[FIXED 12-5-08!!]Tethering on the I910 Verizon Omnia?

Guest somedude

Guest paradizelost
Hey..guess what guys...

badword THIS PHONE! I just returned it and reactivated my old treo 700...

It's a POS and all you people trying to polish a turd is quite hilarious. My Verizon contract expires in May...Tmobile G1 here I come. At least it's open source, the GPS isn't locked, and I won't get nickle and dimed...

badword Verizon, badword this phone, badword it's burning my hands and clunky performance...

Has any one seen that GPS constilation app on the G1? it'll make you want one...

I wish i could do like you, but there are only 2 choices around here for cell phone. Verizon and Alltel. what i wouldn't give to get tmobile or even *GASP* AT&T

Guest NubianSista

AWESOME WORK OctaneMS!

This worked great on my i910 without any issues...now all I need is someone like you to crack that darn GPS block so I don't have to pay for Verizon's VZ Navigator :rolleyes:

Many Thanks!

~Nubian~

Guest NubianSista
Has anyone successfully tethered their i910 omnia yet or what?

Yes, I was able to tether my laptop with my Omnia with out any problems!! :rolleyes:

~Nubian~

Update!

Since I've gotten the internet share and wifi to work on my phone now I'm unable to (active) sync to my computer. I've tried everything including disconnecting from my internet share and wifi but nothing happens...has anyone else had this problem if so I would really appreciate if you could send me your solution??

Thanks in Advance!

EDIT

Just wanted to inform you guys that I got my phone to sync with my computer...not sure how or why but I just removed active sync and reinstalled it and it worked!

Edited by NubianSista

Guest smilepak

What I notice after several hard reset....this method seems to work more stable in a non TF2D environment. In TF2D, I have to run WMWIFIROUTER several times for it to work.

But once it connects, nice speed. What is said is on WMWIFIROUTER, there is no disconnect function.

Guest IMAPper

Does this work with Mac? I have a MacBook Pro and when I run the Internet Sharing app and click "Connect", it just says, "Check USB cable connection" and my Mac has no connectivity. Yes, the cable is connected. :rolleyes: When I click "Disconnect", the Omnia shows up in the Finder as an external drive again. (I'm just trying to share the connection via USB, not over WiFi).

If I run Windows XP under Parallels (VM) and connect to that via USB, Windows can see the device as an external drive as well, and when I click "Connect" in the Internet Sharing screen it says "Connected", and an ipconfig command shows a Local Area Connection to a Windows Mobile-based Internet Sharing Device with Connection-specific DNS Suffix swisscom.com, so something is happening, but I get a DNS error if I try to find any web pages. I suppose there might be some kind of tweaking to do in the Parallels settings, although what I really want to do is share the Omnia's connection with the host Mac OS, not just with Windows in the VM.

What am I missing here? Is anyone thethering their Omnia to a Mac laptop via USB? Or any other WM device for that matter?

Guest DiamondsTip

Happy to report this works with Linux. But what would "Big Red" do if they caught us? Has this been a popular method for tethering verizon phones in the past? Has anyone been caught?

Guest somedude
Happy to report this works with Linux. But what would "Big Red" do if they caught us? Has this been a popular method for tethering verizon phones in the past? Has anyone been caught?

Screw Verizon. They shouldnt be charging us to tether anyway.

Im not sure how they can 'catch' us.

All they can see is how much bandwidth we use each month. How can they tell if we are using it on the phones browser or through tethering?

Either way, this shouldnt be a service we are charge for. Big Red is just a bunch of greedy crooks.

No matter what they try to do to cheat us out of our money, there will be forums like this to find work arounds.

I just feel sorry for the people who actually pay for services like tethering and gps because they dont know any better.

Edited by somedude

Guest DiamondsTip
Screw Verizon. They shouldnt be charging us to tether anyway.

Im not sure how they can 'catch' us.

All they can see is how much bandwidth we use each month. How can they tell if we are using it on the phones browser or through tethering?

Either way, this shouldnt be a service we are charge for. Big Red is just a bunch of greedy crooks.

No matter what they try to do to cheat us out of our money, there will be forums like this to find work arounds.

I just feel sorry for the people who actually pay for services like tethering and gps because they dont know any better.

I agree, hell they got sued over GPS I'm surprised they have not been sued over this. And it would be very easy for verizon to tell. Fingerprinting an IP address or even a subnet of address's is very easy even with a tool like NMap. If they cant tell by your OS Fingerprint itll be the ports open on your PC and if none itll be the name of your browser. While they are perfectly within their rights to scan their network for such things it might be considered an invasion of privacy to most. Hopefully they dont do it because they dont want to be sued again lol. I've tried tethering my omnia to my laptop and then running a scan on it but the trouble is my reception is so very poor where i live (0 to 1 bars usualy) that a simple scan knocks my phone offline.

Edited by DiamondsTip

Guest Logger01
uh-oh. I am getting a error message:

"Cannot connect for an unknown reason. To change your connection settings, tap settings."

I know i have internet access because i am using opera browser right now.

Same problem, have you found a work around or solution?

Guest dwallersv

How to: Get Wifi Tethering working on the Verizon Omnia I910

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.
    (You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)
  2. Restart your phone.
  3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".
  5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".
  6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.
  7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.
  11. Select "Connect"
  12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".
  13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.
  14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.

Worked like a charm, following your instructions exactly. Getting 800kbps down, 700 up testing via the flash8 tester on dslreports.

Now, as soon as VZW unlocks the GPS, my anger with them, and compromises I had to make to get an Omnia in my hands will no longer be a problem. I got fed up with ATT and their delays, my contract was up, so I told them to shove it. Also, where I live, UMTS is very spotty (Scotts Valley, CA, and the Santa Cruz, CA area generally). OTOH, Verizon seems to have good EVDO coverage all around here.

If only they weren't such tools.

Posted this from my tethered laptop via my 2 day old Omnia... Thanks a ton, OctaneMS!

Edited by dwallersv

Guest Logger01
Worked like a charm, following your instructions exactly. Getting 800kbps down, 700 up testing via the flash8 tester on dslreports.

Now, as soon as VZW unlocks the GPS, my anger with them, and compromises I had to make to get an Omnia in my hands will no longer be a problem. I got fed up with ATT and their delays, my contract was up, so I told them to shove it. Also, where I live, UMTS is very spotty (Scotts Valley, CA, and the Santa Cruz, CA area generally). OTOH, Verizon seems to have good EVDO coverage all around here.

If only they weren't such tools.

Posted this from my tethered laptop via my 2 day old Omnia... Thanks a ton, OctaneMS!

When I tried to connect as in step 4, I get the "cannot connect for unknown reasons..." did you work through this problem or did you not get it?

Guest dwallersv
When I tried to connect as in step 4, I get the "cannot connect for unknown reasons..." did you work through this problem or did you not get it?

Nope, didn't have that problem. I've seen it intermittently before when connecting with a very weak signal, however completely unrelated to this tethering stuff.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Guest Logger01
Nope, didn't have that problem. I've seen it intermittently before when connecting with a very weak signal, however completely unrelated to this tethering stuff.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Thanks for your reply, maybe someone else has had this following problem and can help.

Can not get ICS to get connected. Get message "cannot connect for unknown reasons. To change your connection settings, tap settings" Won't connect with stock verizon "Broadband Connection". Have tried setting up a new connection #777, user [email protected] password vzw; still get same message, but can connect through this new connection to browse internet. WMWiFIRouter works and can I can wifi connect to it, but no interent because no ics connection. Any further help on getting this icsinstall.cab to work would be appreciated. Picked up the Verizon Omnia last week 1-3-08. CE OS 5.2.20276 (Build 20276.1.3.3) I'm taking it back if I can't get it to work. Thanks in advance

Guest krelvinaz

I assume you have done a soft-reset...

I followed the instructions back when it was first posted and had no issues. I've only used it about 5 or 6 times though as I have a WWAN card on my notebook already which is faster.

Guest Logger01
I assume you have done a soft-reset...

I followed the instructions back when it was first posted and had no issues. I've only used it about 5 or 6 times though as I have a WWAN card on my notebook already which is faster.

Thanks for your reply...

Yes, soft reset as well as hard reset to main memeory and reinstall and try again. The FM radio does not work on this phone either, and that is after ther verizon store technical support as well as text message and phone tech support from Samsung. Hopefully someone else hsa had this problem and can shed some light on it.

Guest Logger01
Thanks for your reply...

Yes, soft reset as well as hard reset to main memeory and reinstall and try again. The FM radio does not work on this phone either, and that is after ther verizon store technical support as well as text message and phone tech support from Samsung. Hopefully someone else hsa had this problem and can shed some light on it.

Happy to report that I have now got it to work and can now tether my Ipaq. If anyone cannot get the FM radio working, I figured that out as well, but it was painfully obvious... it will not work in vibrate, you must have a ringer on! I feel stupid, but what about the verison tech syupport that I spent an hour with, and what about the samsung tech support that verison called in when they could not figure it our, another half hour... they told me to take the phone back and get a new one! Wow if I were them I woudl feel really stupid!

Guest bryancruise

How to: Get Wifi Tethering working on the Verizon Omnia I910

**** If you have installed any other ICS files before you will need to do a hard reset. ****

Use the files I have attached.

1. Download/Install the attached "ICSInstall.CAB" file.
    (You may not need to do 2 - 6 but this is how I got it to work.)
  2. Restart your phone.
  3. Test the install by Connecting the USB cable to your computer.
  4. Then run "IntShrUI" from the Programs Menu and select "Connect".
  5. If done correctly the program should display "Connected".
  6. Now select "Disconnect" and disconnect the USB cable.
  7. Download/Install the attached "WMWifiRouter91.CAB" file.
  8. Restart your phone.
  9. Turn on Wifi.
  10. Run WMWifiRouter from the Programs Menu.
  11. Select "Connect"
  12. If done correctly the program should display "Connected to WMWifiRouter Ready".
  13. From your computer search for the "WMWifiRouter" wireless connection.
  14. Now have fun surfing the web from anywhere.
*You may need to restart your phone and repeat steps 10 - 14 a few times to get it to work.

Worked like it should have right out of the box! Many thanks to you!

Guest AnyOldName

Just got it working on the first try. I followed the instructions step by step, not skipping anything. I'm posting this message via the new WiFi connection right now.

AND.... according to www.speakeasy.net/speedtest I'm getting a relatively impressive DL speed: 1272 down and 181 up. I thought the EVDO network topped out around 900k.

Thanks for all the hard work. Will post more once I've had time to play with it.

AON.

This works pisser! Took a couple of tried to get it to connect, but i think it has to do with my signal. Works on Win7 Build 7000 and is even charging the phone too... Very sweet...

Guest greymatter

I'm having issues and can't find the answer anywhere... I got everything installed as directed, launch WMWifi Router and connect... My laptop finds it, connects, gets an IP address, but I'm not able to go to any websites. I'm almost positive this isn't related to my installation, but rather my laptop setup... Anybody else have issues like this and how did you solve them? If you have an idea what is going on, how would you solve it?

Guest dwallersv
Just got it working on the first try. I followed the instructions step by step, not skipping anything. I'm posting this message via the new WiFi connection right now.

AND.... according to www.speakeasy.net/speedtest I'm getting a relatively impressive DL speed: 1272 down and 181 up. I thought the EVDO network topped out around 900k.

That was the "old" EVDO from a few years ago. There's some sort of new-gen version that Verizon has been rolling out that goes much faster -- I think up to 3Mbps.

I'm getting as much as 1500/500kbps here in my home in Scotts Valley, CA, with 2 signal bars. Speed depends on how congensted the tower your connected to is. I can get these DSL-like speeds pretty consistently at night... during the day, I usually consistently see 6-700/400kbps in the same location.