Replacement stylus for Touch HD

Guest Chrismobile

Guest Chrismobile

I managed to lose my first stylus within 3 days of getting my Touch HD! :)

It was my own fault - didn't put it away properly and it somehow jumped out of my pocket. Anyway, I slipped in the spare and went online to look for replacements. I was rather surprised to see the "official" ones cost £12 (UK). I ordered some off ebay: 3 for £6 from HK. They arrived yesterday (3 weeks to arrive) and I can imagine they must have cost 2 pence to produce! I dropped one when taking it out of the packaging, it hit the floor and the plastic tip snapped off :) :D They're lighter than the originals, less well-finished and not as magnetic. As a consequence of the last point, they don't stay in the phone as securely and one just fell out yesterday.

So I guess it's a case of "you get what you pay for" - although for £12 I'd expect it to be gold-plated!

Does anyone know a source of genuine styluses (or better imitations) for a more sensible cost?

Thanks

Chris

p.s. Not all gloom and doom - I'm still loving the Touch HD!

Guest Chrismobile
ebay: 3 for £6 from HK. They arrived yesterday (3 weeks to arrive) and I can imagine they must have cost 2 pence to produce! I dropped one when taking it out of the packaging, it hit the floor and the plastic tip snapped off :) :D They're lighter than the originals, less well-finished and not as magnetic.

Update: had my 2nd cheapo one snap. This time as I was putting it away into the HD. The plastic "head" of the stylus broke off at the point where it's attached to the steel. Problem was that the steel part was now snugly inserted in the slot on my HD! I spent a few mins wondering how the *%@k I was going to get it out, but it actually wasn't that difficult in the end. Removing the battery cover allowed access to a short section of the middle of the stylus. Since it was so weakly magnetised (!) , with a bit of poking it came out fairly easily.

So, my advice: definitely avoid the cheapo ones from HK. Instead, bite the bullet and pay more for the real HTC ones. (Or better still - be more careful and don't lose the originall ones!!!)

Chris

(Who's off to the order the HTC ones now. Sheesh - that'll be £20 I've spent on styluses!)