Memory Map GPS display

Guest TheNerd

Has anybody used the Memory Map software on the Touch HD? I'm curious as to the compatibility of the GPS and the display on the WVGA screen.

I have. It's pretty good except that the Memory Map icon bar at the bottom of the screen doesn't show properly. However it is very useable and it seems to work well for me.

Guest TheNerd

I'm getting mixed results. As mentioned above, the icons on the menu bar show as blacked out (but when clicked on they appear OK) and I can not load the maps??? If I send only a portion of the map then it seems to work OK, but it is literally only when the map is a few Megabytes in size. Sending the whole map just gives me a "Could not open file..." error.

I'm not sure if this is because there is a file size limit (although it worked OK on my HTC Wizard/MDA Vario) or if maybe it is down to the licensing cock-a-hoop that Memory Map version 5.2.7 throws into the works.

I'm pretty certain that if people are watching full size movies on their Touch HD then it is not down to a filesize limit. The maps I'm trying are only about 200Mb in size and they were fine on the Vario, but the Vario would not load anything bigger (e.g. 300Mb used to lock it up - I can't remember the error but I had to cut up some bigger maps into portions so it would work.) I was hoping that the Touch HD with it's superb screen and faster processor/more memory would handle the software like a dream. When it does work (on the tiny portion map) it looks fantastic, but it obviously needs a bit of polish to get it looking the way it should.

Memory Map UK don't seem to have things going on at the moment (the forum from their site has disappeared and is not being restored) and the only software update in recent years was to add the license restrictions - not much of an update really :rolleyes:

Has anybody tried any other mapping software like this, e.g Anquet? I would really like to see a PDA compatible version of Tracklogs. I'm so disappointed the Memory Map software is not working well. I thought it would be the bees knees on the Touch!

I've mentioned it before, but I'd like to see ViewRanger ported from S60 to WM. It's really good for walking around the parks, even going as far as being able to render labelled 1st-person images of the landscape around you.

Guest TheNerd

I've had my eye on that Viewranger software for a while, and it certainly looks to be the best 'on device' software with some brilliant features. They seem to be introducing mapping for more countries too so I hope they have a PocketPC development team in the works! I suppose there is a chance to run it on some emulation software but I doubt it would be a very good solution.

Guest TheNerd

Just in case anybody was wondering, my Memory-Map GPS settings on the Touch HD are:

Manufacturer: NMEA

Port: COM4

Baud: 4800

I thought the in-built GPS would be the GPS0 com port to use but it turns out it is on com port 4 for some reason, and the baud rate of 4800 is not the fastest setting you can use but I heard somewhere that GPS signals are not sent any quicker so I thought it might save a few CPU cycles and maybe some battery power.

I'm getting mixed results. As mentioned above, the icons on the menu bar show as blacked out (but when clicked on they appear OK) and I can not load the maps??? If I send only a portion of the map then it seems to work OK, but it is literally only when the map is a few Megabytes in size. Sending the whole map just gives me a "Could not open file..." error.

I'm not sure if this is because there is a file size limit (although it worked OK on my HTC Wizard/MDA Vario) or if maybe it is down to the licensing cock-a-hoop that Memory Map version 5.2.7 throws into the works.

I'm pretty certain that if people are watching full size movies on their Touch HD then it is not down to a filesize limit. The maps I'm trying are only about 200Mb in size and they were fine on the Vario, but the Vario would not load anything bigger (e.g. 300Mb used to lock it up - I can't remember the error but I had to cut up some bigger maps into portions so it would work.) I was hoping that the Touch HD with it's superb screen and faster processor/more memory would handle the software like a dream. When it does work (on the tiny portion map) it looks fantastic, but it obviously needs a bit of polish to get it looking the way it should.

Memory Map UK don't seem to have things going on at the moment (the forum from their site has disappeared and is not being restored) and the only software update in recent years was to add the license restrictions - not much of an update really :rolleyes:

Has anybody tried any other mapping software like this, e.g Anquet? I would really like to see a PDA compatible version of Tracklogs. I'm so disappointed the Memory Map software is not working well. I thought it would be the bees knees on the Touch!

THis seems to be a known problem on most Win 6.1 devices and sometimes to a lesser extent on 6.0. On my HD the file size limit for Memory maps is about 120Mb. However this seems to be dependant on remaining free memory on the device, so if lots of other stuff running the max file size may be smaller. Usually find that if there is a problem switching off apps or soft -reseting fixes it. On my previous WM 6.0 devices (Touch and MWG Atom Life) the max file sixe was much larger so full maps which wont work on the HD would work on them. At present only answer seems to be to keep all maps on the HD below about 100Mb, a nuiscance but seems to work. This can easy be achived by creating smaller map portions in the PC software. Memory Maps are apparently aware of the problem but no idea if they plan to do anything about it.

Guest TheNerd
THis seems to be a known problem on most Win 6.1 devices ... this seems to be dependant on remaining free memory on the device...
Various reports like this but the size limit is very restricting. I was looking forward to putting the whole of the UK 1:50000 map on a microSD card. I'd at least be happy if I could get the A-Z GB Superscale map on in one go (202 Mb). Do you think a Page File Tweak could do anything about this?

...Memory Maps are apparently aware of the problem but no idea if they plan to do anything about it.
Don't bank on it!

Just got my blackstone today and this was one of the first programs I installed as I wanted to see what the maps look like on the screen and was not disappointed. Even at max zoom there is plenty of map shown and so should be great out in the hills.

I also wanted to put all the 1:50,000 maps on one card and when i got my kaiser I spent a few hours cutting all the maps in half so that the kaiser would load them. On the blackstone they are too big so looks like I will need to spend another few hours cutting them in half again!

Various reports like this but the size limit is very restricting. I was looking forward to putting the whole of the UK 1:50000 map on a microSD card. I'd at least be happy if I could get the A-Z GB Superscale map on in one go (202 Mb). Do you think a Page File Tweak could do anything about this?

Don't bank on it!

No idea about the Page File Tweak, might be worth looking into.

No chance of the Superscale in one 202MB file as you have probably realized. Certainly possiblt to have all the 1:50000's on an SD but as dave_a says you just need to spend some time cutting maps up or one of the numerous Memory Map options for putting smaller portions on the mobile device. Not at all ideal, but I dont know of any alternatives yet, and to be honest the money I've spent on maps It would have to stop working completly before I looked at alternatives.

No idea about the Page File Tweak, might be worth looking into.

No chance of the Superscale in one 202MB file as you have probably realized. Certainly possiblt to have all the 1:50000's on an SD but as dave_a says you just need to spend some time cutting maps up or one of the numerous Memory Map options for putting smaller portions on the mobile device. Not at all ideal, but I dont know of any alternatives yet, and to be honest the money I've spent on maps It would have to stop working completly before I looked at alternatives.

Changing the page file to 32mb on my X1 just means the maps load faster, I'm also getting large maps unable to load.

Changing the page file to 32mb on my X1 just means the maps load faster, I'm also getting large maps unable to load.

Cheers for those bits of info. Sounds like page file may not help. Also interesting to know of another WM 6.1 device with the same problem. I've read sugestions on xda developers that there is a relationship between the max file size you can open and available free memory. Certainly that seems to be roughtly the case on the HD, approx 100MB free memory 100Mb map opens up etc. However that was obviously not the case on my older WM 6.0 devices. The Touch typically had about 20Mb free memory but could open up maps of at least 150Mb, sometimes much bigger? Any thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kishoo

Regarding the problem with the HD not being able to open memory map files greater than 100mb does any one have an overlay that does this that they are willing to share ?

Regards

Kishoo

Edited by kishoo

Guest TheNerd

If you cut the larger map files into manageable chunks for the HD (ie about 90-100Mb), does the search function return results only for the smaller area map. In other words if I have a small section map loaded for say the South West, but I search for a town or village in the North East, will it find and return it and load the appropriate North East Map, or will it not return anything because it is not in the South East section?

[EDIT]Nevermind...

Managed to test this myself - didn't realise I had a couple of sections already loaded!

Result: The place is not found unless it is within the small section of map currently loaded. (Even if it is on another map on the device). Boooo. :)

[/EDIT]

Edited by TheNerd