Well, you'll be pleased to hear that HTC have a HotFix available for download NOW here on their support site.
Hot fix to enhance response time for HTC Touch HD
Date: 2008-12-04 Category: Hotfix
Sometimes the screen stops responding for about 3 to 5 seconds when running an application that needs to use the stylus to click the screen repeatedly within a short time. For example, the windows built-in software like SMS, email, solitaire, etc.
Installation Instructions: Follow the instructions below to install this software onto your device.
Note: This hot fix can only be installed in ROM version less than 1.19.xxx.x. To check your ROM version, tap Start > Settings > System tab > Device Information to confirm the ROM version.
Follow the instructions below to download and install the hot fix on your device:
To install the hot fix, tap the .exe file and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Make sure you have Microsoft ActiveSync® installed on your Windows XP PC orWindowsMobileDeviceCenteron your Windows Vista® PC. You can find Microsoft ActiveSync from this link or Windows Mobile Device Center from this link.
- Connect and synchronize your device with your PC via Microsoft ActiveSync® orWindowsMobileDeviceCenterusing the USB cable.
- To download the hot fix, first select the check box below. Next, select the hot fix and the desired FTP site then click Download.
- Copy the hot fix, which is an .exe file, to your device.
* If you perform a hard reset of your device, you need to reinstall the hot fix after the hard reset.
A very annoying bug and a very welcome fix (that seems to work!)