Basic Tutorial...........

Guest spanomnia

Guest spanomnia

Hi, this is my first forray into a windows based phone with my new Samsung Omnia. I have no real issues other than I would love to have the basic OS in English. I have read with some trepidation and

horror some of the step needed to just basically flash a rom. Could any of you kind souls point me

to a step by step guide to just changing the OS to English. I am in Spanish at the moment on Vodafone

PDA; i900XJHH1/SPHH1 I found the newest UK rom using the "view Source" cheat to get through to the rom download

on the samsung site but i´m still having trouble distinguishing if the simple flashing of this rom (MSHJ3) will put me into english, my posts go unanswered and I feel like i must be posting

in the wrong area being a beginner, and upseting the guys who are happy hex editing and the like.

I can live with all of the vodafone stuff as i will just ignore it but if it gets rid without affecting my phones functionality, then thats fine also...

I have no chance to take the phone to a Vodafone centre as i live on a tiny spanish island in the atlantic - they dont even have covers for the phone yet and i have had it 3 weeks.!

My only chance is with one of your talented posters guiding me to where i should be

Guest spanomnia
Hi, this is my first forray into a windows based phone with my new Samsung Omnia. I have no real issues other than I would love to have the basic OS in English. I have read with some trepidation and

horror some of the step needed to just basically flash a rom. Could any of you kind souls point me

to a step by step guide to just changing the OS to English. I am in Spanish at the moment on Vodafone

PDA; i900XJHH1/SPHH1 I found the newest UK rom using the "view Source" cheat to get through to the rom download

on the samsung site but i´m still having trouble distinguishing if the simple flashing of this rom (MSHJ3) will put me into english, my posts go unanswered and I feel like i must be posting

in the wrong area being a beginner, and upseting the guys who are happy hex editing and the like.

I can live with all of the vodafone stuff as i will just ignore it but if it gets rid without affecting my phones functionality, then thats fine also...

I have no chance to take the phone to a Vodafone centre as i live on a tiny spanish island in the atlantic - they dont even have covers for the phone yet and i have had it 3 weeks.!

My only chance is with one of your talented posters guiding me to where i should be

MMMM...........while i was typing the above i was going through the official samsung update route in spanish to go from XJHH1 toXJHJ2 to try to clear up the sleep of death problem and its coming back at me with the "incorrect version" error, so i cant even update the official way in the (operators) preferred lanuage

Guest spanomnia

Have i still come to the wrong place - i would have thought absolute beginner would be the place to start?

My problem lies with the fact that i need to change a spanish OS with an English one on the i900. Di I really need to be messing with the registry and stuff just to do that?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MrJoneswii
Have i still come to the wrong place - i would have thought absolute beginner would be the place to start?

My problem lies with the fact that i need to change a spanish OS with an English one on the i900. Di I really need to be messing with the registry and stuff just to do that?

LOL guys, I was in the EXACT f*ing situation, I bought the omnia from Vodafone Spain in Madrid, and even though my Spanish is mas o menos ok, i prefered to have it in English.

So what I did is this:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...hings-go-wrong/

It doesn't upgrade your phone cause it's still the HH1 rom, but at least it will be in english. After that you can upgrade your firmware to newer ones.

I'm right now on the official HK3 for singapore rom.

If you get the incorrect version error, do this:

• Press the 'dial' key to the left of the optical pad to bring up the dialer
  • With the onscreen keypad input *#1546792*#
  • Select 'Preconfiguration'
  • Enter code *#81230*# and select OK
  • Select 'Singapore', with the default Operator
  • Accept this, DEVICE WILL HARD RESET
  • Run update, and all should be well.

If you guys need more help, just let me know. I thought I was screwed after I turn on my phone and found out that my phone told me Hola, instead of Hellow.

Guest spanomnia
LOL guys, I was in the EXACT f*ing situation, I bought the omnia from Vodafone Spain in Madrid, and even though my Spanish is mas o menos ok, i prefered to have it in English.

So what I did is this:

http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-h...hings-go-wrong/

It doesn't upgrade your phone cause it's still the HH1 rom, but at least it will be in english. After that you can upgrade your firmware to newer ones.

I'm right now on the official HK3 for singapore rom.

If you get the incorrect version error, do this:

If you guys need more help, just let me know. I thought I was screwed after I turn on my phone and found out that my phone told me Hola, instead of Hellow.

Oh man - it worked - cleared so much up - i was so certain this level of fiddling was gonna brick the phone and indeed a couple of times impatience kicked in and the old nerves started wobbling but following the instructions to the letter was very simple to do and I now have my beloved omnia in my native language and all the original vodafone settings intact.

Thank you so much - I guess the thing i was looking for most was reassurance from someone in a similar situation, IE Vodafone Spain, to go through it and make sure i wasnt gonna cock it all up.

I did have to do the change to singapore which became available after the grand prix part .. it was ignored before i did that. gonna try unlocking it now for when i visit UK and OZ again........... will report back.

Thanks again, and i urge anyone with any reservations to follow the instructions above to the letter - it worked form and i´m a really happy bunny. Gracias Sñr Jones.

Guest MrJoneswii
Oh man - it worked - cleared so much up - i was so certain this level of fiddling was gonna brick the phone and indeed a couple of times impatience kicked in and the old nerves started wobbling but following the instructions to the letter was very simple to do and I now have my beloved omnia in my native language and all the original vodafone settings intact.

Thank you so much - I guess the thing i was looking for most was reassurance from someone in a similar situation, IE Vodafone Spain, to go through it and make sure i wasnt gonna cock it all up.

I did have to do the change to singapore which became available after the grand prix part .. it was ignored before i did that. gonna try unlocking it now for when i visit UK and OZ again........... will report back.

Thanks again, and i urge anyone with any reservations to follow the instructions above to the letter - it worked form and i´m a really happy bunny. Gracias Sñr Jones.

You're welcome, just make sure to not forget about this forum cause I'm sure that now you've gotten the flavor of modifying your phone, you'll have an unstoppable hunger that can only be satisfied here.

grtz xxx

P.S: it's Sñra Jones

Guest spanomnia
You're welcome, just make sure to not forget about this forum cause I'm sure that now you've gotten the flavor of modifying your phone, you'll have an unstoppable hunger that can only be satisfied here.

grtz xxx

P.S: it's Sñra Jones

Cool..................thanks Mrs Jones...........meeee annndddd mrs................mrs jones..............lol

so how different is the hk3 rom to the hh1 - I have to admit the HH1 rom has never given me any problems apart from initially having the sleep of death syndrome at the start, but that cleared its self after my first hard reset.........but the non vodafone version is much better so far.........

gonna have a play around with if for a while before i commit to any other changes ...... but you are right, i´m gonna stick around in this forum for the long term, theres loads of great links to games and other software and tips and tweeks and stuff.