Omnia not working on o2

Guest Ryuboi

Hi all. I am new to this site and need some questions answered. Sorry if they have been asked before. I purchased a Vodafone Omnia from a well known auction site and put my o2 sim into it. I got the settings for the mms and internet from the Samsung website and thought all was fine. I can use verything apart form the internet as it keeps trying to go to a Vadafone page. o2 say it is locked to the Vodafone site and Omnia is not supported by them so wouldn't help. I have read all the posts about firmware upgrades and have no clue what I am doing. I did an upgrade through the Samsung site and all went fine but it didn't erase the Vodafone rubbish. I don't understand it enough to use any of the other downloads as described on this forum. So the questions are:

1. Do I give up and put it back on the auction site?

2. Buy an Orange/Tmobile one and hope that they work?

3. Take it into a dodgy repair/unlocking shop and see if they can do it?

4. Is there somewhere else I can take it to get it flashed?

Thanks

Guest Nost@lgia
Hi all. I am new to this site and need some questions answered. Sorry if they have been asked before. I purchased a Vodafone Omnia from a well known auction site and put my o2 sim into it. I got the settings for the mms and internet from the Samsung website and thought all was fine. I can use verything apart form the internet as it keeps trying to go to a Vadafone page. o2 say it is locked to the Vodafone site and Omnia is not supported by them so wouldn't help. I have read all the posts about firmware upgrades and have no clue what I am doing. I did an upgrade through the Samsung site and all went fine but it didn't erase the Vodafone rubbish. I don't understand it enough to use any of the other downloads as described on this forum. So the questions are:

Thanks

Interesting. Now I live in Istanbul,Turkey, When I went to London early Dec, I just bought O2 sim card to have some phone calls with my Omnia ( I bought my Omnia in Turkey and had official rom and settings at that time)

And I just checked my Omnia at phoneshop in London(phoneware house or something. cant remember lol)

anyway My phone was available and I bought and used O2 sim card.

but I coudn't connect to EDGE or 3G cuz O2 policy only allows it on registered mobiles for O2..

and I tried O2 sim card with V09 m2d custom rom and I still can use it in Turkey (auto roaming.. wow O2!)

anyway for ur reference....

good luck dude.

Edited by Nost@lgia

Guest bony25

Hi. I have the same problem. The Omnia (unlocked) works fine on 02 (phone calls, messaging, home WiFi etc) but it won't connect to the internet via Edge or 3G despite my having bought the 02 web bolt on. Opera just hangs. Any ideas from you experts out there? Thanks, Bony 25

Guest philcat

Thanks

Ok just for you. I did the same, or very similar when I bought an unbranded but locked (to Orange) handset from the same place! My advice is to read the threads above, there is one about unlocking if you need it. Then go to the Custom Rom thread by taril, http://www.modaco.com/content/i9x0-omnia-r...rom-04-01-2009/ download the latest, BUT also the rom of 31/12/2008. To upgrade you just connect and press a button, so not too hard. You need the rom of 31/12/2008 so that if things go wrong you can get back to the original firmware which is a little more complex, but not too hard.

I've just pulled my 3UK SIM out & put a SIM only deal I have from O2 in and after a little fiddling with the settings for connections I was straight on the web with Opera. If the phone is unlocked the reason it goes to a vodaphone page is probably because that is the preset homepage. My phone was locked to Orange, now it works on anything, has no branding and does all I want. I've pointed you to the ROM to use, search about unlocking & settings if you need them, you can download MMS and Internet settings as .cab files that you just click on to install.

So I'd keep it and read how to make it the phone you really want!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fubaruk

o2 direct dont do the phone cos is clashes with iphone , however if u go into carphone warehouse u can get it on o2 , so take it to carphone warehouse and get one of there phone geeks to take a look , mine was similar locked to orange internet ??? they fixed mine , been ace since ,

Guest Neil5459

A few quick points

If you can access everything except the Internet, then the device is NOT locked to any provider. Vodafone and O2 don't lock their devices anyway, whereas T-Mobile and Orange do, so the latter 2 would need unlocking

Have you tried going to Settings/Connections/Connections and removing all the existing settings, before manually entering the new ones for O2? remember that O2 use different settings for contract and PAYG SIMs.

Which browser are you using? It is likely that both Opera and Pocket IE will be set to access Vodafone as a home page, which is why the page won't load. You need to remove any home page settings, then once the connections settings are correct, it ought to connect.

3G/Edge: O2 don't have any way of limiting this access, as long as the SIM card is O2, and it is 3G capable. A lot of older O2 SIM cards are not 3G compatible. Also, O2 don't allow full web access with PAYG cards, and limit these to O2WAP pages. New PAYG SIMs may now allow full web access, but I'm not certain.

do you use correct setting for gprs on O2 PAYG?

Open Connections

Select the Add new modem connection directly below My Internet

Select Enter a name for the connection and type o2web (make sure you enter this in lower case letters – please note that o is a letter and not a number)

If the keyboard does not automatically appear, press the red circular logo at the bottom of the screen. To change between writing text and numbers press the sym 123 or Text buttons

Press Select a modem and select Cellular line (GPRS 3G)

Press Next

Type mobile.o2.co.uk in Access point name (make sure you enter this in lower case letters – please note that o is a letter and not a number)

Press Next

Type o2web in User name

Select Password

Type in a password you can remember

Use the scroll bar in the top right corner to move down the screen. Press the Advanced button

Press the shaded Servers button

Select Use specific server address and tap the DNS box. Enter 193.113.200.200

Tap the Alt DNS box and enter 193.113.200.201

Select OK > Finish