to the Samsung Omnia today. I'm looking to tether this one also. However when I switched they didn't say anything about it being $30 a month for the unlimited data plan?....? What's the deal? Did they cancel it all together or did they upgrade me to a $30 plan? Or am I confused out of the loop?

EDIT: Looks like they signed me up for the $45 plan. I dropped it down to the $30 plan. But dang that still sucks! $30 bucks for the internet on my phone? Wtf...? I'm gonna use this method and tether it right now to my laptop. I pay $30 for the internet, $15 for unlimited texting, $5 for insurance and then the plan. So $50 just for features... That bites.

EDIT2: Wahoo it tethers great :rolleyes: Awesome job. Works like a beaut. Still bummed about $30 a month for it.

Edited by smashedpumpkins

Guest joshica
That would be correct. the $30/mo plan allows your phone to access data, it's an additional $15/MO to tether. This gets around that.

This is not correct....If you tether and VZW knows, you will pay 59.99 like everyone else. That would be the 44.99 plus the 15.00 for tethering. They won't let you tether and pay the 29.99 plan. I guess they don't feel it is fair to those that use their USB dongles to tether.

However, as said earlier, the only thing you lose by going to the 29.99 plan from the 44.99 plan is the "Wireless Sync" feature that VZW has. I had paid 44.99 for 2 years as well and didn't realize this. I recently switched after being assured by the VZW tech that it is no different for my needs. They were right. I could still tether and have my e-mail pushed to my phone. Wish I could have that $$ back I paid and didn't need to.

Now is there a way to add security since this connection now is open to anyone that sits next to my phone. How do I set it so only me only my laptop has access my omnia internet connection sharing. Thanks.