from a Laptop (WinXP) to Omnia (WM 6.1) over WiFi
1. To make it clear you need to have a cable LAN internet connection going in the laptop as well as a WiFi card fully installed;
also the WiFi has to be activated on the Omnia Phone.
2. SETING UP THE LAPTOP (WIN XP)
A. For Internet sharing use this tutorial: http://cnettv.cnet.c...1_53-28619.html
(the Win XP part is in the second half of the movie)
B. For Files sharing:
- Create a second user account on WinXP (not administrator)
- Disable simple file sharing from Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View
- Right click on any folder in explorer and share the folder (first time press on “just enable file sharing”)
- if you need to send files also in the oposite way, from Omnia to the Laptop you can also activate in the same place Sharing>Permissions>Full control for that specific folder
- some people reported having problems because of the WinXP firewall so keep in mind that in case u can't connect (it works fine for me even with the firewall activated)
3. SETTING UP THE OMNIA (WM 6.1)
A. As soon as the internet sharing is in place on the Laptop, Omnia will find the WiFi network and try to connect (select the same options you did on the Laptop; Shared Network, same 5 characters network access password)
Go to Phone Settings> Connections> Browser Connection and make sure it’s set to “Automatically detect settings”, then check again the same thing in Opera's settings
B. Now, for seeing the files shared by your computer install this "V-Mobile Software Network Browser v1.3" on your phone
Once you opened the “Network Browser” you will see your computer in MSHome Network. Using the same user account and password you've set up in the WinXP accounts you can now connect and access your Laptop shared files from the phone.
*Alternatively, you can use also Resco File Explorer>Menu>File>Network>Map Drive to search for the shared folders
** For people concerned about the security of their computers after all this sharings: both the Internet and Files sharing are quite secure as long as you use some reasonable strong passwords
*** Please note that this tutorial has NOTHING TO DO with sharing Internet and Files from Omnia to a Laptop over WiFi.
If there is somebody who can’t do it, or they have any addition to make to this tutorial, or even other solution please reply to this post.
Edited by Alex81, 11 January 2009 - 12:24 PM.