Are there no more candy bar no-touchscreen Smartphone ?

Guest csc12345678

Guest csc12345678

I'm currently using O2 Graphite. I like it cause it small and no touchscreen. I can get a case that completely wraps it and protect it. And it serves all my needs. I don't need touchscreen, slide, clampshell, keyboard. But it seems like there are not more such phones ? Anyone knows if there are any plans by any vendor to produce such phones ?

Thanks.

Guest richair

The closest you get right now is the HTC s740. Granted, it has a slide-out keyboard (which is one of the frills you don't want), but you could just not-use it. The overal thickness of the device is not greater than the good-old HTC Tornado.

But you're not the only one who raises this question, see the discussion on the forum when the s740 came out. Best bet right now is to go for the s740, since all development seems to be going into touch screen devices. Too bad IMHO...

Guest spacerace
But not available in Singapore.

well its available sim free on the HP website so you could get it that way, i'm not sure about network compatibility over there but its quad band at least...

Guest spacerace
What is it like to use?

To be honest I'm struggling with it - but I think I may have a duff one.

I bought it to use an Orange SIM in and it registers on the orange network no problem, but then I found I was getting strange lockup problems. If you take the SIM out it works fine, I then tried putting a Vodafone SIM in and got less but similar problems. I can't make a call (just shows Dialling...) and certain settings menus (e.g. Settings - More - Security) cause the phone to appear that's it locked up. You can press the Home button and get back to things ok, but that menu will remain inaccessible - which is just weird.

However - without a SIM the phone functions pretty well, the optical sensor takes a bit of getting used to but even with limited playtime I'm quite happy with it. HP has it's own 6.1 homescreen which is mainly just a colour themed version of the MS 6.1 one, and that's nice and easy to use. It has GPS too but I haven't really had time to play with that yet.

Vodafone support will be getting a call tomorrow and I'll try a different unit and hope the problems go away.

Guest csc12345678

What's the model of this phone ? When I search HP Ipaq Voice Messanger, I get all a older models as well. I don't seem to be able to search for this new model.

well its available sim free on the HP website so you could get it that way, i'm not sure about network compatibility over there but its quad band at least...

Guest spacerace

when I searched on google I used 'HP voice messenger -514' which removes results for the older model (some still creep in) making it easier to find the (few) results for the newer model. you can get more details from the Vodafone link above...

Guest spacerace

itsd very odd! like I said I can only assume its a bad phone. there aren't many people who seem to have them so its hard to say if its widespread or not.

Guest dnmartin98
itsd very odd! like I said I can only assume its a bad phone. there aren't many people who seem to have them so its hard to say if its widespread or not.

If oyu are looking for a candybar smartphone you could do worse than the BenQ E72 doing the rounds at the moment. We have been Tmobile SDA users for a few years and our phones (two of them) both mysteriously crapped out together about 1 month ago. Not wanting to spend a fortune at this time, in the hopes that WM7 may make an appearance in 1-1.5 years (wishful thinking it seems) we found BenQ E72's on expansys web site for about $120 each. Its a rocking little smartphone if you don't want it to fly to the moon and back. Should hold us over easily for a year or so while MS gets it stuff together...or not!

They sell in the UK and in the USA...and other places too I think.

http://www.expansys.com/

Hope that helps...

DavidM

• 4 weeks later...
I'm currently using O2 Graphite. I like it cause it small and no touchscreen. I can get a case that completely wraps it and protect it. And it serves all my needs. I don't need touchscreen, slide, clampshell, keyboard. But it seems like there are not more such phones ? Anyone knows if there are any plans by any vendor to produce such phones ?

Thanks.

Go grab a Benq E72 from www.expansys.co.uk I have one and it rocks!!! Cheap too; if you order today (Friday Feb13th) you will get it at £80.00