My Omnia is broken. Can not align the screen

Guest Zohare

I made hard reset and since then stuck on the align screen.

I have made the aligning many times before and I did it easily on my second Omnia

so, Im quite sure it has a defect and needs repairing.

The problem is I bought the Omnia in the US - Ebay (Sim free, I think it was originally from Singapore but I'm not sure) but I live in Israel. No local support for the Omnia.

Any idea how can I repair it? Does Samsung has any world center where I can contact and send then the device?

Thanks.

Did you try another hard reset? I had a similar problem once when the phone just restarted itself after aligning the screen and hard reset fixed that.

And updating firmware wouldn't hurt if you didn't do it allready.

Did you try another hard reset? I had a similar problem once when the phone just restarted itself after aligning the screen and hard reset fixed that.

And updating firmware wouldn't hurt if you didn't do it allready.

I tried 2 different roms, hard reset, everything... I just gave up.

Guest XtremeMaC

My previous phone was imate pda2 and i had just a little dent on the lcd. i had dropped a pen on it from 1m.

I first went to http://www.pdasmart.com/ipaqrepaircenter.htm. i had asked them if HTC Himalaya, o2 XDA II Qtek 2020 's screen fits and they assured me it did. the product came and it did not. the connectors were different. when i told them about it they told me to get it soldered. which i had but its such a small thing it didn't last long. SO DON'T BUT FROM THEM.

Then I found this site http://www.ppctechs.com/ and i've bought the pack: http://www.ppctechs.com/i-mate-PDA2_401/re...ice_403-373.htm

and lcd came and fitted perfectly. ow and i bought other stuff from them. pretty good.

I checked the site they don't have i900. but u could contact them. their support is pretty good.

Edited by XtremeMaC

Do you try to align it by hand or by pen? The correct way is by pen.

I tried with pen many times. Anyway I succeeded at last with my hand (don't know how) but I still feel something is wrong with my screen. I can not succeed aligning it again now (from settings).

The question is if something wrong with my screen can I buy screen only and replace it manually? where can I buy it?

• 1 month later...
Guest bmw528itonto
I tried with pen many times. Anyway I succeeded at last with my hand (don't know how) but I still feel something is wrong with my screen. I can not succeed aligning it again now (from settings).

The question is if something wrong with my screen can I buy screen only and replace it manually? where can I buy it?

Hi All,

I experienced the same and almost all of the annoying aligning problems all of us have had w/ the Omnia. I bought mine in late October '08 and couldn't take it anymore, so I brought it back and complained to the authorized Service Center in my locality ( Cebu, Philippines). The technician looked into my unit, and after examination, advised me that the screen digitizer is indeed defective. After all documents for warranties were checked, copied and submitted, he immediately ordered for a part-replacement for my unit, and advised me that it should be ready for pick up in 2 days time, and they will notify me by phone once ready.

It only took them slightly more than 24 hours (part was shipped w/in the day), and I was able to get back my Omnia, without any cost on my part.

Indeed, our problems with the screen alignment is digitizer related - and now I'm very happy with my unit. Its sensitivity is very very good, only a slight touch is needed for it to work flawlessly.

I suggest for all of you out there who have this same problem, to gather all your warranty papers and go straight back to the Service Center. You will begin to admire and appreciate more your Omnias, too.

Kudos to Samsung for an excellent customer service. I will continue to patronize their products in the future!

Guest maf107ezk0

Hi, try this software allign - it`ll definately work B)

1. Open your Registry Editor(PHM Registry Editor)

2. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICEMAP/TOUCH/

3. Click on CalibrationData

4. Value Data change to > 519,503 177,881 182,129 847,127 849,872

5. Click OK to save it.

• 2 months later...
Guest Mad-Mod
Hi, try this software allign - it`ll definately work <_<

5. Click OK to save it.

open registry editor where? on my omnia? :s

I just updated my firmware to the latest windows mobile 6.5, version 21232

and I'm stuck on the align screen :)

any way I can get around it or fix it?

Guest Mad-Mod
that problem is a common problem for omnias. solution is change panel...

panel as in screen?

...thats well f'd up, init? its not like an isolated prob... most ppl's got it. and abs no way of bypassing this annoying align screen... mmmm

• 2 months later...
Guest mnegutu

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=355010

Use the app provided in the first post of the thread. I had the same problem and it just got worse until it finally stopped working alltogether. The solution was taking it back to the Samsung service center and they replaced it in 3 days for free (of course under warranty).It was the panel that was faulty and made alignment impossible.

Edited by mnegutu

Guest emil_h_

ok, i had the same problem.

thought my phone was broke,

after flashing.

then i tried to align it anyway

it was really annoying,

but somehow the phone works now.

i guess the software skipped the aligning,

after it couldn't do it

Guest venksta

Oook.

LISTEN carefully and sory for the bad English ;)

Turn the phone off

connect with the USB cable to the pc

turn the phone on

now the phone is connected through active sync

on your pc ! - make a new text document (empty),save it with name - welcome.not (not welcome.txt , .NOT) save it!

now copy the new file to your omnia main memory !

disconnect the cable

reset the phone !

READY

and btw your screen is crappy ! like mine,but i live with it :)

and now you can do the registry thing like sayd my RAKIA brother ;)

Guest ely_az
Hi, try this software allign - it`ll definately work :)

5. Click OK to save it.

I have tried hundreds of different calibration values and have never gotten it quite right. What finally fixed this problem for me is to change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICEMAP/TOUCH/MaxCalError key from 7 to 200 and then run the screen alignment again. (Settings->System->Screen) Now everything is perfect and I can actual click directly on things instead of estimating the error. There are topics all over the internet about this problem and no one has suggested this but it is the only thing that worked for me.

Guest monyozt

get an external reg editor like: CeRegit (it is free) http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/

when u connect via activesync, open the regeditor and browse to this path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Welcome] .

change the dword value to below. this will disable the welcome screen.

wait 30 seconds and reboot.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Welcome]

"Disable"=dword:000000FF

Guest noshet

this also happened to me a few months ago...

i ended up taking it in for repair and screen digitizer replacement at Samsung call center...luckily no cost, the warranty was still valid.

For some people who do not have the warranty or bought the omnia overseas, many of them did the digitizer replacement themselves.

Bought the part of the net, and DIY..

There is even a thread on how to do it.

Good luck. :)

• 1 month later...
Guest omnia319
I have tried hundreds of different calibration values and have never gotten it quite right. What finally fixed this problem for me is to change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICEMAP/TOUCH/MaxCalError key from 7 to 200 and then run the screen alignment again. (Settings->System->Screen) Now everything is perfect and I can actual click directly on things instead of estimating the error. There are topics all over the internet about this problem and no one has suggested this but it is the only thing that worked for me.

THANKSSSSSSSSSSSS it works for me

Guest str8tripin
Oook.

LISTEN carefully and sory for the bad English :D

Turn the phone off

turn the phone on

on your pc ! - make a new text document (empty),save it with name - welcome.not (not welcome.txt , .NOT) save it!

disconnect the cable

reset the phone !

READY

and btw your screen is crappy ! like mine,but i live with it :)

and now you can do the registry thing like sayd my RAKIA brother :P

Thank you this worked for me. I haven't used my phone in 2 weeks... my screen got chewed on a little by my dog and calibration has been impossible. I've been waiting over a week for my new digitizer to arrive... now at least I can use my phone until it gets here. I haven't been able to figure out how to bypass the screen alignment so I can just burn a new rom that doesn't use it... Thank you, thank you

• 1 month later...
Guest dubakak

thank you ely_az! you saved my money for new digitizer.

i tried everything and spent many hours by calibrating screen, taping firmly onto the cross but without succes.

this was the only way which work for me:

"I have tried hundreds of different calibration values and have never gotten it quite right. What finally fixed this problem for me is to change the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/HARDWARE/DEVICEMAP/TOUCH/MaxCalError key from 7 to 200 and then run the screen alignment again. (Settings->System->Screen) Now everything is perfect and I can actual click directly on things instead of estimating the error. There are topics all over the internet about this problem and no one has suggested this but it is the only thing that worked for me."

for those, who stayed stucked after installing new rom, which was my problem, i suggest to reinstall it with new one from qbus, http://www.modaco.com/content/i900-general...esearch-thread/ for exampe, who skipped aligning screen after install in his cooked rom.

then install PHM Registry Editor and make registry change, which is described above (7 to 200).

then run screen align from menu but be patient, because it will run just once and not 386 tymes as before. :D

job done!

thanks to ely_az again.

good luck

sorry for my bad english :P

• 1 month later...
Guest compnird
Oook.

LISTEN carefully and sory for the bad English :(

Turn the phone off

turn the phone on

disconnect the cable

reset the phone !

READY

and btw your screen is crappy ! like mine,but i live with it :D

and now you can do the registry thing like sayd my RAKIA brother ;)

Woot! that worked!